Cunard Dress Code change: Formal and Informal

Salacia

Such a comment is cruel and uncalled for.

Which particular comment?

I did not intend to offend...and if i have I apologise, but I'm afraid I along with several others were offended by what We saw on board but were unable to do anything about it - nor to get an apology. Maybe you have read more than was intended into what was meant to be a fairly lighthearted post.

I did not intend to offend...and if i have I apologise, but I'm afraid I along with several others were offended by what We saw on board but were unable to do anything about it - nor to get an apology. Maybe you have read more than was intended into what was meant to be a fairly lighthearted post.

My thoughts were your reply was an excellent light hearted post in response to English\Scots banter.

The gentleman in question was actually English who wore his kilt in memory of his Irish parents. I'm sorry if you think I am missing the humour in your comments but how distressing would it be if he was accessing this site. The remarks regarding his "looks" are simply not funny.

I think it raises an interesting issue. It seems its appropriate for usual underwear to be dispensed with under a kilt. If a woman likewise dispensed with underwear then she would pretty much offend everyone.

What's the phrase..Manscaping?
Seems more like mens rea to me.

For those who have no sense of humour that is latin for 'guilty mind' and how I wish this person were a member of this forum as they sound quite eccentric and who knows.... I might even buy them a tartan thong (if there is such a garment) or they could sing a tartan song.

Seems more like mens rea to me.

For those who have no sense of humour that is latin for 'guilty mind' and how I wish this person were a member of this forum as they sound quite eccentric and who knows.... I might even buy them a tartan thong (if there is such a garment) or they could sing a tartan song.

Or bang a tartan gong, or smoke a tartan..... never mind :rolleyes:

If you had an issue with not wearing skivvies in high winds, that is one thing......but why was it necessary to disparage his appearance?

Where did Norine do that? I can't see it.
See what!! :D:D C'mon Cruachan own up, twas you flashing your.....

220px-Sporran.jpg

Not a pretty sight but how can it be confused with anything else :eek:;);) (humour)

See what!! :D:D C'mon Cruachan own up, twas you flashing your.....

220px-Sporran.jpg

Not a pretty sight but how can it be confused with anything else :eek:;);) (humour)

How dare you! I am grossly insulted that you would stoop to mention my name in a post illustrated with a picture of a Bl*ck W*tch sporran.

[stomps off in the huff]

J

I have already apologised once if I offended as I did not mean to.. I was not disparaging his general appearance but the more general one of not wearing anything under the kilt. If my choice of words was mis-inpterpreted, or indeed if my use of language was wrong, then, as I have said, I am genuinely sorry.

But this thread is about dress codes, and in my opinion, the gentlemans dress code on this occasion was totally inappropriate. There were high winds at the time, there were quite a few children on board, the deck quoits court is just outside the childrens area, and whilst I am not a prude by any stretch of the imagination, I did not appreciate what I saw.

If Norine is an acquaintance of the gentleman in question, then I would respectfully suggest that he/she has a quiet word with him for future reference.

And who is going to apologize for offending me....and possibly the children around at the time?

If there really was a gentleman (and I use that word advisedly) exposing himself in such a manner ESPECIALLY in the presence of ladies or children then trust me... I would have had words with that individual and if they are indeed a member of this forum then I will publicly say their behaviour was totally UNACCEPTABLE and Mysticalmother PLEASE, please STOP apologising.

I thought you were being humorous with your post but I now feel you are being serious :o:o:o and if so you have my genuine and sincere sympathy.

Shame on anyone that has the nerve to criticise you for mentioning your disgust at what you saw. :mad::mad:

I have already apologised once if I offended as I did not mean to.. I was not disparaging his general appearance but the more general one of not wearing anything under the kilt. If my choice of words was mis-inpterpreted, or indeed if my use of language was wrong, then, as I have said, I am genuinely sorry.

But this thread is about dress codes, and in my opinion, the gentlemans dress code on this occasion was totally inappropriate. There were high winds at the time, there were quite a few children on board, the deck quoits court is just outside the childrens area, and whilst I am not a prude by any stretch of the imagination, I did not appreciate what I saw.

