Aft Balcony addiction

warmwinds

I've been in aft balconies twice. I dream about them. We didn't like any of the itineraries X had for Caribbean (all islands we've been to, has to be this particular week in Feb so wanted Carib) so we booked a side balcony on Princess. I kept looking at the pictures of the tiny balcony, the tiny room with no place to sit except on a chair. No sofa. I kept getting more and more depressed. I checked X and they had an aft balcony for the same week. Ports we don't care about. I booked it. I cancelled Princess. I have a feeling of peace and happiness. Am I crazy to book a cruise just because I'm in love with a cabin? Is there a support group for me?

Yeap,

There is hope for you. When we are onboard "M" class ships, it is aft cabins only. The support group meets every night in the Martini Bar, before late seating. It's called "The Friends of Bill V." (that's me):D

It gets better. If you mention you are a "Friend of Bill V" to the bar staff, they add it on to his bar tab. Isn't that great? Bill, you are just too kind;):D

I haven't been in an aft balcony yet, but have one next year. It's tough. I thought I had my cruise addiction under control and then these boards too. Just as I thought it was safe to go out, along comes another potential weakness to contend with:( Ah well.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I have noticed your Hawaii rollcall. You guys seem to not have any problems in your own group, afterall, I think we are all sharing the same travel agent. Maybe more support groups are rapidly forming??? And too funny, sure the first round is on me, you just have to catch up with me.:D

I am joining your group. We got an upgrade to an aft balcony last October and LOVED IT. My husband was convinced we had paid way extra for it. Unfortunately the only cruises we have been on since then have been the QM2, only aft balconies are on the duplexes and two coming up on the Horizonn, no balconies at all. I will however be searching for aft balconies on all future trips.

I am joining your group. We got an upgrade to an aft balcony last October and LOVED IT. My husband was convinced we had paid way extra for it. Unfortunately the only cruises we have been on since then have been the QM2, only aft balconies are on the duplexes and two coming up on the Horizonn, no balconies at all. I will however be searching for aft balconies on all future trips.

cruise, The Horizon does have one balcony but unfortunately, it's not an aft. :)

Dave and I thought we were alone in our addiction to aft cabins, but its nice to know there are other extremists too. We consider ourselves ACES-Aft Cabin Extremists. Even if Bill isn't aboard, feel free to join the ACES at the Martini Bar or on our aft balcony sipping champagne, watching the wake of the ship. The best time we had was in an aft cabin in Hawaii watching the whales frolic just off the aft-so close we could hear them splashing and talking.

Dave and Elaine

Aft cabins are my favorites! Unfortunately my DH spoiled me on our first cruise with one, and it was to Alaska. He still mumbles everytime we start to book a cruise because I insist on an aft cabin. I'm one of those people who spend a lot of time viewing where we are and I even get up in the middle of the night to walk onto our veranda. Also, besides the additional room, the view is so much better. You can see to the left and right besides the back of the ship so picture opportunities fabulous. It's a wonderful place for an afternoon nap and reading too!:D Oh, and a glass of wine before dinner while watching the wake is a marvelous thing to do!

Garry

Dave and I thought we were alone in our addiction to aft cabins, but its nice to know there are other extremists too.
No question, you're in some serious company. We had tried to schedule our last cruise for 16 April, found no aft CC cabins available, and rescheduled it for 9 April just to assure we had one. Note signature line contents, below. There is NO KNOWN TREATMENT FOR THIS DISEASE. The only solution is a periodic "fix".

I've been in aft balconies twice. I dream about them. We didn't like any of the itineraries X had for Caribbean (all islands we've been to, has to be this particular week in Feb so wanted Carib) so we booked a side balcony on Princess. I kept looking at the pictures of the tiny balcony, the tiny room with no place to sit except on a chair. No sofa. I kept getting more and more depressed. I checked X and they had an aft balcony for the same week. Ports we don't care about. I booked it. I cancelled Princess. I have a feeling of peace and happiness. Am I crazy to book a cruise just because I'm in love with a cabin? Is there a support group for me?[/QUOT

I support you, 100%! I shop cabins! :D

We love aft balconies, too. However, they are hard to come by. We did Alaska from an aft balcony aboard NCL Sky. Absolutely wonderful! At this point, I just settle for an unobstructed balcony anywhere. Will not sail without one!!!!

