Best driving route LGA to cruise terminal

russianmom

We are leaving on the Gem May 4. We will be heading to LGA first to pick up family coming in on a 10:45am flight. Google maps gives 3 choices of routes. Could anyone tell me which is the best- meaning least traffic, fastest time...

1) 278->25 to 59th St to 2nd Ave to 57th St

2) 278 over Randall's island to 87 back on 95 then 9A

3) 278 -> 495 Midtown Tunnel to 1st to 37th to 3rd to 42 to 12

OR a 4th secret squirrel way that a native Manhattanite would like to suggest???

Thanks in advance.

#1 on a after rush hour or weekends relatively little traffic.

no reason to use a toll bridge at all..

r u driving or taking a cab?

the fast way to the 59th street bridge is down 21st avenue to the bridge which a cab driver or limo driver will know...

#1 on a after rush hour or weekends relatively little traffic.

no reason to use a toll bridge at all..

r u driving or taking a cab?

the fast way to the 59th street bridge is down 21st avenue to the bridge which a cab driver or limo driver will know...

My husband is dropping us off after we pick up my cousin at the airport

Where are you coming from? It might make more sense to have the relatives landing at LGA take a cab and just meet you at the port versus you having to go out of your way to get to LGA.

We are coming from CT but my cousin is not much of a traveller and I don't think she would be comfortable with getting a cab so we are going to pick her up...

if you are going to take the 59th street bridge, heres how I would go. from LGA take the grand central pkwy west. get off at exit 45 (31st st, the last exit before the Triboro bridge). follow hoyt ave (when you first get off its astoria blvd but when you pass first light it becomes hoyt) to 21st street. make a left. follow to queens plaza (you will see sign) and make a right onto the ramp for the upper level of the 59th street (queensboro brige). stay in the right lane over bridge and turn right at first traffic light (62nd street) then turn left at the first light (First avenue). follow to 66th street and make a left. follow 66th street (thru central park to the west side and continue) to West end avenue. make a left. follow to 55th street (at 57th street west end ave will change names to 11th ave) and mke a right and 55th street will take you across 12th ave to the port.

• 2 weeks later...
if you are going to take the 59th street bridge, heres how I would go. from LGA take the grand central pkwy west. get off at exit 45 (31st st, the last exit before the Triboro bridge). follow hoyt ave (when you first get off its astoria blvd but when you pass first light it becomes hoyt) to 21st street. make a left. follow to queens plaza (you will see sign) and make a right onto the ramp for the upper level of the 59th street (queensboro brige). stay in the right lane over bridge and turn right at first traffic light (62nd street) then turn left at the first light (First avenue). follow to 66th street and make a left. follow 66th street (thru central park to the west side and continue) to West end avenue. make a left. follow to 55th street (at 57th street west end ave will change names to 11th ave) and mke a right and 55th street will take you across 12th ave to the port.

As a life-long New Yorker and master of shortcuts, this is EXACTLY how I would go. Only caveat is if the 59th St bridge has a problem, which is rare. In that case, stay on the Grand Central, traveling over the RFK Bridge to Manhattan (stay right approaching tolls). Follow signs to FDR Drive South and exit at 71st Street. Continue all the way west on 71st Street to where it dead ends at Central Park and make a left on Fifth Avenue. Make a right at 66th Street into the Central Park transverse and continue the instructions as above.

As a life-long New Yorker and master of shortcuts, this is EXACTLY how I would go. Only caveat is if the 59th St bridge has a problem, which is rare. In that case, stay on the Grand Central, traveling over the RFK Bridge to Manhattan (stay right approaching tolls). Follow signs to FDR Drive South and exit at 71st Street. Continue all the way west on 71st Street to where it dead ends at Central Park and make a left on Fifth Avenue. Make a right at 66th Street into the Central Park transverse and continue the instructions as above.

Thank you! :)

Archived