Chefs table

billb5

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers in any way by that comment. My answer was based on previous queries that were looking for a price reduction for the same situation.

Enjoy the Chefs Table. It is a special evening.[/quote

You didn't ruffle any feathers and I totally understand that there are a lot of people that would want a discount. I know a few of those people! :rolleyes:

Just off the Star. On board by 12:30 and Chef's Table already fully booked. Asked to be put on a waiting list but never heard anything more so my advice would be board very early or if you are in a suite have your concierge arrange it for you. Someone said you could book in advance so you should check that out as I thought you ahd to wait and book once you were on board. We were looking forward to it and are very sorry it was not available to us.

Good luck.:(

We'll be in a Haven suite so maybe I'll luck out and the concierge can book it for us. But that's still a long long time away. Too long!

Since your are in a suite, use the pre-cruise concierge to let the ship concierge know of your intention to sign up for the Chefs Table before you even board the ship.

It is no guarantee that you will be successful as the pre-cruise concierge can only pass your request along, but at least the ship concierge who determines who goes will be alerted.

We just got off the Jewel today and did the Chef's dinner.

It was $89 pp. When we got on board to have lunch at Cagney's (we were in a suite) we were immediately asked if we'd like to participate, and said yes, so we didn't do anything ahead of time or involve the concierge.

There were 13 people at ours.

I would say it's worth doing once. I heard from two other couples that the meal is the same every time, and this was their second time. I'm not sure why you'd do the identical meal twice.

My DH only ate about half the stuff and just left the other half. He's fussy. He's also not a big drinker, but enjoyed some of the wine selections. I'd say it's worth doing, and the people who don't like stuff can just ignore it. I really think there's enough to get anyone full, even if you only ate half of what came out.

We didn't go to the galley tour - DH not interested - but you get to go to that on a sea day following the dinner.

You also get a free pic and the menu (or we did on the Jewel).

I'm sure you'll love it.

We just got off the Jewel today and did the Chef's dinner.

It was $89 pp. When we got on board to have lunch at Cagney's (we were in a suite) we were immediately asked if we'd like to participate, and said yes, so we didn't do anything ahead of time or involve the concierge.

There were 13 people at ours.

I would say it's worth doing once. I heard from two other couples that the meal is the same every time, and this was their second time. I'm not sure why you'd do the identical meal twice.

My DH only ate about half the stuff and just left the other half. He's fussy. He's also not a big drinker, but enjoyed some of the wine selections. I'd say it's worth doing, and the people who don't like stuff can just ignore it. I really think there's enough to get anyone full, even if you only ate half of what came out.

We didn't go to the galley tour - DH not interested - but you get to go to that on a sea day following the dinner.

You also get a free pic and the menu (or we did on the Jewel).

I'm sure you'll love it.

Thanks for all of the info regarding it!

Hi,

We plan to sign up for the Chef's Table as soon as possible on our upcoming trip in May. My husband doesn't drink, never did but it's not a problem for him. When we did this on Princess they kept the diet coke coming all evening. We were surprised though when we received the charges on our bill to see a price adjustment of 20.00 less for him. We never asked and hadn't been told this was the case. Doen't matter we need to spend some OBC and our shore excursions are already paid for :(. Chef's Table on NCL sounds pleasant and the menu I've seen on CC sounds interesting. Fingers crossed we can get a slot.

Have a great day

What do you mean that "You can make a reservation for it"?

I am unable to do this on-line for my upcoming cruise on the Jewel.

You can't make pre-cruise reservations but as soon as you board you can head to the restaurant reservations desk and make reservations there. For those who are in suites, you can book through the on-board concierge or the assistant who is in Cagney's (or other suite restaurant, depending on ship) during your embarkation lunch. As someone else noted, the pre-cruise concierge cannot actually book the reservation, they can only note your interest so that the on-board team has a heads up.

For us, even if the menu is exactly the same as it was last year, we would do it again. Most of the delicacies on the menu are not something we indulge in anywhere else so it's a very nice splurge! :)

I'm looking forward to the Chef's Table on my upcoming Epic cruise, but now I'm hesitating.

I love a good meal, and I frequent "gourmet" restaurants on land. It's sort of a hobby. My concerns are:

1. The time. I enjoy lingering over a meal, but 4.5 hours? Has that been everyone's experience? (Citing computerworks' earlier post).

2. My husband has recently stopped drinking and I'm wondering if the free-flowing wine might be an issue. This one isn't a question, as I know that no one knows that except him. I'm just thinking out loud (or, in writing...)

I was shocked when I heard it could be 4 hours. I'm not sure what time we started but it was after 10 when we finished. Coffee was served in the Atrium, presumably because they didn't want people lingering in LeBistro.

Though it was long, it moved along. There were much longer lulls in the MDR dining service.

Just off the Star. On board by 12:30 and Chef's Table already fully booked. Asked to be put on a waiting list but never heard anything more so my advice would be board very early or if you are in a suite have your concierge arrange it for you. Someone said you could book in advance so you should check that out as I thought you ahd to wait and book once you were on board. We were looking forward to it and are very sorry it was not available to us.

Good luck.:(

Now that so many people know about it, I'm afraid it will be booked when we board. I don't think it can be reserved online at all.

I'm hoping we can get 2 seats so that we can use it as part of our "25 years together" celebration.

A couple of thoughts for those with family members in recovery.

