Air Conditioning on Carnival Magic

Hello,

I am one of those who cannot sleep unless the room is super cold. We are going on the Carnival Magic in September. I've been looking at pictures, but I have been unable to determine how the A/C is controlled in our balcony cabin.

Is it controlled by the staff? Or do we have our own thermostat in the room? Is it a window type unit, or a central air type set up?

Thanks...

I also like it very cool when I sleep, and on most cruises I've found the cabins a bit warm to my liking, even when the a/c is turned down all the way. On our recent Magic cruise I didn't have that problem; we actually found it too cool a couple of nights!

I also like it very cool when I sleep, and on most cruises I've found the cabins a bit warm to my liking, even when the a/c is turned down all the way. On our recent Magic cruise I didn't have that problem; we actually found it too cool a couple of nights!

That's a relief to hear. I am always worried about sleeping at hotels or other places because I think it's going to be too warm, haha. I lived in Kuwait and Iraq for 2 years, and whenever the A/C went out in my room (which was weekly) I knew I wasn't going to get any sleep that night! :mad:

I guess if it gets too cold, I'll prop open the balcony door, heh heh....;)

That's a relief to hear. I am always worried about sleeping at hotels or other places because I think it's going to be too warm, haha. I lived in Kuwait and Iraq for 2 years, and whenever the A/C went out in my room (which was weekly) I knew I wasn't going to get any sleep that night! :mad:

I believe the comforters on the bed are Down.......or at least they feel like it or something like it. Anyway, I have a hard time sometimes b/c I like the AC turned up, but then the comforter gets too hot and I throw it off, but then the room is so cold, I pull the sheet up......but then its still cold so I pull the comforter on...........and replay............lol

Hello,

I am one of those who cannot sleep unless the room is super cold. We are going on the Carnival Magic in September. I've been looking at pictures, but I have been unable to determine how the A/C is controlled in our balcony cabin.

Is it controlled by the staff? Or do we have our own thermostat in the room? Is it a window type unit, or a central air type set up?

Thanks...

A/C happiness across the board is a very hard thing for us marine engineers to obtain. On most cruise ships, there are huge central A/C units that will supply several decks of cabins in each fire zone. This temperature is controlled by the engineers, and is set for an acceptable average. This will normally come into your cabin through one vent, or one half of the vent. There is then a small A/C unit for your cabin (frequently located under the sink) that is controlled by the thermostat in the cabin. This will be a separate vent, or the other half of a single vent. This unit can heat or cool your cabin to some extent, but if you are the type that likes to hang meat in with you, you might be disappointed.

Opening the balcony door will shut off normally not only the cabin's small A/C unit, but will close a damper for the central A/C. This is done to prevent wasting A/C by cooling the outdoors. It will also tend to make the room stuffy, as there will be no fresh air supplied, and no cross-ventilation since there is only the one door.

As the previous poster mentioned, opening the balcony door shuts off A/C.

We were on the Magic last month, in an inside cabin, and it wasn't very cool. We had the thermostat turned down as low as it would go. Wasn't uncomfortable enough to call Guest Services, but could have been a few degrees colder.

Hello,

Thanks...

I am the same way. I suggest bringing a small fan. I bring the small one I keep on my night stand and pull up a chair close to the bed and put it on that. Or you can bring an extension cord instead of stretching it out. FWIW Battery operated fans suck! I tried that one time and I could barely feel the wind :mad:

• 1 year later...
A/C happiness across the board is a very hard thing for us marine engineers to obtain. On most cruise ships, there are huge central A/C units that will supply several decks of cabins in each fire zone. This temperature is controlled by the engineers, and is set for an acceptable average. This will normally come into your cabin through one vent, or one half of the vent. There is then a small A/C unit for your cabin (frequently located under the sink) that is controlled by the thermostat in the cabin. This will be a separate vent, or the other half of a single vent. This unit can heat or cool your cabin to some extent, but if you are the type that likes to hang meat in with you, you might be disappointed.