Sue G.

Hi Phil - If we mention we are "Friends Of Phil" do our drinks get added to your bill on the Mercury? - LOL:p

It gets better. If you mention you are a "Friend of Bill V" to the bar staff, they add it on to his bar tab. Isn't that great? Bill, you are just too kind;):D

I haven't been in an aft balcony yet, but have one next year. It's tough. I thought I had my cruise addiction under control and then these boards too. Just as I thought it was safe to go out, along comes another potential weakness to contend with:( Ah well.

Phil

I've been in aft balconies twice. I dream about them. We didn't like any of the itineraries X had for Caribbean (all islands we've been to, has to be this particular week in Feb so wanted Carib) so we booked a side balcony on Princess. I kept looking at the pictures of the tiny balcony, the tiny room with no place to sit except on a chair. No sofa. I kept getting more and more depressed. I checked X and they had an aft balcony for the same week. Ports we don't care about. I booked it. I cancelled Princess. I have a feeling of peace and happiness. Am I crazy to book a cruise just because I'm in love with a cabin? Is there a support group for me?

Yes. The FCAC Society.

Frequent

Cruisers

Aft

Cabin

Society.

I think they meet every other month at Newt's house.

Help is available.;)

We also have been to every Caribbean island, and now book for the cabin, ship, and IF the itinerary is good, that's a plus. Definitley the ship and cabin are priorities; there are days we never leave the ship while its in port.

Esther

And we LOVE LOVE LOVE aft cabins!!!!

Not that I'm complaining, but I've only been in the aft cabins on the M Class...what other lines (someone mentioned NCL) have you had an aft cabin/balcony, and how did they compare to the X M-class? I wonder what the new ones on the Century will be like.

We've even talked ourselves into loving our itinerary now!

And I'm actually quite relieved to hear there is no cure!...but...has anyone had a "regular" cabin/balcony after having afts? Is it as bad as we think it would be? I was depressed just at the prospect!

So what you are all saying is that I should probably cancel my first aft balcony cabin (JS no less) that we have booked for April '06?? ;)

I already have an addictive personally......maybe we would be better off never having had an aft. :D

its such a repetitive cycle. you start with an inside (im saving money) then you get a few bucks ahead and you try a porthole. theres NO going back. the porthole was so nice (all that light) you splurge and go for a window. (so much to see) would'nt a balcony be nice? so you scrimp and you save, ah...heaven! when you go to book next time an aft balcony is available, you grab it-the hell with the kids college, i need prime real estate! :confused: and then it becomes an obsession, you MUST have the aft mini-suite, family ocean view or, throw caution (and money) to the wind- an AFT SUITE! :eek: pretty soon you're living in a refrigerator box at home but one or two weeks while at sea YOU ARE A GOD! :cool:

the moral of this story: don't let it happen to you, i'm living this nightmare!!! :o

its such a repetitive cycle. you start with an inside (im saving money) then you get a few bucks ahead and you try a porthole. theres NO going back. the porthole was so nice (all that light) you splurge and go for a window. (so much to see) would'nt a balcony be nice? so you scrimp and you save, ah...heaven! when you go to book next time an aft balcony is available, you grab it-the hell with the kids college, i need prime real estate! :confused: and then it becomes an obsession, you MUST have the aft mini-suite, family ocean view or, throw caution (and money) to the wind- an AFT SUITE! :eek: pretty soon you're living in a refrigerator box at home but one or two weeks while at sea YOU ARE A GOD! :cool:

the moral of this story: don't let it happen to you, i'm living this nightmare!!! :o

That is too funny.. thanks for my daily laugh

always

My wife and I had a side cabin on Infinity, but had a chance to peek into an aft cabin, and booked an aft corner cabin for our cruise through the Panama Canal on Millenium. There was absolutely nothing like it, the veranda was huge, probably 10 x 20. We hated to leave, maybe some day, we can do it again

Archived