If Norine is an acquaintance of the gentleman in question, then I would respectfully suggest that he/she has a quiet word with him for future reference.

And who is going to apologize for offending me....and possibly the children around at the time?

It's understandable that you did not wish to view this man's genitalia. I know Cunard has relaxed the dress code (and will probably relax it further) but we're not yet at the stage where it's acceptable to flash one's private parts at other passengers.

Unless this man created the high winds himself, I am sure this was not intentional and that he did not set out to expose himself to children.

And the comment about his appearance was NOT limited to his exposure.... if you will recall:

He wasn't a pretty sight - tartan or no tartan I'm afraid. Full stop! (IMHO)

Shame on me indeed :rolleyes:

It's understandable that you did not wish to view this man's genitalia. I know Cunard has relaxed the dress code (and will probably relax it further) but we're not yet at the stage where it's acceptable to flash one's private parts at other passengers.

So now we have gone from being caught in high winds to deliberately flashing people..... what next on the hyperbole railroad, as it pulls into exaggeration station? I suppose we will hear that they were playing a game of ring toss?

So now we have gone from being caught in high winds to deliberately flashing people..... what next on the hyperbole railroad, as it pulls into exaggeration station? I suppose we will hear that they were playing a game of ring toss?

I don't know, I can't think of anything to beat the "hyperbole railroad" and "exaggeration station". Although, perhaps it should have been hyperbole express, as trains are usually found pulling into stations, not railroads.

Wait, I have thought of something. What about an angry mob?

i-mxKwPX4-L.jpg

I don't know, I can't think of anything to beat the "hyperbole railroad" and "exaggeration station". Although, perhaps it should have been hyperbole express, as trains are usually found pulling into stations, not railroads.

Wait, I have thought of something. What about an angry mob?

i-mxKwPX4-L.jpg

LOL!!! Wouldn't it have been even better if groundskeeper Willy were wearing his tartan?

Perhaps it is not a question of Regalia but rather genitalia? Each of which has their proper place and time to be viewed.

Hey, does this mean Cunard needs to be more specific regarding the dress code?

-S:D

Unless this man created the high winds himself, I am sure this was not intentional and that he did not set out to expose himself to children.

And the comment about his appearance was NOT limited to his exposure.... if you will recall:

He wasn't a pretty sight - tartan or no tartan I'm afraid. Full stop! (IMHO)

Shame on me indeed :rolleyes:

I have aleways found that the best policy when we find ourselves in a hole is to stop digging.

I think we need to think about just how difficult it would be to 'accidentally' expose oneself in the manner described by the forum member.

I enjoy a great deal of banter with my skirt wearing military friends but in my limited experience... The only way to flash the gash is to do it in a deliberate manner.

I stand by my comments.

Cruachan

Many apologies for getting your dingly dangly wrong but what the hecky thump are you doing to that poor badger!!! Just look at those eyes and the expression on its face.. 'Here we go again!'

In England there are no doubt laws that cover this type of thing but I suppose once we scale that wall then it is no holds barred!! ;):)

Savages, nothing but a bunch of savages sir!

badgerheadsporransgt.jpg

So now we have gone from being caught in high winds to deliberately flashing people...

You know, there's something about this that puzzles me greatly. I really don't want to get into the rights and wrongs of this specific incident but, every year, here in York and doubtless in many other cities around the world, they hold an even called the "World Naked Bike Ride" - it's supposed to be a protest against something or other. If you happen to wander into the city centre on that day you will find several hundred people, both male and female, in various stages of undress up to and including full-on nudity. Despite this I have never heard a single word raised in protest against the event and I have never heard of a single instance of the police intervening to take action against the participants! It seems to me that dual standards of morality are being applied - if someone, acting on their own account, were to parade naked through York city centre protesting against their pet peeve du jour, my best estimate is that they would be arrested in about 15 minutes on the grounds of outraging public decency or something of the sort. So why is it ok if you are a member of a large group riding bicycles but not if you act as an individual? We live in a very strange world.

J

Archived