Cruises to Aruba...

cruzinchris

I don't think Princess has a ship in the deep Caribbean at this time, but some seasonal itineraries include Aruba, and DH and I visited the Dutch island while cruising.

Would the current situation with the missing teen cause you to reconsider visiting Aruba, or do you think this is an unfortunate isolated incident?

We were in Aruba once a few years ago on a cruise, and we are scheduled to be there again on the Golden in December. I really believe this was an isolated incident - at least I HOPE so! I loved Aruba when we wre there, and I plan to explore the island again in December. Our ship will be leaving port long before nightfall, so I doubt that there will be a lot of people spending much time at the late night establishments there. Carlos and Charlie's is VERY close to where the ship docks, though, so it will be interesting to see how many people stop in the that now-infamous bar.

I wouldn't let it stop me from visiting. I think you have to careful and

aware no matter where you are visiting these days. This tragic event

could have happened anywhere. It just points out the need to be

cautious, and not take unneccessary risks. My heart goes out to

her family and friends.

I wouldn't hesitate to visit Aruba again, either on a cruise ship or a land trip.

My heart and prayers go out to Natalee and her family.

Unfortunately, things happen everywhere. The level of publicity and information and accessibility to the information is indicative of Aruba's safety consciousness and concern for their tourists. The brother of a good friend was "kidnapped" for several hours in Mexico 6 years ago and no one heard about it, not even his family, until after he returned to the States.

What happened in Aruba, can, and does happen anywhere. My small city in British Columbia is very very dangerous, when campared to Aruba. Ask yourself 'When did a cruiser last get into trouble on land?' When visitors stay together, that group is always safe. Don't worry! john

I just saw an interview on the news a day or so ago, MSNBC, from another mother, whose daughter went to the same bar and turned up missing from her bedroom the next night. Apparently, crew members were looking for her in Aruba to take her to Carlos and Charlies. Then oddly, she dissappeared before the next port.

Here's the link to MSNBC

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8143921/

It does give one pause to think there may be a connection. However, I just went to Aruba 4 months ago and it was beautiful. Would I let my teenage daughter go to Carols and Charlies, NO.

Would the current situation with the missing teen cause you to reconsider visiting Aruba, or do you think this is an unfortunate isolated incident?

People should be more afraid of going to the places these ships depart from like crime ridden Los Angeles, or pedophile saturated Florida, New York City, San Juan, Texas, New Orleans. Aruba is a paradise in comparison, literally, when it comes to crime rate.

We were in Aruba just about 6 weeks ago arriving by an RCI ship. We were even at Carlos and Charlies (which was veiwable from our balcony). This was the best island in the Caribbean we have ever visited and can't wait to return someday, hopefully soon.

Things like this can happen anywhere, to anyone. Carlos and Charlies is not a place for the immature or those not being careful, no matter what the age. It is a wild place around 11-12 each night. But, there are many of these throughout the Caribbean.

Just keep in mind that it wasn't the island that has done this terrible thing, but probably in the end we will find out that one (ONE) person was responsible. You can't blame an entire island of wonderful people for the actions of one person.

Still hoping that this poor young adult is found alive, but it isn't looking good for her. I feel terrible for her parents and her other family and friends and also for the island of Aruba.

This was the best island in the Caribbean we have ever visited and can't wait to return someday, hopefully soon.

DH and I were also impressed with Aruba and thought we might like to spend a week in one of the fabulous resorts we saw. I surely hope there won't be any more trouble in this island paradise.

Chris

Chris, we felt the exact same way. It was the first island we have ever visited where we actually wanted (and still want to) go back to spend an entire week in one place. So beautiful with some of the best beaches we have ever seen.

What is the "enforced" drinking age in Aruba and other Carribean ports? Concerned about teen children wanting to be on their own while in port.

I believe the drinking age is 18... however, I'm not too sure how much this is enforced!

How old are your teens?

I think that one of the main problems with the girl in Aruba is that she "left" without her friends... If your teens are going out on their own, I would stress the extreme importance of STICKING TOGETHER!

I have never been to Aruba but Curacao is one of my favorites, so I'd love to go.

I feel very sorry for Natalee's parents and I don't think this is going to have a good ending. No matter how "safe" a place is, particularly in a foreign country (and yes, Aruba is a foreign country), no girl, or even woman, should wander around in the middle of the night alone and accept rides from strangers, even if they are from the hotel or ship. It doesn't matter if it's Aruba, NYC or Cancun.

Unless you do something really dumb, you'll be safe in Aruba. That's not the case in many other Caribbean ports.

I believe the drinking age is 18... however, I'm not too sure how much this is enforced!

How old are your teens?

I think that one of the main problems with the girl in Aruba is that she "left" without her friends... If your teens are going out on their own, I would stress the extreme importance of STICKING TOGETHER!

I have an 18 year old daughter who enjoys her independents. Perhaps the Aruba story will help to enforce the "stick together" rule. Very sad story.

We've been to Aruba twice and plan to visit again. The Sea Princess stops in Aruba on one of its 14 day cruises.

We found Aruba to be a beautiful and safe place. This has to be an isolated incident. It could happen anywhere and that is sad. Our hearts go out to all who are missing their loved one.

I too thought Aruba was the best island on my S. Carib. itinerary a few years ago. I feel so bad that they are getting this bad rap - hopefully the situation will improve soon. I just hope they find the poor girl, for her family's sake.

Those islands live for the tourism, so I hate to see their industry ruined by one incident. Our tour guide in St. Lucia had told us that if a person was caught committing a crime against a tourist (he used stealing a purse as an example), they would get the book thrown at them, since everyone knows the livelyhood of the island residents depends on the tourist $.

I have an 18 year old daughter who enjoys her independents. Perhaps the Aruba story will help to enforce the "stick together" rule. Very sad story.

As long as at least one of the group keeps their wits about them (stays sober) that might be okay. That was certainly not the case with the group of teen girls off Norwegian Dawn we saw who were rip-roaring drunk in Cozumel at 2 PM. Yes, they'd been to C&C's. It's just too easy to fall prey to predators when in that state. It can happen anywhere.

I will continue to visit Aruba on land based and cruise trips. I think that this was an isolated incident. I feel for Natalee's family and friends. I is a hard fact that there are those that prey on people that let their guard down while vacationing. I have seen numorus cases where too much fun has been had at C&C in many ports.

Archived