Sony Cybershot DSC 100V

Hi There

I love my Sony Cybershot DSC 100v camera but would like to start carrying around a smaller camera. Is there a smaller camera out there that compares to my Sony? I particularly love the sweep panorama and viewfinder but really love everything about it.

Hi There

I love my Sony Cybershot DSC 100v camera but would like to start carrying around a smaller camera. Is there a smaller camera out there that compares to my Sony? I particularly love the sweep panorama and viewfinder but really love everything about it.

Check out the HX30V. Small but with a considerable zoom. Controls will be familiar to you.

For the best pocket camera on the market today look at the Sony RX-100. Large sensor with incredible image quality. Only a 28-100 zoom but that covers 98% of what people take pictures of and the imaging is quite good enough to permit considerable cropping instead of more zoom. Pricey, but unmatched by anything in it's class.

Dave

Check out the HX30V. Small but with a considerable zoom. Controls will be familiar to you.

For the best pocket camera on the market today look at the Sony RX-100. Large sensor with incredible image quality. Only a 28-100 zoom but that covers 98% of what people take pictures of and the imaging is quite good enough to permit considerable cropping instead of more zoom. Pricey, but unmatched by anything in it's class.

Dave

I presently have a Sony DSC-HXC9V, and love it, but I have been looking at the specs and reviews of the Sony RX-100, and trying to decide to move up now or wait until Sony comes out with something still better.

Your thoughts, Dave?

Rick

I presently have a Sony DSC-HXC9V, and love it, but I have been looking at the specs and reviews of the Sony RX-100, and trying to decide to move up now or wait until Sony comes out with something still better.

Your thoughts, Dave?

Rick

I honestly don't see a huge leap in sensor technology in the next couple of years and that would be the next leap beyond the RX-100 worth waiting for for me. Another leap on the horizon would be the rumored RX-10 which would be between the Rx-100 and the full-frame RX-1 with a APS-C sensor. Sort of a more compact, fixed-lens NEX. Probably in the $1000-$1200 range.

At the moment, there is nothing better than the RX-100 in a comparable size and I'm expecting any potential RX-200 would be an incremental improvement and wouldn't blow it out of the water. The way I look at it, if I am wrong I will be stuck with a fabulous high-performing pocket camera for a couple of years until there is a leap worth draining the camera fund.:D

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
I honestly don't see a huge leap in sensor technology in the next couple of years and that would be the next leap beyond the RX-100 worth waiting for for me. Another leap on the horizon would be the rumored RX-10 which would be between the Rx-100 and the full-frame RX-1 with a APS-C sensor. Sort of a more compact, fixed-lens NEX. Probably in the $1000-$1200 range.

At the moment, there is nothing better than the RX-100 in a comparable size and I'm expecting any potential RX-200 would be an incremental improvement and wouldn't blow it out of the water. The way I look at it, if I am wrong I will be stuck with a fabulous high-performing pocket camera for a couple of years until there is a leap worth draining the camera fund.:D

Dave

Dave, thanks for your well trained eye. We leave Tuesday morning for Europe, and I can still pick up a RX-100. My greatest concern, which Sony does not address, is a grip, as my present Sony has.

What do you recommend from a 3rd party?

Rick

Archived