Questions from an NCL newbie

Go-Bucks!

I'll apologize in advance for having so many questions, but I can't find many of the answers I want. CC members always know the best info, so I'm turning to the NCL board. We just booked an Eastern Med cruise and would like to know more about the ship and what to expect. Thanks so much!! :D

1) We booked an aft Penthouse suite (SF) on the Jade for 14 days. We really wanted a deck 10 suite, but they're gone for the first 7 days because they're also selling this as 2, 7 day cruises. We had to get a deck 8 cabin. What are the dimensions of the balcony? How much smaller than deck 10 balcony? Anyone have pics of this balcony? Can loungers fit on the deck 8 balcony? Do we get 2 loungers and 2 chairs?

2) We don't want to spend much $$ at specialty restaurants. Is the MDR food good? How about the food for dinner at the buffet? If we order specialty restaurant food to be sent to our cabin, do we still have to pay the upcharge fee?

3) Is the bathtub full sized?

4) Is the balcony covered or uncovered on deck 8?

5) Is there an adult-only pool? If so, where? Are any of the pools covered?

6) Is there good Internet reception in aft areas?

7) Is leftover OBC from NCL refundable?

8) Can you see your ship account on the cabin TV?

9) Are there self-serve laundomats?

10) Is there an outdoor movie?

11) With priority tendering, is it priority going in both directions? (to the port and back to the ship)

12) If you use a CPAP machine, will the steward provide distilled water?

13) Anyone have pics of the Thermal Suites?

14) When will our suite be ready for us on embarkation day?

All done! Thanks again!!

I'll apologize in advance for having so many questions, but I can't find many of the answers I want. CC members always know the best info, so I'm turning to the NCL board. We just booked an Eastern Med cruise and would like to know more about the ship and what to expect. Thanks so much!! :D

1) We booked an aft Penthouse suite (SF) on the Jade for 14 days. We really wanted a deck 10 suite, but they're gone for the first 7 days because they're also selling this as 2, 7 day cruises. We had to get a deck 8 cabin. What are the dimensions of the balcony? How much smaller than deck 10 balcony? Anyone have pics of this balcony? Can loungers fit on the deck 8 balcony? Do we get 2 loungers and 2 chairs?

Not sure but I believe the balcony's are the same size, no room for 2 loungers and 2 chairs.

2) We don't want to spend much $$ at specialty restaurants. Is the MDR food good? How about the food for dinner at the buffet? If we order specialty restaurant food to be sent to our cabin, do we still have to pay the upcharge fee?

Food is so subjective, but I would say the food is better in the MDR than buffet, not sure about the surcharge

3) Is the bathtub full sized?

Yes

4) Is the balcony covered or uncovered on deck 8?

Covered I believe

5) Is there an adult-only pool? If so, where? Are any of the pools covered?

Yes, on the Pool Deck..... not covered

6) Is there good Internet reception in aft areas?

No such thing as "good internet" while at sea.

7) Is leftover OBC from NCL refundable?

Only OBC that you have purchased, not if it was part of a promotion deal.

8) Can you see your ship account on the cabin TV?

No

9) Are there self-serve laundomats?

No

10) Is there an outdoor movie?

No

11) With priority tendering, is it priority going in both directions? (to the port and back to the ship)

Just to the port

12) If you use a CPAP machine, will the steward provide distilled water?

Yes

13) Anyone have pics of the Thermal Suites?

I don't sorry

14) When will our suite be ready for us on embarkation day?

Yes, depending on when you first board, but should be ready anywhere from 12-2 , if not sooner

All done! Thanks again!!

Hope these helped, heck I hope I was right with most of them lol.

cheers...the Ump...:D

A couple of points of disagreement with the previous post:

Deck 10 SF cabins have bigger balconies than Deck 8 SF cabins, and are definitely big enough for two lounge chairs.

I wouldn't consider the bathtub full sized. It's narrower than the typical home bathtub.

I'm less certain about this one, but I thought I had read somewhere that NCL will not provide distilled water for CPAP machines...but I could easily be wrong because it's not a topic I would normally pay much attention to.

