Best month for Alaska?

blazerjan

Hoonah is a delightful town that was (as still is) designated on Royal Caribbean cruise itineraries, both southbound and northbound, as Icy Strait Point.

Below is a link to the National Park Service/Glacier Bay featuring a short video called Humpback Whales. The caption next to the video says "Enjoy the sights and sounds of a pod of humpback whales spouting and surfacing in Icy Strait near Glacier Bay National Park."

http://www.nps.gov/glba/naturescience/humpback-whales-in-glacier-bay.htm

The Alaska Whale Foundation also has some interesting facts about Humpback Whale pods.

http://www.alaskawhalefoundation.org/socialforaging[/

Pod is misleading. I gave my explaination and stand by it. Humpbacks have very well researched relationships, confirming they group by chance and with one purpose in Alaska- eating. "Pod" has a LOT of people thinking otherwise. In Hawaii- the "groupings" are way more interactive among the males, fighting for mating "rights". None of these are family groups that remain fixed. The use of the word "pod" is never used with the Atlantic researchers, which I have gone out with a few times on their research trips. It's a generic word in the above.

We're looking at May 10 for 2014 on the Norwegian Pearl - is there any real disadvantages/advantages to doing early May? We're not going for weather, but following on from a hawaii cruise - this is the only time they will link in.

Your subject line asks "best month" but your message asks for "lower fares". The two aren't necessarily the same. Best for what? If all you want is best price, go May or September. If you care about weather (you say you don't) or wildlife viewing, those aren't necessarily best. Do you want to fish? See bears? Going to Denali? You won't see salmon running in May and therefore not likely to see bears. Many things are still not open in early May. Some things may close or not be available by September, such as glacier dog sledding. You need to consider everything you want to do and see, and then decide what month is "best" for you. Don't just go by price.

hello

i was looking at a cruise to alaska may 31 for $599.i know that is a great price.is that a good time to go?

We're looking at May 10 for 2014 on the Norwegian Pearl - is there any real disadvantages/advantages to doing early May? We're not going for weather, but following on from a hawaii cruise - this is the only time they will link in.

What ship are you taking from Hawaii??

There actually would be many ships available if you can add a few days in Seattle/Vancouver.

With weather not of any concern to you, it could be a great choice. There will be a couple tours not operating, and hiking will be limited due to snow bound trails in the upper elevations.

General- a ship with a Tracy Arm itinerary is 90% likely to go to Endicott Arm instead which is a distant alternative choice.

hello

i was looking at a cruise to alaska may 31 for $599.i know that is a great price.is that a good time to go?

You may also see lower prices, if you are flexible. Especially the one ways- can have huge price dumps. :) Last year Princess had a lot of their August sailings down to $399.

The last several years, HAL- in the fall has had free 3/4 add ons which significantly lowers the overall pp rates. :) I picked up both for last years trip.

I would go in September vs May as there may be issues of ice that prevents the ship from going too far into places. we went the middle of May and the ship could not go all the way into Tracy Arm.

best time is over July 4th

I would go in September vs May as there may be issues of ice that prevents the ship from going too far into places. we went the middle of May and the ship could not go all the way into Tracy Arm.

best time is over July 4th

The later Sept sailings don't make the full Tracy Arm transits either, if they have an afternoon schedule, they have to be out before dark.

The Tracy Arm cruiseship transits are more likely mid June and on. BUT overall, only about 25% make the full 30 mile dead end trip. Always- grossly superior is any add on Tracy Arm ship excursion.

Archived