Port Change - La Spezia now, was Livorno. Change Itinerary?

paylady

We will be visiting the Mediterranean for the first time this fall on Serenade of the Seas. We were originally scheduled to dock in Livorno. The plan was to do a Rome in Limo tour to Florence and San Gimignano. With the port change to La Spezia, I'm wondering if we should stick to the amended Rome in Limo tour (Florence and Lucca). We are currently scheduled with an RIL tour began by another CC person. I'm wondering if I should start my own RIL tour with a different itinerary.

My two options would be another Rome in Limo tour:

1) Florence only, given the approximate two hour drive to Florence and back.

2) Cinque Terre

I am really torn because I want to see Florence and also want to tour the towns of the Cinque Terre. I am hoping this won't be our first and only cruise to the Med, so I realize whatever I choose we will have a chance to see the other option on a later trip.

I've wanted to see Florence for a long time. On the other hand, a two hour ride there and the same ride back might be a bit much especially when we have a ride from Civitavecchia the next day for Rome. I'm concerned we will burn out trying to squeeze in Florence. While there, I'd also like some time for shopping and lunch.

I'd appreciate any thoughts folks may have about my options.

I would definitely not want to spend that amount of time getting to and back from Florence for just a couple of hours. The Cinque Terre would be the obvious alternative from La Spezia and is easily done on your own. The area is beautiful and I am sure you would enjoy your day and then be ready to tackly Rome the next day.

Tough call, but we've been lucky enough to spend about five days in Florence and would probably return some day, so I wouldn't spend four hours in transit to spend a rushed few hours in the city.

There are two good options for Cinqueterre:

1. DIY: ride the regional train to Riomaggiore and then visit any or all of the four northern villages before returning by train -- or riding the ferry from Monterosso to Riomaggiore and then hopping on the train;

2. Tour: check the CC Roll Call and join a group that wants to split the cost among 6-8 people.

We visited the villages via a van tour from Florence, and our only regret was that we would like to have spent a bit more time in Vernazza and Riomaggiore. BTW, the ferry ride gives you great views of each village, and the boat stops at each for a few minutes.

The four time efficient options from La Spezia are :

- Pisa , train , trip 1 hour each way .

- Portovenere . Bus P from a Bus Stop marked P in La Spezia (in Via Garabaldi near the intersection of Corso Cavour) . Departures 25 & 55 minutes past the hour, trip time 30 minutes .

- Cinque Terre - train from La Spezia Centrale station. Go first to Vernazza, then by train up to Manarola then walk the Lovers Walk to Riomaggiore . Forget Monterosso and Corniglia if you only have one day .

- Lucca . Train from La Spezia with a change at Viareggio . Trip time approx 90 minutes each way .

- Forget Firenze too far .

Firenze - needs minimum 3 days , and so to does really the magical Cinque Terre.

(But cruise lines don't make money from boats sitting in ports do they ?)

We will be visiting the Mediterranean for the first time this fall on Serenade of the Seas. We were originally scheduled to dock in Livorno. The plan was to do a Rome in Limo tour to Florence and San Gimignano. With the port change to La Spezia, I'm wondering if we should stick to the amended Rome in Limo tour (Florence and Lucca). We are currently scheduled with an RIL tour began by another CC person. I'm wondering if I should start my own RIL tour with a different itinerary.

2) Cinque Terre

I am really torn because I want to see Florence and also want to tour the towns of the Cinque Terre. I am hoping this won't be our first and only cruise to the Med, so I realize whatever I choose we will have a chance to see the other option on a later trip.

I've wanted to see Florence for a long time. On the other hand, a two hour ride there and the same ride back might be a bit much especially when we have a ride from Civitavecchia the next day for Rome. I'm concerned we will burn out trying to squeeze in Florence. While there, I'd also like some time for shopping and lunch.

I think if Florence is at the top of your bucket list, then that is what you should see. There are plenty of people who spend 90 minutes each way seeing Florence from Livorno and also Rome from Civitavecchia without a thought. Another 15 or so minutes isn't a big deal in my opinion.

I would go with a recommended private tour company. We've used Romeinlimo almost exclusively throughout Italy and have always been more than satisfied. They can make the visit effortless and give you as much time in Florence as possible. You just cannot do that on your on. Even with renting a car or taking public transportation, there are just too many waiting around factors and worry that I just don't see the savings being worth it when you've spent thousands on traveling to a place like Italy. If you end up going with Romeinlimo, I would have them make you reservations for the Accadamia museum. I think seeing the David there is one of the coolest things I've seen in any museum.

Have a great time, and again... if Florence is really what you want to see, it's not all that further than if you docked in Livorno. It's totally worth it. That said, Romeinlimo also does a great Cinque Terre tour also.

I wouldn't let anyone tell you that Florence is too far. No one says that when they are docking in Livorno... that makes no sense.

2) Cinque Terre

The Cinque Terre is closer to La Spezia than Livorno. I have been to Cinque Terra four times and Florence once. I love the Cinque Terre. Florence is lovely and everyone should go there once in their lives. It will be a long day to Go to Florence. With the extra driving time I would find out what you are guaranteed to see in Florence. If you are not going to spend the amount of time that you wanted at the specific sites in Florence, I would go to the Cinque Terra. However, you might want to reconsider Cinque Terra if mobility is a problem.

If you are willing to travel to Italy independent of a cruise. You could stay in Tuscany and very easily see Florence, Sienna, Sam Gimignana, Lucca, and do some wonderful wine tastings in the area. Just something to consider.

This sure has the makings of a passionate argument. Let me throw you a curve ball. Assuming you have the time and funds, why not pre or post cruise to Italy and spend a few days in Florence? If you canswing it, you will not regret it. We did it in 2010 and will be doing it again in 12 days, but I'm using frequent flyer miles and hotel points to cover additional costs post cruise. Regardless, good luck and have a great trip!

Z and TB

I would definitely go to Cinque Terre, since you are so much closer! Next time go to Florence. Notice I said next time. Italy needs so much time and quite a few vacations to do it right. I just did Florence and San Gimignano with Rome In Limo and had a wonderful time, but I went from Livorno. However, do what your heart is telling you to do and return to Italy one day! I had a driver from Genoa one time and ended up canceling Cinque Terre because driving distance was so long, and of course, anything can happen!:)

I have been to Florence twice for a total of six days and have barely scratched the surface. I have been to Cinque Terre twice, once overnight and would love to go back.

Florence has so much, that a part day seems silly to me. It would give you a poor idea of what Florence is. To appreciate it you need time to understand all the historic art and buildings.

You can get a decent taste of Cinque Terre in one day. Corniglia is the best in my opinion because it is a bit harder to get to and so less touristy. You go to CT because they are pretty villages climbing up from the sea in a spectacular setting. You can wander around, eat, shop and people watch. This makes for a pleasant day.

To really experience CT you would need to stay there at least one night but a day there is still worthwhile.

Archived