Reviewing the menu there were 3 items which listed alcohol -

Amuse bouche (vodka infused gel)

Granite (Moscato flavored ice) as the palate cleanser

Port Wine infused Figs on the cheese plate

(please excuse my descriptions - the dishes were more complex and wonderful than I am describing!)

None of these courses were cooked so I believe there was still alcohol in the dish.

We thought about bring a family member who is early on in recovery and was glad afterwards he didn't attend. While his progress is great and we are very proud of him he doesn't like situations where he feels trapped by people drinking. He's fine in a bar cause he can just leave but a holiday party at a home he doesn't like. Sitting around a table for 4 hours may have been a bit too much. No one at our dinner drank excessively but it was certainly more than if we were paying $8 for a glass. BTW, he loved the cruise!

When they served champagne someone declined and the Chef asked if they drank alcohol so, please let them know if you have any concerns.

We did the Chef's table on our Thanksgiving cruise on the Star. When we first boarded, I asked about being able to attend but was told it was already sold out.

I guess we got lucky because later in the week we were informed they were having another one and we were invited.

It is definitely a dinner I will never forget.

We were fortunate to have the captain dining with us and he kept us entertained with his stories of his life on the seas. The others around the table were also very friendly and although the dinner does last a while.... it really doesn't feel like it.

Actually, I was shocked when we were finished and I looked at the time and couldn't believe it had been that long.

My wife and I don't drink and there was a price reduction, since we did not partake of any of the wine. I will say the wait staff did a fantastic job of keeping my ice tea glass filled.

It was like dining in a five star restaurant. There seemed to be a server for every person at the table.

Since I have now done this, I believe I will not try to do it again because I don't want to deprive someone else of the chance to enjoy such a fantastic meal.

What do you mean that "You can make a reservation for it"?

I am unable to do this on-line for my upcoming cruise on the Jewel.

Sorry, i was referring to making a reservation once onboard. Yes, it is not in the advance online list.

You reserve thru the Specialty Restaurant desk. In the "old" days, when they first started the Chef's Table, yuo had to deal with Guest services to get on the list. That was the contrast that I was implying.

We did the Chef's table on our Thanksgiving cruise on the Star. When we first boarded, I asked about being able to attend but was told it was already sold out.

I guess we got lucky because later in the week we were informed they were having another one and we were invited.

It is definitely a dinner I will never forget.

We were fortunate to have the captain dining with us and he kept us entertained with his stories of his life on the seas. The others around the table were also very friendly and although the dinner does last a while.... it really doesn't feel like it.

Actually, I was shocked when we were finished and I looked at the time and couldn't believe it had been that long.

My wife and I don't drink and there was a price reduction, since we did not partake of any of the wine. I will say the wait staff did a fantastic job of keeping my ice tea glass filled.

It was like dining in a five star restaurant. There seemed to be a server for every person at the table.

Since I have now done this, I believe I will not try to do it again because I don't want to deprive someone else of the chance to enjoy such a fantastic meal.

That is wonderful to hear and makes me really want to try and sign my husband and I up for it.

A couple of thoughts for those with family members in recovery.

Reviewing the menu there were 3 items which listed alcohol -

Amuse bouche (vodka infused gel)

Granite (Moscato flavored ice) as the palate cleanser

Port Wine infused Figs on the cheese plate

(please excuse my descriptions - the dishes were more complex and wonderful than I am describing!)

None of these courses were cooked so I believe there was still alcohol in the dish.

We thought about bring a family member who is early on in recovery and was glad afterwards he didn't attend. While his progress is great and we are very proud of him he doesn't like situations where he feels trapped by people drinking. He's fine in a bar cause he can just leave but a holiday party at a home he doesn't like. Sitting around a table for 4 hours may have been a bit too much. No one at our dinner drank excessively but it was certainly more than if we were paying $8 for a glass. BTW, he loved the cruise!

When they served champagne someone declined and the Chef asked if they drank alcohol so, please let them know if you have any concerns.

Thanks for this. Good information.

Our menu from the Chef's Table on the 2/10/13 Star sailing. We were told all ships are the same. The Chef was in charge of all kitchens and at the end brought 3 other chefs out that had cooked the meal.

img002-L.jpg

P1710689-L.jpg

Chef Table pics are on pages 8 & 9 of the gallery below.

• 2 weeks later...

I went on the Jewel at Christmas. We signed up in Cagney's during lunch on embarkation day but they also opened a 2nd chef's table night because so many people were interested.

We met in the Maltings bar before dinner and I think they served a welcome champagne. Two of the guests at the table did not drink and they were accomodated with no problem. After dinner and dessert, we were brought back to Maltings for coffee, espresso, cappuccino. The servers went out to the coffee bar for whatever you wanted. I didn't want more coffee and they instead brought me an apple martini.

The servers were phenomenal. We even had one of them sing for us - loved him so much we went to cheer him on at the crew talent show later in the week. We tipped them in cash afterwards.

I am a picky eater - there are a lot of things that I "don't like" - but I ate everything at the Chef's Table. I will always try something to be polite and then follow with wine but I enjoyed everything - wanted seconds of things I didn't even want to try! Keep an open mind and an open palate! :p

Mention was made earlier of sometimes another session being added. We'll be on a 14nt transatlantic with tons (10 anyway) of sea days. Would they be more likely to schedule multiple nights for this in those circumstances?

Archived