Inside Cabin

Cellen

I have just booked on Diamond Princess Far East cruise in November 2005 which is very booked up and could only get an inside cabin Caribe Deck J grade. I have cruised 4 times previously but never in an inside cabin - worried what it will be like. Has anyone been in an inside on this ship -how was it?

Is it possible to ask Princess to go on a waiting list to pay for an upgrade if an outside cabin becomes available?

I have been on 21 cruises and about 15 of them have been in an inside room. I prefer to spend less money on the cabin and be able to spend more on excursions, bar etc. The only difference is the cabin is dark if you want an afternoon nap and early in the morning. If I want to look outside then I can go on deck or into any of the public rooms to see out of a "big" window. A lot of mirrors are used and the lighting is really good so the cabin does not seem dark at all.

I think you will be pleasently surprised. Have a wonderful cruise.

Sailing single, I've done alot of inside cabins! In Sept., I'm on the Sea Princess for 21 days in an inside! I turn the TV to the ships web cam to see what its like outdoors, I bring a night light for the bathroom and overall I really don't mind it.

I've done outside and balconies but don't consider them a necessity, getting onboard is the main thing! I called on my cruise after having 2nd thoughts, inside for 21 days the amount of money they wanted was insane so I'll deal with it. I'm bringing a photo frame says Susan's Cruisin (5 x 7) and my little Birthday Beenie Bear to cheer up the room a little.

You'll be o.k., I think! Susie

I agree. Inside is better than no cruise at all. Dark is the word that comes to mind. You will have no problem sleeping day or night. I use the tv turned to the bridge cam if I am in the cabin & want to see outdooes. Remember to set an alarm, as it can be very easy to oversleep. Cabin size is decent. Have an awesome cruise:)

I am the opposite of most. If I could only book an inside cabin, I would wait, save, and rebook when I could afford at least an outside cabin. You miss so much when you are locked into a room without even a window, especially for that long of a voyage. Just my feelings which I know do not agree with others.

Interesting point of view, too! I'm an up very early out and about the ship type person! Sailing alone I want to be around where there's other people, see signs of life! I don't think I miss much when I cruise basically it's dark outside when I'm in my cabin! If I were sailing with a friend, I wouldn't be in an inside cabin.

Susie

For us, it's either an inside cabin or a balcony cabin if we are splurging. The cabins are mostly the same size and design anyway and having a window does not make us stay in the cabin more. We usually find somewhere nice to sit in one of the public areas.

Having a balcony, however, does make a difference to us.....it's nice to be able to sit outside for breakfast or leave the door open.

Hence we never book an outside cabin!

Vicki.

Edited to add: ...... unless it's the same price as an inside when calculating onboard credits, etc. :)

We've cruised in more inside cabins than outside. The darkness is great for sleeping, although it does tend to encourage us to sleep in! We are on the Sea Princess for 14 nights so chose to get an obstructed view cabin to "encourage" us to get out and about (it is also our 25th anniversary). Inside cabins are a great way to cruise more and have more to spend on activities, but some people just can't stand being cooped up!

We had our first room with an obstructed view on last month's trip to alaska, and while it was okay I actually preferred the inside cabin. Two reasons why, first of all, my DW is a creature of the night and prefers to sleep in a really dark room. The second is that our upgraded room was directly above the Windjammer lounge. So we got to listen to the bass player for different sets until 12:30am. But as many have said earlier, you really are not in the cabin all that much and there are lots of quiet public spaces to escape.

we have had inside, oceanview and balcony and liked them all. We had no problem with the inside as far as darkness since we didn't spend much time there. However, for the Tahitian Princess we really did miss the balcony and will not sail that ship again without one. anywhere else, we would have no problem with an inside.

Unless the price difference is less than $300 per person, I can't justify the extra expense for an outside or balcony room. I have done insides, outsides and balconies and find they all have some advantages. Having said that, insides are quieter and darker; I sleep better. I do nothing in the cabins except sleep and shower; the balconies tend to be too windy and/or cold to provide much solace.

I think it all depends on the price/itinerary/ship. I used to think being in an inside cabin is better than no cruise at all, however after last month's cruise on the Dawn in an inside....we have decided to forgo inside cabins regardless of cost. We actually do spend a fair amount of time in our cabin, so I like to see out at least. Of course, a balcony is preferred unless we are on the Sun/Dawn. Depends what we have to pay...

I think that the inside is cozy but remember, you are far away from your cruise and a balcony will surely open up. Just call every day to see. If the price difference is not crazy, go for the balcony. It is worth the money and due to the fact that you are sailing into exotic places, you may appreciate the view too. Also, it will be easier to adjust to the time change with some real light in your cabin.

I agree with the others, if it is inside cabin or no cruise, take the inside, but if you can get a balcony, it is worth the cost. You will enjoy your cabin sooo much more

Is it possible to ask Princess to go on a waiting list to pay for an upgrade if an outside cabin becomes available?

They have a waiting list but really, call every day because the waiting list is a joke. If they have a balcony available, you can upgrade if you pay. It should not be a lot more but don't wait for them to call you. Check their website daily and if you see balcony avail, call them or your ta and grab it.

Archived