Proposing on Freedom of the Seas

Hello,

So i am going on the Freedom of the Seas in April and am planning on proposing to my girlfriend. I have already called RC but they want to charge $450 and I don't want to do anything that crazy. My ideal situation is propose either on the formal night during pictures, or see if I can get the band before karaoke to play our song and do it then. Any suggestions on who I could possibly contact about making either of those happen? Or does anyone else have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for all of your suggestions!

This sounds like a good opportunity for the Cruise Director to get involved with the surprise proposal. Make it some type of interaction before one of the shows. I think the audience in the theater would enjoy it.

Hello,

So i am going on the Freedom of the Seas in April and am planning on proposing to my girlfriend. I have already called RC but they want to charge $450 and I don't want to do anything that crazy. My ideal situation is propose either on the formal night during pictures, or see if I can get the band before karaoke to play our song and do it then. Any suggestions on who I could possibly contact about making either of those happen? Or does anyone else have any suggestions?

What were they actually going to do for $450 ?????

Thanks everyone for the ideas so far!

They were going to let me meet with the cruise director, provide breakfast in bed, 1 rose, chocolate covered strawberries, and help me plan the process. I already have great ideas, and with the help you guys are giving, don't need more ideas just need help executing. Im not sure if they would provide $450 worth of help lol

Does anyone know if you can email the cruise director? Or should I attempt to contact him the first day we get on ship as I want to do it during the formal night which is the 2nd night.

Courtesy of DonnaK (cruise critic member)...

Freedom OTS - Drew Devine January 6 though April 14. Richard Spacey is replacing Graham Seymour as the regular CD on Freedom beginning April 14, (Richard is arriving on April 7, so there will be a week's overlap)

Someone w more info. than I can probably help with email info....

Congrats!

Hello,

What date sailing in April ??

GREAT thank you brigbound and ticktoneer for your help! I will be sailing the 7 night western Caribbean cruise leaving on April 28th out of Port Canaveral.

I cant thank you all enough for your help! As you can tell by my name I'm a bit nervous( not that she wont say yes) but just for the whole process

I've thrown this idea out before, but here goes.

If you have a balcony cabin, I would wait until she is occupied in the cabin with something (doing her hair,etc). Go out to the balcony and kneel so that you are obscured by the curtain, then call out to her that she needs to come out quick, you see a whale or a dolphin or something. When she flies out, be on one knee with the ring.

I'd bet she'd forgive your trick :)

Good luck and congratualtions!

My husband proposed to me on the Navigator of the seas and it was a low key affair but still very romantic. Once on board, he talked to the manager at Chops and told him that he would like to do something special for the proposal. After a delicious dinner at Chops on Christmas night, a special dessert for me was served with my ring in the middle of the plate, it was amazing (the ring & dessert:))

My husband also bought roses on board and arranged in with our room steward to have roses in the room & petals on the bed.

Have one of the towel animals holding a "Will you marry me?" sign...

Get one of those obnoxious looking drinks with the umbrellas and fancy straws and put the ring around the straw...

Have the ring put in the bottom of a glass of champagne on formal night...

Breakfast in bed with the ring on the tray and a small note...

Hire a prop plane to fly out with the Marry Me banner all around the Caribbean until she sees it....

Train a dolphin to jump up to the balcony with the ring in it's mouth...

:)

Honestly, after all my years of cruising, the most romantic thing on a cruise, to me, is going out on the deck on a clear night and seeing the BAZILLION stars out! It's amazing!! Especially if you can find a deck where you can lay back on cushions or lounges and hear some music in the background. Only issue is you'd have to count on the weather to get a good night. It's often windy on the decks at night, especially in the open areas where you can see the sky clearly!

This sounds like a good opportunity for the Cruise Director to get involved with the surprise proposal. Make it some type of interaction before one of the shows. I think the audience in the theater would enjoy it.

While this is a good idea I am the type of person that would be mortified if my husband had done this to me. I would propose somewhere quiet and not in front of a bunch of people/strangers.

Courtesy of DonnaK (cruise critic member)...

Freedom OTS - Drew Devine January 6 though April 14. Richard Spacey is replacing Graham Seymour as the regular CD on Freedom beginning April 14, (Richard is arriving on April 7, so there will be a week's overlap)

Someone w more info. than I can probably help with email info....

Congrats!

I believe Richard Spacey was the CD on the Explorer, last November. If so, he is fabulous! How about doing this just before they begin the Newlywed, not so Newlywed game? You could be one of the couples they invite to participate.

GREAT thank you brigbound and ticktoneer for your help! I will be sailing the 7 night western Caribbean cruise leaving on April 28th out of Port Canaveral.

I cant thank you all enough for your help! As you can tell by my name I'm a bit nervous( not that she wont say yes) but just for the whole process

Now, I'm excited; we're on that cruise. Will be watching for you.

Why not come and join the April 28th roll call? You can meet some of your fellow cruisers who may have some suggestions.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and wedded bliss.

My husband proposed to me on Rhapsody. It was very low key but lovely. It was formal night and after dinner we went up on deck and he proposed to me under the stars to the sound of the ocean. We also had our honeymoon on Rhapsody. Good memories:)

Congratulations!

I've thrown this idea out before, but here goes.

If you have a balcony cabin, I would wait until she is occupied in the cabin with something (doing her hair,etc). Go out to the balcony and kneel so that you are obscured by the curtain, then call out to her that she needs to come out quick, you see a whale or a dolphin or something. When she flies out, be on one knee with the ring.

I'd bet she'd forgive your trick :)

Good luck and congratualtions!

Maybe you could get an electric candle and bring on a bottleof wine (Sparkling) and add that to the mix. Best of luck!

~Doris~

Thanks for the ideas! We do have a balcony room and I like the idea of proposing under the stars on our balcony. Although neither of us are the shy type, I'm not sure I want to do it during/before a show because I still want it to have some sort of privacy, although the videos i have seen of people proposing during shows are amazing! Does anyone know if it is possible to talk to the Cruise Director once on board? Like I said, I don't mind spending money for them to help as this is a once in a lifetime situation, however I don't want all of the extras they were trying to charge me for.

Awe, I got chills reading this thread because my husband proposed to me on the Celebrity Solstice.

If it helps, here's how he did it - we had dinner reservations at the specialty steakhouse that night (can't remember the name), and he went down earlier in the day to speak with the Maître D to pre-select Champagne and gave instructions for them to come over after he proposed. He proposed right after we sat down, got down on one knee and everything, and the rest of the diners didn't really notice. Champagne came over, and I can't remember the rest of my meal! Lots of fun and celebrating after that - our MDR waiter even brought a bottle of Champagne over at dinner the next night for our whole table to celebrate. Such a wonderful memory!

My Grandson proposed on the Jewel Of the Sea in January. He did not want to pay the 450 either. The cruise director set up a violin and piano at sunset and he went down on one knee . They then joined us for dinner in the MDR. Very romantic.

Over $400 sounds ridiculous!! My boyfriend (now fiancé!) proposed on the freedom in January. It was fabulous, he had purchased a romance package for around $100 dollars which included champagne, roses, breakfast in bed, canapés in the room on formal nights, chocolates and cupcakes in the room when we arrived on board and a photo package with a RCI frame!! Was great value compared to what you are being offered and we now have a great photo in our lovely frame from the night we got engaged. Graham Seymour would help out no problems....maybe try emailing him so you won't be worrying about finding him that first night :) best of luck!!

Archived