You are not going to believe this!

BillC

Of course we all measure value for money in different ways, but for me in the final analysis of Azamara I have found it to be less about the head and more about the heart. It's much wider than what crummy drinks are included and what aren't. The warmth and personality of the ship and crew is what count for me and that is a much more difficult thing to quantify and achieve. So far I haven't been disappointed.

Oh and if I really want Dom Perignon (or for that matter any premium alcohol) I will buy it myself! LOL

Phil

Very well said Phil, this post is getting repetitive & off topic

Oh and if I really want Dom Perignon (or for that matter any premium alcohol) I will buy it myself! LOL

Phil

And I will also happy carry it on board thanks to the adult policy re alcohol

And well said Phil, I am finding this board is just home for incessant bleeters this week

Of course we all measure value for money in different ways, but for me in the final analysis of Azamara I have found it to be less about the head and more about the heart. It's much wider than what crummy drinks are included and what aren't. The warmth and personality of the ship and crew is what count for me and that is a much more difficult thing to quantify and achieve. So far I haven't been disappointed.

Phil

Well said Phil. I don't drink and Colin usually is content with the wine so the all inclusive debate apart from the price rise is not an issue for us. To continue cruising on Azamara we will just look for offers or choose a non veranda stateroom. The experience on board is why we sail Azamara, where else but on Azamara would you experience the warmth we recently did on our Antarctic cruise. Many of the staff remembered us even though we had sailed on Journey most recently. On the day of embarkation we were sitting in Mosaic having a coffee when the hotel director, (the incomparable Ryszard) whom we haven't seen for 2 years, came up to us and gave me a hug and said welcome back.

To get back on topic we too will miss the harpists.

Hilary

. ...On the day of embarkation we were sitting in Mosaic having a coffee when the hotel director, (the incomparable Ryszard) whom we haven't seen for 2 years, came up to us and gave me a hug and said welcome back.

To get back on topic we too will miss the harpists.

Hilary

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So typical of Ryszard! Hotel Directors don't come better than him!!

I totally agree that the harpists are a significant element in the Azamara experience seeing as they bring such an elegant touch of class which no other cruise line can match. It will affect our thoughts on which cruise to select in future if a harpist is not on board to entertain guests as they have done in the past. We have repeatedly requested that Azamara change NOTHING as the product they currently offer matches our expectations perfectly.

Oceania offer a lovely string quartet which must have greater overheads, and we may well sail more frequently with them should harpists be withdrawn from Azamara cruises. Surely withdrawing the harpist (one crew cabin - low overhead) is downgrading the Azamara experience.

We respectfully ask Azamara management for an explanation as to why they think that removing the harpist from their ships is going to improve the cruise experience.

:mad:Add our two voices to the the descent. The harpists just added to the class of the ship, removing them lowers the value of continuing with Azamara. It's a small change, but a noticeable one. Bad, foolish move on the part of the bean counters. Hope they get sea sick on their next cruise, they deserve it. :mad:

:mad:Add our two voices to the the descent. The harpists just added to the class of the ship, removing them lowers the value of continuing with Azamara. It's a small change, but a noticeable one. Bad, foolish move on the part of the bean counters. Hope they get sea sick on their next cruise, they deserve it. :mad:

Totall agree, a petty, penny pinching measure.

I'm a professional harpist and my husband and I will be on Journey in June on our first-ever cruise. I was absolutely delighted when I found out that Azamara featured harpists on both ships. In fact, it was a factor in our choosing Azamara. This had to be an exceptional cruise line that understood both the unique appeal of the harp and of LIVE classical music in providing an upscale ambience. There are no words to describe my disappointment in learning that the harpists have been fired. (And let's not candycoat this, folks. Two exceptional professional musicians are now among the unemployed.) What will we be listening to now? Canned "elevator" type music? If so, I will be wearing earplugs the entire time.

Some things, like the value of live music, can't be measured in dollars. Its value lies in the enjoyment it provides at the time and the happy memories people take away with them. I have played at hundreds of weddings during my career. Sometimes, years later, I run into people who attended one of those weddings and recognize me. Many say "I can't remember anything else about the wedding but I remember how beautiful the harp music was." It sounds as if Azamara is run by bean counters who have no understanding of this concept.

I will hope for the best, but I am already disappointed and I haven't even boarded the ship.

SleepyKitty

We, too, will sorely miss the harpist, so add our voices to the chorus of "oh, no." It was truly one of the things that set Azamara apart. We'll still enjoy our next cruise, but pre-dinner drinks will not be the same.

