Personalized email on Marina Question

ronswife

I read "somewhere" in one of these threads that Oceana provides each guest with a personalized email to be used in case of an emergency - I think just to receive, not to send. Just received my documents and I can't find it anywhere? Anyone know anything about this, or am I going nuts!!

I read that too, here on CC and meant to followup to confirm as that was a feature I very much liked. Based on your two upcoming cruises, it does sound like it is no more.

No need to log onto internet daily. I could just be in vacation mode and relax with the confidence that for an emergency I could be easily be contacted.

Was even better before the ISP change when they had a board in the computer lab (where they gave lessons) one could simply check when passing by to see if there was a incoming email noted.

Now what? $5 - $10 /day (at .95 min) to just check to see *IF* there is a message. Never mind the taking the time to do this. I happily paid the $2 each way to send and receive and the newer, even better, free to receive and $4 to send. I would have even paid a small daily fee, used or not, if I could opt in for this service.

From when we selected O the first time this was one 'comfort' feature that I thought was very smart; inexpensive for O to provide and gave me a piece of mind. Granted it generates little revenue but I doubt if it cuts into the internet revenue from the many who want to spend time on the internet.

I know this is a small thing to many, if not most on this board but did make an impression and was a benefit to me. A simple solution w/o simple (effective, inexpensive, not time consuming) alternatives.

There were several postings in the past on how people used the free email to get business mail & some bragged on how they received hundreds of emails for free

When things are abused by a few it ruins it for others

JMO

You could always check onshore at a cafe or a spot that has WiFi for free or a small charge

We usually get the 200 min package..as I do not need it everyday

I read "somewhere" in one of these threads that Oceana provides each guest with a personalized email to be used in case of an emergency - I think just to receive, not to send. Just received my documents and I can't find it anywhere? Anyone know anything about this, or am I going nuts!!

This is discontinued as of March 15. Hope it comes back soon. It was an O plus big time.

Interesting as we have it on the March 18 sailing of the Regatta.

Is it free for incoming emails?

Interesting since it was suppose to finish on Mar 6th for Regatta

Maybe they did not get the memo;)

It is no more. We are on Nautica and were provided with the address but the service is nonexistent. I had given to kids and SIL re my elderly dad in nursing home. I liked the service and did use it on past cruises. The cost was reasonable. However it is history now so make other plans!

Mo

As I posted earlier I finally did call O and confirmed - it is indeed gone as potterhill has since reported.

The CSR has no info other than a brief notice telling them it is no more.

It was a service I enjoyed and appreciated having for emergency contact. It gave me peace of mind.

I asked her to pass along that I am disappointed. She said she would definitely let them know.

I did appreciate her courtesy - she did not say I am the only one but that I am the first to inquire. So I am not alone but first!

oh well. Now for a suitable plan B ...

Suggestion for Suitable Plan B

Oceania publish where passengers can obtain free wifi when at the various ports. We usually found out from our independent tour guides where we could get free wifi or the locals told us.:)

Ask the staff like bartenders, etc. Most of them know the ports and use the free wifi when they get off the ship to skype home. :) This proved quite consistent throughout S. America on the Azamara Quest. I just chatted up any bartender the day before and they always had a place (and many ports had wifi outside - like a tourist regional thing).

As for emergencies, we give friends/family the ship's number and advise them of the enormous charge for calling such, but when an emergency happens, $50 for a phone call is an afterthought.

Archived