ANTALYA Turkey port of call

Thank you Mary Ann. That info helps a lot. We really just want to stay in the town and explore on foot. It sounds like there will be plenty to do. Any suggestions for restaurants?

Be advised that the town itself is about a half hour from where the ship docks (there is nothing at all near the port, which is very industrial). You'll have to either take a shuttle or a taxi into town and back.

I wish I could remember the name of the lovely restaurant where I ate last time I was in Antalya. It's part of a small, deluxe hotel that is actually built into the old Ottoman walls. The restaurant is on a little terrace that looks right out over the lovely waterfront/beach area. I found it by just walking around in the old section of town where there are also some lovely shops.

If you think you'd really be interested, I can look through my papers from that visit to see if I saved a card or wrote down the name.

The name of the place I mentioned above is "Kale Bar" (bar often means more than just a bar in Europe, not like in the US):

P1030001.JPG

Here's a photo of the walls, with the entrance shown to the right:

P1050365.JPG

This is the view from the terrace where I ate lunch:

P1050374.JPG

And a couple of photos from walking around the old town:

P1020014.jpg

P1050367.JPG

Thank you so much for looking up the name of the restaurant and for posting the photos. I've added the Kale Bar to our list. I can't wait to get there especially since we woke up to 10 inches of snow this morning.

Two years ago, we spent four days in Antalya. We very much enjoyed exploring the old town (where we stayed). Lots to see. You could also go down to the old port and barter for a cruise along the coast. Never pay what they first ask, in fact you should be able to get them for half of the asking price.

We also very much enjoyed the Archaeology Museum. Lots to see and extremely well done. This is not the museum in the old town, but rather the one on the way to the beaches. The tram goes there.

The highlight of our visit was going to Termessos. It is an ancient town in the mountains outside of town. We had a rental car but if you find a tour be advised that the hike up is somewhat strenuous and appropriate footwear is advised.

We did go to the waterfalls but were really not impressed. They would rank at the bottom of our list.

Iancal, you make me want to go back. That whole coast of Turkey is so wonderful. We were in five ports in Turkey, but that was not enough. Turkey is high on our list for a several week DIY trip. The people are so friendly, the weather is great and there is so much of interest.

• 2 weeks later...
We are stopping at Antalya Turkey on our 10-day Holy Land Sojourn in November and cannot find much, or any, information on this port. Has anyone been to this port? Any suggestions on what to do for the day?

Hi, we may be on the same cruise. HAL Rotterdam? I'm going to check for a roll call.

I am from Jaffrey, NH and my dad is from Worchester. I have an aunt and uncle in Chelmsford.

Archived