MSC for British families

sealegs14

I'm considering cruising with MSC out of Barcelona with my family in July. I am a little concerned that the clientele and entertainment will be mainly Italian, and have heard mixed opinions.

I went into a High Street TA and they tried to convince me to sale with Royal Caribbean at double the price. The TA referred to MSC cruises as 'sailing jails' with nothing to do and poor quality entertainment for both adults and children. Is this fair or is their commission perhaps higher for Royal Caribbean??

We have sailed NCL twice before and loved it, and are also considering Epic, but this costs 50 percent more. Is it worth the difference?

Thanks for your advice and opinions!

The"sailing jails" comment was certainly harsh! I believe that there are more for kids on the bigger RCCL ships than on MSC, but I don't think it's fair to say there's nothing to do and all the entertainment is poor.

Med sailings on MSC arevery port intensive, so you are not going to be spending huge amounts of time on the ship anyway, which are beautiful and spotlessly clean.

I can't comment on facilities for children, as I've never sailed with them. On a sailing out of Barcelona, Brits are going to be in a small minority. There will be a lot of Italian families onboard as well as a significant number of Spanish. The mix of nationalities is ome of the things I enjoy about MSC. I like feeling truly overseas onboard as well as on land. I'd hate an overseas holiday just surrounded by Brits, but each to their own.

Are you getting a bargain price? If so, is that more important to you than enjoyment? Reading your post, I feel that the activities for the children are upper-most. However, if you are doing a West Med itinierary, they are pretty port-intensive, so how much time would they spend on board?

My only reason for sailing with MSC is price. I can have 2 (or maybe even 3 cruises)for what I would pay for 1 on Cunard. I'm prepared to "rough it" with MSC for that price difference.

I have friends who will not cruise with anyone but Royal Caribbean as they love all the activities. I have other friends who like NCL due to all the different eating venues - something you will not get on MSC where there is the main dining room, the buffet and one "speciality" restaurant (extra cost).

Which ship is the cruise? Reading the passenger reviews on this site may help you decide.

Thanks for your comments.

I thought the TA was a bit harsh and I'm sure all cruise lines have pros and cons and its up to individual preferences. I need to balance cruise price v restaurant choice and entertainment. Tbh we liked the flexibility with NCL, both eating times and restaurant options, and relaxed dress code. Just not sure it's worth he extra money, as Splendida looks like a fantastic ship.

I will keep an eye on availability over the next few weeks then make a choice/take a gamble! Thanks again

Sealegs14 .... Take a look at this link which shows pictures of the Splendida, if you think it resembles a Jail then do not book it ... :)

The kids we saw on the Poesia in november appeared to be having a good time when they were being taken around the ship with the crew members who do that job, admitted there were not many onboard due to the cruise being a Transatlantic but they all looked happy enough.

I am sure the travel agent would be quite happy to sell you an RCI cruise at twice the price as others have said.

http://www.mscnetwork.com/Image-Bank/index_public.php?eLang=1&dLang=1&eCountry=46&kids=8055,8056

I'm considering cruising with MSC out of Barcelona with my family in July. I am a little concerned that the clientele and entertainment will be mainly Italian, and have heard mixed opinions.

Depends on the time you go. Summer holiday in italy: 80% yes, but its funny. All informations you get are in english, the show and music is international, the crew also. Maybe the evening acts in the aft-bars are more italien (carnival, best girl, best boy, ...) Funny for young children.

I went into a High Street TA and they tried to convince me to sale with Royal Caribbean at double the price. The TA referred to MSC cruises as 'sailing jails' with nothing to do and poor quality entertainment for both adults and children. Is this fair or is their commission perhaps higher for Royal Caribbean??

:D,hehe, no comment. Be sure, i never saw a jail on a MSC ship, italien and the rest of the crew love children more than adults.

There are so many activities you can do, so many bars, live music, big shows for you...you can leave children in the host whole day playing.

We have sailed NCL twice before and loved it, and are also considering Epic, but this costs 50 percent more. Is it worth the difference?

First you have the choise of 34 cabins and 20 payment restaurants......think about your cost.

Have a goot trip on a MSC Cruise. Change your travel consultant.

Hi Tom ... I am sure you will agree that a holiday is what you make it and not what you expect others to make for you ... :) regardless of what cruise line you travel with.

Yes.

First i want to cruise. Than i want to see the places and ports and cities.

Than i want good service, if i pay good money. But i dont want to become my waiters best friend. I dont need the handshake with

the captain, and i dont need a wall for climbing. Sometimes, an indoor cabin i like, sometimes it has to be balcony suite.

It depends on the time and the places. Sometimes i like lobster (you get better in the ports in the caribean or mediterian see as on any ship)

sometimes i like a fresh mushroom soup. Gone with the wind....see what next day brings, and make the best of it.

A few years ago I booked MSC first time. I did`t know about it. I just wanted to take "a taxi" to Israel. (I do not fly)

After booking, I found the internet-forums. Lots in German. MSC = bad. MSC = xxxx. MSC = crazy italians...a.s.o.

I had one of the best, nicest vacations all years. Good that I have not heard any other comments but made my own impression.

Often it is not the line, but the passengers who make a trip problematic. MSC offers much for lowcost, but you have to have

a little experience, where and how you get the "1. Class service" on these ships. It exists. Open your eyes and mind.

