All Inclusive Unlimited Excursion Package

susietb

We were on a 10 day Miami/Miami in January. When we received the booklet the "unlimited Excursion" look interesting, but when we chose our excursions the a la carte, less discounts, worked out less. You do pay a premium for O services, and can generally do MUCH better by joining with others on your roll call and arranging private, small group excursions.

Do note that each cruise has its own minimum and charges for the excursion packages.

You also asked about the quality of O's excursions.

You'll get conflicting reports, of course. We usually prefer smaller private tours but we have frequently taken O's tours -- perhaps 1 or 2 on a cruise, not more than that -- and in general have found them to be of excellent quality, although with more people than we would like. There have been a very few losers in the bunch but in general if we're in a place where we can't find a guide for ourselves and a ship's tour looks interesting, we may well take it.

Some people assert that O's tours are awful, but I haven't found that to be the case. Again, it can be the luck of the draw. (And if by definition a large group = awful, then it's a foregone conclusion.)

But we've never take one of their packages, just because we prefer smaller groups.

I think you will find that the majority of CC members will opt for private tours over ship's tours: they tend to be smaller, they're almost always less expensive.

OTOH, if you ever have a concern about getting back to the ship on time (and we've had one or two close calls) a ship's tour is safer. The one time we really would have missed the boat we were on a ship's tour and so the ship waited for us.

Mura

I also think a lot has to do with where it is. If we are in a mainstream place then I have no fear of a taxi tour or private tour group. If it is in some off the wall place then I want the safety of the ships tour. We have taken lots of cruises and have heard lots of stories about getting left behind in a port or not being on the first tender. I guess it boils down to you can't have your cake and eat too.

We usually prefer smaller private tours but we have frequently taken O's tours -- perhaps 1 or 2 on a cruise, not more than that -- and in general have found them to be of excellent quality, although with more people than we would like. There have been a very few losers in the bunch but in general if we're in a place where we can't find a guide for ourselves and a ship's tour looks interesting, we may well take it.

I think you will find that the majority of CC members will opt for private tours over ship's tours: they tend to be smaller, they're almost always less expensive.

Compare in detail to be sure what's included and quality of transportation.

One time joined other CC members and we were to save over the ship's tour price, but...

Tickets to attractions were included in ship's price, not local tour

Ship also got the tix for ahead, we had to wait in line

Snokle gear included in ship's price, not local tour

Local operator had micro van and it was packed full with 6 of us +driver +guide, poor A/C, rough ride. Ship bus was far bigger and nicer

Local operator stopped at several stands and shops where I'm sure he got a commission

So total cost was higher and quality lower

We just did the 30 day cruise around SA and we bought the "Your World" package. We had 21 days in port and on this cruise you had to buy at least 12 tours to do this package. If I remember, with this package we got 25% off the ala carte tours and we could add or delete any tours before embarkation. After embarkation, there could be no changes, I believe. I figured it out and I believe that was the better deal.....rather than the all inclusive package for us. (We took tours in all expept two smaller ports.) We were generally pleased (with exception of one tour in Rio Grande, Brazil) with the ship's tours. The tour buses were very clean (usually had toilets) and usually between 20/25 people with always several empty seats on back of bus. Yes, the ship tours are expensive, I think, but to us it is worth it. We feel much more secure with no work and no worries about getting back on time, etc. Just less hassle to me to do the ship's tours, so am willing to pay the price.

Archived