If you order dinner from a specialty restaurant to be delivered to your suite, you pay the normal upcharge for that restaurant.

The Jade is similar to the Jewel, Gem, and Pearl. Here is a look down the aft of the Pearl from a SF balcony on deck 10 along with some other pic of the room. From the descriptions of the cabins there is a 46 sq ft difference between the largest and smallest suite in the catagory - since these measurements include the balcony that is the difference between the smallest one on deck 8 to the largest one on deck 10 - the balconies on the outside suites are about 10 sqft smaller than the ones next to them (this is because the ship curves in). On deck 10 we had two loungers, two chairs and a table.

From the suite you are able to order food from any resturant on the ship - you will have to pay any surcharge. You can also order room service breakfast and lunch off the Cagney's menu at no cost.

I thought the tub was smaller than an normal one.

Enjoy the suite life

009.jpg.51445a9a22a9afc6f70c8768b9bff38c.jpg

IMG_2305.jpg.016cb5c5d1dfb69732af4488c185ddc8.jpg

IMG_2306.jpg.508efa40dbd66d1259a886aba2aede27.jpg

2012-06-30_11-42-16_293.jpg.416074dd13483cbf60da0c1eb467b6fb.jpg

2012-06-30_11-42-48_451.jpg.0054f6c51149c2caf6d71dd020bf9b9d.jpg

Not sure but I believe the balcony's are the same size, no room for 2 loungers and 2 chairs.

This really surprises me. I've seen pics of the deck 10 balcony and it has 2 loungers, 2 chairs and a small table. Are the deck 8 balconies really that much smaller??!! We had to take cabin 8632 which is closest to the middle so hopefully the balcony is a bit bigger. We're used to getting a 7' x 18' balcony on Princess in a minisuite, so we were hoping that a full suite would be at least this big - they are on Princess.

This really surprises me. I've seen pics of the deck 10 balcony and it has 2 loungers, 2 chairs and a small table. Are the deck 8 balconies really that much smaller??!! We had to take cabin 8632 which is closest to the middle so hopefully the balcony is a bit bigger. We're used to getting a 7' x 18' balcony on Princess in a minisuite, so we were hoping that a full suite would be at least this big - they are on Princess.

As I said in the next post:

A couple of points of disagreement with the previous post:

Deck 10 SF cabins have bigger balconies than Deck 8 SF cabins, and are definitely big enough for two lounge chairs.

I wouldn't consider the bathtub full sized. It's narrower than the typical home bathtub.

I'm less certain about this one, but I thought I had read somewhere that NCL will not provide distilled water for CPAP machines...but I could easily be wrong because it's not a topic I would normally pay much attention to.

If you order dinner from a specialty restaurant to be delivered to your suite, you pay the normal upcharge for that restaurant.

For distilled water you must contact the Access Desk two weeks prior to your sailing and they will make arrangements with the ship for your distilled water. You need to bring a long extension cord for your machine. The outlet is not close to the bed. That has been the case for the Dawn, the Gem and the Star. So don't chance it and bring along a cord. The water on the ship is purified and my DH has used it on most of our cruises with no ill effect to his machine. My concern with an 8th floor aft is noise. I am not familar with the Jade but on the Star and the Dawn the Spinnaker Lounger is under that area and gets a little noisy at night. You may want to check on that.

For distilled water you must contact the Access Desk two weeks prior to your sailing and they will make arrangements with the ship for your distilled water. You need to bring a long extension cord for your machine. The outlet is not close to the bed. That has been the case for the Dawn, the Gem and the Star. So don't chance it and bring along a cord. The water on the ship is purified and my DH has used it on most of our cruises with no ill effect to his machine. My concern with an 8th floor aft is noise. I am not familar with the Jade but on the Star and the Dawn the Spinnaker Lounger is under that area and gets a little noisy at night. You may want to check on that.

There's no problem with noise there on the Jade (and the Jewel). The Galleria Boutiques...the large on board shop...is located on deck 7 aft, not a nightclub.

Archived