I'm one of those who like meat locker climes in my sleeping environment. I've been on four (4) Carnival Cruises and have never spotted that secondary sink mounted A/C unit. All my cabins were inside cabins. Out of the four cruises my 4 day cruise on the Fascination had nice and cold cabin A/C. The other three cruises were stuffy to warm. However my outstanding steward on my first cruise and the maintenance guy told me on the DL/QT that by removing the vent cover I could get the temperature down. It worked. On my last cruise aboard the Victory I had my best cabin Lido Deck mid ship but the A/C was lacking. When I checked in I noticed a fan and that was an indication that I would be hanging no meat during this 5 night cruise. I called engineering and was told Carnival's acceptable temperature range is between 68 and 74 degrees F.I told them if my cabin could be in the lower end of that temperature range all would be fine. So, when I check into my Carnival cabin I do the following:

A. Swab down the TV remote and phone with sanitizing solution. (Do this in hotel rooms)

B. Check to make sure bathroom is clean

C. Check out my cabin A/C unit. If the room isn't to my cool liking, I remove the vent cover/grate (ceiling mounted) and make sure damper is open. This usually does the trick. If not, I'm on the phone or to guest services. I'm firm, persistent but courteous and appreciative. I treat others the way I wish to be treated.

And, I report on my cruise experiences to my Carnival trip planner Lauren who is great and report here on Cruise Critic and Epinions. Interestingly enough on the Victory right outside my cabin in the Lido deck common areas the a/c was meat locker cold. Go figure.

We were on the Magic last month, in an inside cabin, and it wasn't very cool. We had the thermostat turned down as low as it would go. Wasn't uncomfortable enough to call Guest Services, but could have been a few degrees colder.

This was my experience as well. Wasn't quite as cool as I would like, but wasn't unbearable either.

Hello,

Thanks...

We are platinum so have been on many Carnival cruises. When we first starred cruising our cabins were so cool the camera lens would fog up if we didn't put it on the balcony to warm up while we were docking. This was awesome as we like it cool. Then about 3 or 4 years ago we started noticing a huge temperature difference. We would have maintenance check and would be told it met standards (76° or less) THERE WAS NO WAY it was less than 80°. Our last cruise we took a small thermometer and it was 79° at night! This is way too warm. Sadly, due to the hot cabin temps we no longer cruise with Carnival. I keep an eye on this board hoping to see there has been some improvement, not looking like there has been, but I'll keep hoping !

For my platinum friends: I'm sorry for your sweaty experience on Carnival. Uncomfortable conditions are a great way to lose loyal customers. My previous four Carnival cruises were on their relatively older vessels. I'm about to take a 7 brighter on the Conquest which had a recent dry dock extreme cruise ship Makeover and the cabin HVAC issues have been rectified. Meaning along with the rest of the ship got upgraded or at least repaired. It seems I'm not the only hot and sticky cruiser. Rest assured if my cabin is warm I'll be like an anchor, leaning on ship maintenance and guest services to get this solved and for the duration of my cruise. This western carribean cruise will be my longest 7 nights. Between. All the fun and new friends. And ports ofcall I'll be reporting to you all.

Notice the light switch right by the door, and next to it is where you MUST put your room key -- so your cabin lights will work. Altho' we discovered that you can use a gift card, a business card, or something that will fit in there...

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv587%3A%3Dot%3E279%3B%3D3%3A3%3D%3B%3B%3A%3D36%3A%3A3%3A3%3A%3C9349nu0mrj

I'm posting this picture in case someone hasn't cruised lately. This was a feature I was unfamiliar with on my first cruise on the MAGIC.

We were on the Magic last week. The hallways were A LOT colder than our room. and it was the same for others in the group we met up with. You can always ask your room steward for a fan! one did and they were happy to help! their fan kicked ass and i wish we would have asked ours!

Im very cold natured, and for me to say it wasnt cold enough, then you know it was hot! there were times i did sit in the hallways just to cool off!!