Rhapsody Facebook page getting flamed for gratuity changes

Ah, another tipping thread. Where each side batttles the other to call them 'un-Australian!' (as meaningless as that is).

OK BigM

Your shout !! :D

S and P

I'm happy to tip in the US (and on US cruise lines) where it is expected. On the cruises I have just used the prepaid option with envelopes and vouchers to hand out on the last night.

Sometimes it even gets confusing at home in Oz! Last week I was up in Brisbane on a work trip and a staff member at my hotel got me a taxi and helped with my bags. It was honestly impossible to catch him to give him a tip as he was straight on to helping another guest.

Never have and never will. Thats just the way it is in this country and the way we should keep it.

I don't agree it is that way in Australia. I usually tip in restaurants so long as the service is good and almost everyone I know does. I don't think we should go down the American path (which has turned tipping into a farce) but restaurant tipping at least has been a standard part of Australian life since at least the 70s.

I don't agree it is that way in Australia. I usually tip in restaurants so long as the service is good and almost everyone I know does. I don't think we should go down the American path (which has turned tipping into a farce) but restaurant tipping at least has been a standard part of Australian life since at least the 70s.

I am happy to do the American practice in America, but as Australian I hate to see it coming here.

I can proudly say that I have enjoyed many things in Australia both top quality and average and have never tipped money and never would consider it. I am just an average "blue collar" worker. I enjoy staying at a 5 star hotel when I can and love the fact that this country pays high wages to workers. For all that I love to keep things the way they are and refuse to respect any form of tipping in this country. No one has ever given me extra cash for doing my job.

Besides when people talk of tipping in America they are forgetting one thing. There is extreme divides between their rich and average workers. Unlike Australia where a tradie can pull in a decent income the amount of wage difference in America is so great that when people actually tell you how much their class system earns it makes you realise why tipping is important in that country. The rich are obscenely rich and the poor are poor to an extreme.

I have a friend who is a cleaner. She works 2 jobs to make end meet. In the past she had worked in hotels and the times that people left a little extra for her were remembered and welcome. If I am staying for more than a day or so in a hotel I remember my friend and try to leave a couple of dollars for the house maid. Our wages are not so good that tipping is adding to the already well paid. I work hard for my money and do not throw it around. A few dollars here and there to reward good service is my choice and does not break the bank.

Oh drat, I decided to butt out of tipping discussion - must have forgotten :D

HAHAHA

Ditto... But it becomes unresistable when ...UMM .......... NO !! Not going to say a word...

:D

S and P

Archived