Paying For Things Onboard

Skywriter

Hi again, I was wondering if anyone could help to explain how it works if we buy anything onboard. I believe we get an account and we pay this at the end, but there will be myself, my hubby and my 14 year old son, will we all get a separate account or is it just one account by cabin number, also can we settle the account with a credit card or debit card or should we take cash.

As a side note I was wondering if anyone has used a prepaid travel money card without any problems while on holiday, we usually always just take cash but were thinking this card might be a safer alternative to carrying so much cash. Thanks.

Sky Writer, when you sign onto the ship you are asked how you want to pay your bill, we always pay by Debit card and both our on-board spend is paid at the end of the cruise through this one card.

I think you have with cash an on-board limit of £200 when that's reached say midweek then when that's paid you can start again ( I could be wrong) oh err .

Also I think with other cards they charge a fee.

RR

Hello Skywriter....Each time you buy something in the shops or at the bar you hand over your boarding card and they take the details off it.also if you eat in a speciality restaurant or buy an excursion this will all automatically be charged to your cabin...all the cards will be assigned to the cabin and will all go on one account (although it is separated on the statement into whose card was used) then the total amount will be automatically taken from whichever card you assigned at the beginning of the cruise.......we think it is best to use a credit card as cruiselines sometimes put a holding charge onto the account and it has caused problems for some when they used a debit card, got home and the cruiseline had not removed the holding charge and they couldn't use their card. (I think it was Royal Caribbean in the example I'm thinking of) ...you can also pay in cash but have to leave a deposit at the beginning of the cruise and top up as necessary.

I personally wouldn't bother with a prepaid card....we usually take cash with us and just take ashore each day what we think we'll need (we split it between us) and just one debit card so if we need more we can get it from an ATM....I did have my purse stolen in Majorca last year and luckily I only had one card in it (and 20 euros or so) so only had one bank to phone. Normally I zip the money loose with the card in the zippy pocket inside my handbag which I think is the safest.....I had got complacent thinking Majorca was safe and took my whole purse with me and of course it was stolen so it was my fault really. John has a 'man bag' and does the same. :)

OOps there have been 3 replies while I was typing this so some points duplicated !

Thank you all, I'm glad to have found a place with such helpful people.

I think we'll go with the Debit Card for paying the account, I always try to avoid the credit card if fees are involved, Thanks again.

Jenny Wren, sorry to hear your purse was stolen, it seems nowhere is safe nowadays.

Me and my Adypoos used a pre-paid card when we went to the USA in 2011. We found it ok but couldn't make the technology work that lets you check your balance so we had to write everything down which became a chore. I also worried about it not working, we were touring around and went across the border into Canada where it didn't work cos the system thought we were supposed to be in USA:rolleyes: Other than that it was very good,,but I like cash on my hip,,down my undergarments,,in my shoes,,everywhere!

Hi again, I was wondering if anyone could help to explain how it works if we buy anything onboard. I believe we get an account and we pay this at the end, but there will be myself, my hubby and my 14 year old son, will we all get a separate account or is it just one account by cabin number, also can we settle the account with a credit card or debit card or should we take cash.

As a side note I was wondering if anyone has used a prepaid travel money card without any problems while on holiday, we usually always just take cash but were thinking this card might be a safer alternative to carrying so much cash. Thanks.

They will take cash.

Me and my Adypoos used a pre-paid card when we went to the USA in 2011. We found it ok but couldn't make the technology work that lets you check your balance so we had to write everything down which became a chore. I also worried about it not working, we were touring around and went across the border into Canada where it didn't work cos the system thought we were supposed to be in USA:rolleyes: Other than that it was very good,,but I like cash on my hip,,down my undergarments,,in my shoes,,everywhere!

Thanks Cappers, I think you helped make my mind up to just stick with cash as opposed to the prepaid card.

Archived