Maybe it's time for a change - it is 2013. Some cool Jazz would be very welcome and could possibly liven up this crowd. When I think harp musc, I think of funerals:)

Hi Deegee,

When I think of Harp Music, I never think of Funerals - I think of "Let's Make a Deal" when the curtain is opened - LOL. Oh well, I love Game Shows, and worked on a couple of them for a brief period, many years ago. Very interesting experience.

Based on the huge response on this thread, I'm not certain if many will agree it's time for a change, though I doubt the Harpists will return. We will miss them.

Perhaps a better title to this thread would have been no more harps rather than you aren't going to believe this. It got a lot more participation than I would have guessed.

After 165 posts on this thread, it appears that the community at large are disappointed with the loss of the harpists. Of course I am with them. Only two votes against harp music, and they suggested something else, which probably will not happen. String quartets and jazz trios require more people and more money.

My husband and I have sailed with Azamara for 3 cruises around Asia; we loved every minute of each cruise and have "sung" Azamara's praised to all our friends and family.

We have always thoroughly enjoyed the harpists, especially Mary Amanda. She is a delight.

This is just another factor which now sees us looking at Cunard out of our home port for our next cruise.

We were alarmed at the huge Azamara price hike, which made Azamara's prices 25% higher than Cunard. Then slightly bemused when we saw the recently advertised discounts.

We were also most disappointed about the inclusion of spirits in the costs as we are now both non-drinkers. Nor are we thrilled by the new concept of Azamazing Evenings.

It is so sad having thought of Azamara as our cruise home.

Glad that you posted on this thread, but we, like so many other,s have expressed the elimination of the harpists on Azamara is a BIG negative. I take the absence of any recent participation by Bill Lieber, or anyone in management, as a sign that their decision is final, and not to be revisited.

It's great that you will be moving to Celebrity. Cynthia and I will miss you, and your fellow harpists on Azamara.

Hi Bill (and Cynthia) and thanks for the well wishes. 8 days to go on the Journey and we're all very sad. We're really hoping Bert will reconsider due to the vast number of complaints. My gig on Celebrity will be as historian, not harpist. All of the Azamara harpists are scrambling but we're going to keep our fingers crossed. Thanks again and to all the cruise critic community for their support.

Mary Amanda

[quote name=mafair;37929203 8 days to go on the Journey and we're all very sad. We're really hoping Bert will reconsider due to the vast number of complaints. My gig on Celebrity will be as historian' date=' not harpist. All of the Azamara harpists are scrambling but we're going to keep our fingers crossed. Thanks again and to all the cruise critic community for their support.

Mary Amanda[/quote]

Another two people very sad to see you go. We enjoyed our third cruise with you in February, not just listening to you but also the talks you gave and our private conversations - you have so much port knowledge as well. Hope this decision is reconsidered and that we will see you on board Journey next March. Best wishes to you on Celebrity.

Vera

Bill,

What disturbs me and the AZ Board is the total abject silence on this decision to dismiss the harpists. Untold posts have been been made yet silence. Can we not get an explanation of why the change and what will be the replacement of the harpists? The silence on management's part is not doing AZ any favors. You can't duck the issue forever. If it's a cost issue, just say it.

The silence only fans the flames.

Mary Amanda - Thanks for your appreciated posting and we (Cynthia and I) wish you nothing but the best on your new adventures.

I posted a while back and asked for a response from Bill Lieber, or Miami (apparently that would be "Bert" who I don't have a clue who he is!) as to the reasoning behind this decision, As has been noted, no response has been made. I also volunteered to start a thread that could recommend ways to cut costs that would have minimal, or no, impact on the passenger experience. Again, no response.

I find it interesting that when Miami has good news they are very happy to post what seems to look like a press release, but on issues like this the strategy appears to be avoid it, at all costs.

+

Mary Amanda - Thanks for your appreciated posting and we (Cynthia and I) wish you nothing but the best on your new adventures.

I posted a while back and asked for a response from Bill Lieber, or Miami (apparently that would be "Bert" who I don't have a clue who he is!) as to the reasoning

+

Good post Bill, I believe Mary Amanda is referring to Bert Van Middendorp, Director of Hotel Operations at Azamara who will I suppose have an overall say on entertainment direction.

Judging by Bill's earlier post and the very limited response, I would surmise that it is a simple budgetary decision that involves cost cutting and reprioritising expenditure by RCCL.

I'm not sure it would require any further explanation or justification - most lines are cutting live entertainment expenses, HAL doesn't have a live band for their cast stage productions, Carnival has slashed the number of live performers on board.

We recently booked our first Azamara cruise. We have been loyal Celebrity cruisers for quite awhile. People that we have met on Celebrity have told us that we will love the Azamara experience. Several even mentioned the harpists, since they know that we love classical music. We're definitely disappointed to learn that the harpists won't be there for our cruise next year. One of our granddaughters plays the harp, so that would have been very special for us.

Archived