Where to set up onboard expense account

RedLightVegas

When you arrive at the terminal, they will issue a card which will serve as your room key and charge card for all on board purchases. You can back the card with your credit card, or a certain amount of cash.

You can monitor your daily charges from your cabin TV, or get print-outs from the guest relations desk. DSC is added daily.

Hope that this helps.

With Carnival, when you're doing your e-checkin (putting in your proof of citizenship, etc) there's a screen to either set your onboard account up with a credit card right there, or put in that you're going to set it up with cash. If you have a CC already set up, when you get on board you don't have to do anything since it's been pre set up or if you set it up with cash you have to get onboard and set the cash up.

I guess I'll see how to set it up at check in.

With Carnival, when you're doing your e-checkin (putting in your proof of citizenship, etc) there's a screen to either set your onboard account up with a credit card right there, or put in that you're going to set it up with cash. If you have a CC already set up, when you get on board you don't have to do anything since it's been pre set up or if you set it up with cash you have to get onboard and set the cash up.

I guess I'll see how to set it up at check in.

This isn't yet an option on NCL - you can't set up your on-board account until you're onsite at the pier. It should would be nice to do in advance, though!

• 3 weeks later...

a quick question. when I check-in can the $100 cash I give them for my obc go towards my dsc? I will already have almost $200 obc from promo and ncl reward card. so I will have plenty of money since I so frugal on my cruise. thanks so much. :)

a quick question. when I check-in can the $100 cash I give them for my obc go towards my dsc? I will already have almost $200 obc from promo and ncl reward card. so I will have plenty of money since I so frugal on my cruise. thanks so much. :)

NCL does not allow OBC to pay your "service fees" (aka gratuities) If you put cash on your account, that can be used for the fees, but OBC can only be used for purchases, i.e. specialty dining, bar tab, etc. I am guessing that is what you meant by dsc (daily service charge?)

Yes. The cash you place on your onboard account will be utilized to pay the DSC. ;)

NCL does not allow OBC to pay your "service fees" (aka gratuities) If you put cash on your account, that can be used for the fees, but OBC can only be used for purchases, i.e. specialty dining, bar tab, etc. I am guessing that is what you meant by dsc (daily service charge?)

I thought there were two kinds of OBC: refundable (e.g. that you bought with cash) and non-refundable (e.g. that NCL gave you as a promo). Refundable OBC can pay for anything including DSC, non-refundable OBC cannot.

I thought there were two kinds of OBC: refundable (e.g. that you bought with cash) and non-refundable (e.g. that NCL gave you as a promo). Refundable OBC can pay for anything including DSC, non-refundable OBC cannot.

You are correct. People get confused with the term OBC, when in reality you are actually placing cash onto you onboard account. It is a credit to your account, but it is not OBC (which generally comes from NCL or a TA). It gets confusing for many. ;)

Yes. The cash you place on your onboard account will be utilized to pay the DSC. ;)

thanks a lot. I had read I could not use my obc but I am glad too read I can use my $100 cash when I check-in. great help here. :)

thanks a lot. I had read I could not use my obc but I am glad too read I can use my $100 cash when I check-in. great help here. :)

Not sure what cruise you are taking, but NCL wanted $500 pp for our 7 night cruise, if using cash instead of a credit card.

Not sure what cruise you are taking, but NCL wanted $500 pp for our 7 night cruise, if using cash instead of a credit card.

That is unusual that they would demand so much.

There are countless examples of people who have given less.

I myself have given only $400 for two on a 12 night cruise and they never complained.

Normally they just want you to at least cover the Auto Tips for the cruise. They wont let you charge anything if you have used all your cash.

I myself have given only $400 for two on a 12 night cruise and they never complained.

Normally they just want you to at least cover the Auto Tips for the cruise. They wont let you charge anything if you have used all your cash.

im hoping this is the way it is. thanks.

My mother and I will be on the epic for 7 nights next month.....and we intend to set up a cash account. I was worried about how much we will be expected to put in it but your post was reassuring. We have private shore excursions and do it yourself trips planned for ports. Besides the dsc, will only have to pay for a couple of shows and a couple of specialty restaurants on board.

I want too do my payment for my obc on line but I think all 3 of us will have too do it at the same time. the other 2 girls are not eager too do this. does anyone know if I can do it individually just for myself on line? thanks.

Archived