Caribbean Princess vs RCL Navigator

unhurdof

I hope I'm not going to start any wars here.

We sailed RCL last year and loved it very much. We want to try a new one just for fun.

What are the primary differences between the two?

We're 40something, no kids coming along (actually have an aversion to them) :D

Please discuss :)

Well....I'll try!!! We've sailed both and...loved them both!! As far as the number of children goes, I probably can't help you much because we sailed on the Caribbean Princess during the school year so.....that would explain the fewer children on the CB than on the RCL ships. It probably depends on what you like to do during the day. RCL has the rock wall, ice skating, arcade, basketball, etc. The CB has the Big Screen TV and the paddle tennis was pretty neat. We love Johnny Rockets so that was a big plus for us on RCL. I think the CB was MUCH more of a "relaxing" cruise for us, since I don't think there were as many "activities" for us to do, as on the RCL "biggies". So....I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

Thank you very much! :)

We sailed the Navigator 5/1 and there were very few kids at that time too (mostly a few toddlers here and there and a few teens probably from other countries with different school schedules). I'm shooting for an October sailing, so hopefully it will be the same type of situation.

And it's funny you mention all the activities. I got a massage twice and walked in the early a.m. for exercise about 4 times. We ended up at the pool most of the time and weren't too active in other stuff. Our best intentions were met with a cocktail in hand and reggae band. ;)

Would you consider them to be the same in class? Or would you consider one a cut above the other in overall class/elegance? I really know very little about Princess except it was used in the Love Boat series :D

Relaxing is what we're definitely going after - thank you for replying :)

We've sailed both. IF relaxing is what you are looking for, Princess is a good fit. As the earlier poster said, the Princess ships do not have all of the activities of the RCCL ships. That being said, IMHO, the food is a little better on Princess, entertainment is about equal, and service is about equal.

We just got off the Voyager of the Seas and are planning our 06 cruise. We are looking at the Caribbean Princess for the week of July 4th.

You'll have fun on either line, but my advice is to give Princess a try.

I agree!! The food is better on Princess. I do enjoy the "headliner" entertainment on RCL but....the "crew" entertainment is about equal. As far as the ships go....I think they're about equal, both in size and "quality". Although...we did find that the layout of the CB was a bit "odd". Sometimes, we found it hard to get from one place to the other without having to go up or down one deck. But....once we had that figured out....we planned accordingly ahead of time and....it wasn't a problem any longer!!

There are some things that Princess offers but Royal Caribbean doesn't, such as Anytime Dining, freshwater pools, 24 hr buffet, and pools and hot tubs open for longer hours (often around the clock.) If any of these are important to you, that makes the decision easier. We have sailed both but prefer Princess. Also, the decor on Princess tends to be more subdued ( I would call it classier, myself, but I know some don't agree with that) and you don't get the WOW factor that a lot of people mention on RCCI from the large atrium, the rock climbing wall, etc. Princess has lots of soft blues and greens with brass and wood accompaniments -- I always think their ships are just lovely.

No midnight buffet? LOL!

Actually, a 24/7 buffet sounds fair enough. I was laughing at another poster/reviewer who complained that Princess Line didn't have a midnight buffet. I kept thinking "how much food do you possibly need to eat? Good grief!!"

I mean, I've been known to binge a bit here and there and eat a ton of ice cream, but to complain that there's not enough food for you on a cruise? And now that I hear it's got a 24/7 buffet, that makes his complaining all the more stupid!

I've done both ships and they are both great. The promenade thing in the middle of the ship on RCL is great and the balcony cabins and bigger on RCL Explorer class but Princess is also great in its own ways. If I had to choose one over the other, I'd look at ports of call and price. If they have the same schedules and one is less than the other, I'd pick the less expensive one. One is not "better" than the other...they are both awesome!

CHRIS & DIANE!!!! :D :D :D FOUND YA!!!! LOL I'm giving Princess a try in November 2005 (Sapphire Princess) doing the Mexican Riviera.

You two be ready to join us on RCI Freedom of the Seas on November 5, 2006!!

Here's the link to our roll call thread for that sailing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=3965034#post3965034

And here's some info on the Freedom that'll convince you two to join us. LOL

http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com/s-rfreedom.html

Actually, we overheard a number of passengers grumbling about no midnight buffet, but I also overheard some, later in the cruise, remarking how they liked this system better. That brings up another feature of Princess which sets them apart, and that is much more flexibility of mealtimes. You really can eat anytime you want on these ships. On other lines, I have occasionally gotten back late from port and found myself too late for lunch, too early for dinner, etc. It's a nice idea to get rid of that concern----

Chris & Diane, it's been a long time. I see my friend Tyron has found you also. Steve has asked me if anyone had heard from you. He wanted to know what happened with the Marine enlistment.

I've never sailed Princess so I can't help with the comparison. I hope you both will consider Tye's invitation to join us on the Freedom in 2006.

My best to you both.

DH & I tried RCCL once because they did the cruise we wanted - Princess didn't - once was enough - back to Princess we go - but RCCL has its followers - so let them stay there

huh??? :confused: :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm such a dork, I forgot I posted here! LOL

Hi Tyron, Hi Pat! Good to see you guys! :D :D How the heck did you find us here? ROFL I'll let Chris tell you about the marine situation.

We opted for RCCL's Adventure of the Seas in October. We may think about the Freedom in 2006, that ought to be an interesting ship. Talk about a floating building!

I was on the navigator in November and the Carib Princess last month so I can give you a recent opinion. The bottom line is that some things are better on RCCL and others on Princess. If I were booking again, I would choose the better price on a balcony cabin or on ports of call. Here are my brief opinions:

Food: RCCL was much better. The food on Princess is not that great. The seafood buffets on princess were crazy but dinners on princess were mediocre.

Ship: Each one is unique. I think that overall rccl is a little nicer, but the pools on Princess are nicer. MUTS is awesome day and night. On Rccl, jonny rockets and the mall thing in the middle are super. I think the the ride is smoother on Explorer class ships compared to Grand Class ships too but that maybe just my opinion.

Service: Because tips are automatically added, I felt that the crew on the Princess did not try hard at all. RCCL seems to be a happier crew and more friendly.Maybe the fact that the carib princess does the same two routes year round leads to bored crews or something. THe personal choice dining option is great but the poor service almost makes it not worth it.

SPA: better on princess

BALCONY CABINS: Balconies on Princess larger but regular balcony staterooms on Navigator larger. A few inches makes a big difference

It is like comparing mcdonalds to burger king, delta airlines to american, or abc to nbc. Each one does somethings better than the other but really they are both the same. You will have fun on either one.

Archived