So I called customer service to book a cruise and...

spcannon

She finally did call back about half an hour after my original post. She didn't know what went wrong but she said she got it all worked out. The cabin she put us in we're completely different that the ones she originally assigned us but they were comparable and she was able to maintain the pricing I found online. She gave me the booking numbers, a number and extension where she said i could reach her back directly and said she would email confirmations. I didn't receive them until after we hung up. When I got the confirmation for the kids cabin (who prefer an inside cabin as they do not want to be woken up by that demon light called the sun) my daughter was booked twice under her vifp number and under one of her brother's vifp numbers. So I promptly called back the number she gave me, which turned out to be the commercial line for travel agents, and waited to be prompted for an extension and it never gave the option. After being on hold for about 20 minutes someone answered. I told her the situation and finally I was talking to someone that seemed competent. She said she had no idea how my daughter's name got attached to my son's number, but she was able to fix it in no time and she was also pretty critical of the fact that my original rep didn't put any notes in regarding the kids being in their own room so she added some. I really prefer to do it online myself but as I went through several mock bookings I couldn't ever get the same rooms to show available because of the 10 at a time thing on the website. The only time I used a travel agent I had no control over the booking and had to call them for everything. So hopefully next time I will get luckier with the website or we go back to 7 people in two rooms and it doesn't matter where the cabins are... For now all is good - thanks for all the advice I will definitely try to get the name of a competent pvp before I book like this again.

So too each his own and to state you wouldn't put your worst enemy in one is a little ridiculous.

I wouldn't put my worst enemy in an interior room. I mean- why would I buy my worst enemy a free cruise!

To the OP: glad to hear you got it mostly worked out...

She finally did call back about half an hour after my original post. She didn't know what went wrong but she said she got it all worked out. The cabin she put us in we're completely different that the ones she originally assigned us but they were comparable and she was able to maintain the pricing I found online. She gave me the booking numbers, a number and extension where she said i could reach her back directly and said she would email confirmations. I didn't receive them until after we hung up. When I got the confirmation for the kids cabin (who prefer an inside cabin as they do not want to be woken up by that demon light called the sun) my daughter was booked twice under her vifp number and under one of her brother's vifp numbers. So I promptly called back the number she gave me, which turned out to be the commercial line for travel agents, and waited to be prompted for an extension and it never gave the option. After being on hold for about 20 minutes someone answered. I told her the situation and finally I was talking to someone that seemed competent. She said she had no idea how my daughter's name got attached to my son's number, but she was able to fix it in no time and she was also pretty critical of the fact that my original rep didn't put any notes in regarding the kids being in their own room so she added some. I really prefer to do it online myself but as I went through several mock bookings I couldn't ever get the same rooms to show available because of the 10 at a time thing on the website. The only time I used a travel agent I had no control over the booking and had to call them for everything. So hopefully next time I will get luckier with the website or we go back to 7 people in two rooms and it doesn't matter where the cabins are... For now all is good - thanks for all the advice I will definitely try to get the name of a competent pvp before I book like this again.

Another way to find a good pvp. Join your roll call and on the ship ask for recommendations at meet and greet.

I would use a professional cruise TA such as Vacations To Go. If I call my guy and get his voice mail he always calls back as soon as he is done with what he's doing. I can also send him an email and almost always he answers immediately.

And on his days off, I can even call him on his cell phone on the golf course.

Please do not book the kids in an interior they will regret it for life:D At least put them in an Oceanview or even a balcony. Even I would be too claustrophobic in an interior without a window.

Even the sleepers on Amtrak have a window so why shouldn't your kids.

Splurge a bit and give the kids an OV.

Due to the PVP not calling you back as stated calls for an automatic upgrade of the kids room to an OV or higher. I'm being serious. I wouldn't put my worst enemy in an interior cabin on a cruise.

Enjoy the cruise and please let us know how the booking goes.

I almost always book an inside cabin so I can afford taking 4 or 5 cruises a year. I've only booked a balcony a couple of times and all I could think about is how the balcony is costing me $40-$50 a day extra and that's the cost of another cruise. If you want to see the water get your butt out of the cabin and on deck.

Please do not book the kids in an interior they will regret it for life:D At least put them in an Oceanview or even a balcony. Even I would be too claustrophobic in an interior without a window.

Even the sleepers on Amtrak have a window so why shouldn't your kids.

Splurge a bit and give the kids an OV.

Due to the PVP not calling you back as stated calls for an automatic upgrade of the kids room to an OV or higher. I'm being serious. I wouldn't put my worst enemy in an interior cabin on a cruise.

Enjoy the cruise and please let us know how the booking goes.

I totally disagree with you. We love the interior as it's great for sleeping. We are rarely in our cabin.

I needed to book 3 rooms, OV for DH & I, OV for inlaws, interior for 3 kids. I like to book online but with the multiple rooms I wasn't having any luck. I called a little over 2 hours ago - because I wanted a new booking someone answered immediately. It took her 40 minutes to get the same prices I was getting online. Then something happened and she said she needed help and put me on hold. She came back on about 15 minutes later and said she had to start all over but she was still having problems and put me on hold again. She came back to tell me she hadn't made any progress after 10 more minutes and since I had already been on the phone for an hour I asked if she could call me back when she got it sorted out. She confirmed my number and said she would call back. It has been over an hour since I got off the phone. Do you think I will get a call back or do I need to just start over? Thanks.

Try calling a travel agent/cruise consultant...i've had nothing but great experiences getting what I want and when I want it, and she always gives me OBC! :D

Try calling a travel agent/cruise consultant...i've had nothing but great experiences getting what I want and when I want it, and she always gives me OBC! :D

But my experience with TA is they charge you a booking fee - at least the one's here (including my cousin).

I like my PVP. I booked with a friend's TA and she screwed up my reservation - and I didn't feel like I could complain too much because my friend liked her and she always treated my friend well.

I think it is too bad that the OP had such trouble with booking.

But my experience with TA is they charge you a booking fee - at least the one's here (including my cousin).

I like my PVP. I booked with a friend's TA and she screwed up my reservation - and I didn't feel like I could complain too much because my friend liked her and she always treated my friend well.

I think it is too bad that the OP had such trouble with booking.

TA's make their money by getting a commission from the cruise line. If they are also charging you a booking fee then they are double dipping and I would find a new TA. In fact, that is why I stopped using one of the big online agencies. That agency no longer charges a booking fee. However, neither does my current TA and I am staying with my current TA. So that online agency lost over $6,000 in commissions all for a $15 booking fee.

There are plenty of good TAs that do not charge a booking fee.

Archived