If i pay 200 $ per Day, i expect 200$ service. But i payed 50$ and got 100 or 200. Every day on MSC. 40 Nights. Sorry. Thats my oppinion.

But it is only valid for me. Others experience a great holiday on the Line XY, i do not like. But I have been minimum a week on XY to see and test for myself.

Yes.

First i want to cruise. Than i want to see the places and ports and cities.

Than i want good service, if i pay good money. But i dont want to become my waiters best friend. I dont need the handshake with

the captain, and i dont need a wall for climbing. Sometimes, an indoor cabin i like, sometimes it has to be balcony suite.

It depends on the time and the places. Sometimes i like lobster (you get better in the ports in the caribean or mediterian see as on any ship)

sometimes i like a fresh mushroom soup. Gone with the wind....see what next day brings, and make the best of it.

A few years ago I booked MSC first time. I did`t know about it. I just wanted to take "a taxi" to Israel. (I do not fly)

After booking, I found the internet-forums. Lots in German. MSC = bad. MSC = xxxx. MSC = crazy italians...a.s.o.

I had one of the best, nicest vacations all years. Good that I have not heard any other comments but made my own impression.

Often it is not the line, but the passengers who make a trip problematic. MSC offers much for lowcost, but you have to have

a little experience, where and how you get the "1. Class service" on these ships. It exists. Open your eyes and mind.

If i pay 200 $ per Day, i expect 200$ service. But i payed 50$ and got 100 or 200. Every day on MSC. 40 Nights. Sorry. Thats my oppinion.

But it is only valid for me. Others experience a great holiday on the Line XY, i do not like. But I have been minimum a week on XY to see and test for myself.

Completely agree Tom.

I have done many cruises on many different cruise lines....Cunard, Carnival, Fred Olsen, RCL, P & O etc. This year we have taken the plunge and are trying MSC....we are a bit apprehensive but are willing to give it a try. I have a teenager and there looks to be good facilities for him. I think its important to form your own opinions...so go on... be adventurous.....give it a go !

I have done many cruises on many different cruise lines....Cunard, Carnival, Fred Olsen, RCL, P & O etc. This year we have taken the plunge and are trying MSC....we are a bit apprehensive but are willing to give it a try. I have a teenager and there looks to be good facilities for him. I think its important to form your own opinions...so go on... be adventurous.....give it a go !

Same we do. And only at the moment we cruise with MSC. We started cruising 20 years ago and i would say we are not the eldest here...:D

I can tell you stories to all your lines. And tell what is good for me and not. Why shall i pay double price for QE to get a cold in their atrium?;)

Even i have some problems with some lines and ships.

But you must try...try...Every ship has its own face, its specials, the very good and very bad things. Everywhere. Some like it, some not. Sometimes the same ship is fantastic, half a year later with new crew a horror.

And you are sure it is not a low-cost-product?

They are very reasonable, especially for those of us who prefer to travel solo. I don't find it low quality though and if I want to pay extra for things that suit me, I have that choice.

I'm not a fan of the American style of service, it's just too intrusive for my tastes and the insincere overly familiarity gets on my nerves, not to mention the in your face trying to sell you yet another drink or something.

I find the decor and style of MSC ships beautiful, elegant and spotlessly clean. I love the multi cultural atmosphere onboard, and the opportunity to meet many different nationalities and practise my language skills.

I dare say I'd get better on Seabourn or Silversea, but then it would have ro be really, really amazing to make up for only getting one holiday in the year instead of half a dozen! Quite fancy giving Poniant a try sometime though.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for your comments.

I thought the TA was a bit harsh and I'm sure all cruise lines have pros and cons and its up to individual preferences. I need to balance cruise price v restaurant choice and entertainment. Tbh we liked the flexibility with NCL, both eating times and restaurant options, and relaxed dress code. Just not sure it's worth he extra money, as Splendida looks like a fantastic ship.

I will keep an eye on availability over the next few weeks then make a choice/take a gamble! Thanks again

All the Fantasia class Ships are fantastic but on Splendida and Fantasia by far and away the best cabins (excluding Yacht Club ) are the eight Grade 12 cabins near the stern on deck 12. They are 50% larger than the other balcony cabins and consequently have 50% bigger balconies

Splendida Grade 12 cabin

P1000442.jpg

pete

Barcelona is the main MSC embarkation port for guests from Ireland as the flights are better than Genoa.

so you should be getting on board with a bunch of other Celts, albeit a slightly different accent will be in use.

Pete

When I saw the ports and an internet company's advertised low cost for the MSC Divina in Dec, 2013, I read reviews and posts on CC so I understood that an MSC cruise would be "different" than others I've been on.

I then called my TA and although he didn't try to switch me to another cruiseline, he and other agents in his office were very unfamiliar with MSC.

He did the booking and in fact, gave me a $50 unboard credit after I mailed him MSC's offer for that which I read online about a month after I booked.

For me, a cruise is either about "the ship and its activities" if we had been to the ports already (loved RCCL Liberty of the Seas) OR about the ports. My best memories of past cruises are the private excursions to the more "non-commercial" ports like Samana, Belize and Dominica.

I also dislike the constant urging to buy a drink, announcements about bingo,

pushing you to go shopping at the ship's recommended stores, etc.

I'm looking forward to the Divina for the "new italian cruiseline experience", but more for the ports that we haven't been to yet.

Barbara

Archived