Long Review of B2B on Sun Princess 5/9 Alaska cruise (with pictures)

Coral

Coral, thanks for the detailed review. We're going to try Anytime Dining on our upcoming cruise. I fear worse service for one thing, but, more importantly, I don't think the family will ever come to an agreement on when to eat. It's nice to know that you're eating at 8:30 every night so you prepare accordingly. Oh well, it'll be nice to give it a go and see how we like it. In addition, we won't feel bad if we opt for Sabatini's or stay in port one night. For some reason I feel a little guilty abandoning our waiters.

And yes, great photos. Especially of Tracy Arm.

Hi Coral : How come there was caution tape over the doors to Shooting Stars?
Someone didn't do all his reading ;):

There were 100 people on our sailing who were going to be on the ship the following week – in order to properly sanitize the ship, Princess planned to “fog” all the public rooms during turn around day. This is covered later, but Princess offered us all a full day excursion to get us off the ship so that they could sanitize the whole ship. Before we left for our excursion, Princess had already closed some of the public bars and started this process. In my pictures – you can see the caution tape over some of the bars.

Mike - it was great to meet you and Shari!

In retrospect - the week we sailed with you two (first week), was not the onboard experience I am used to with Princess but my memories of this cruise will be of Alaska and that part was very good. I would have preferred a few more sunny days but I will definitely treasure my memories of Alaska that week.

And I am ever so thankful that I didn't get sick! I swear, my hands felt raw from washing them so much while on the Sun Princess.

And it was great to meet you, too, Theresa. I had read so many of your posts prior to our trip, including the tip about those forward areas on Baja and Aloha decks where we had our chance meeting with you during our day at College Fjord. Over all, it was a good trip for us, too, despite the virus outbreak and the rainy weather. :)

Coral -

Ironically, I have been reading your posts for a long time, and I was on the Sun Princess the same week as you (May 16-23) - and oddly enough, was only the 9:30 Captain Larry tour that your were - and didn't know you were there. I'm trying to recall everyone I remember from the trip, being only 20 or so, to see if I spoke to you without knowing who you were.....any clues to help me out :).

Maybe the lady that was talking to Captain Larry about his new boat??? Or the one that got the great digital picture of the humpback tail showing the markings so clearly?

BTW, I was rocking 2 days after we sailed through those 15 -20 foot ways on Sunday. A lot of the ship's staff were as sick or worse - but they kept on working through it all. Tatianna, our room attendant, was almost green she was so ill, but she preservered with a smile on her face. She was tremendous!!

John

Ohio

Maybe the lady that was talking to Captain Larry about his new boat???

Hi - I was the one asking Capt Larry about his new boat :) When sitting, I was sitting directly to the left of Capt Larry in the first row. I was often sitting next to the gal with the great whale tail (she did a B2B also). I am 35, tall, blond but probably had my hair pulled back in a barrette so that it wouldn't get in my face when taking pics. BTW - my pics didn't turn out that well from that whale watching trip. Though, as usual - it was a great time with Capt Larry.

John - which one were you? Are you going to post a review or your pics? Did you get some good pics when whale watching?

That last day was definitely rough!

Glad you had a great room steward. I have always had great room stewards and this one was such a disappointment. I had problems getting towels from this person - how annoying! I need to call Princess and see if my sweater showed up anywhere.

Someone didn't do all his reading ;):

Thanks jsea - I saw that post when at work and wasn't sure how I was going to answer that one :) My review probably got boring after the 2nd paragraph :)

Theresa, Great review and pictures. I can't get enough info on Alaska....Thanks. :

Thanks Sharon - I hope you have a lovely cruise!

Nita - I am glad you could see the pictures. Glad you had an awesome cruise also!

-------------

I just wanted to add one more thing that happened on the sailing with Norovirus (first week) that I didn't include in my review.

For the most part (except for the last day), I avoided the Horizon Court but I did walk through it several times and walked by the tables people ate at outside. During the week with Norvirus - when someone would leave a table - Princess employees would put a large sign on each table indicating that the table had not been santized yet and not to sit there (don't remember the exact wording). When they did clean these tables (and remove the sign then) - these tables were cleaned very extensively.

Coral, I always love your reviews and each time you cruise, I anxiously look forward to your photo's. They were beautiful and I recognize some of the locations on the Yukon Highway...not just Emerald Lake and the desert.

Rex and I really love cruising Alaska and have been considering a B2B for next year. I think you just sold the deal.

Thanks again.

Archived