Cunard Dress Code change: Formal and Informal

Salacia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Me too. Cheers!

Class has nothing to do with clothing and everything to do with how you treat and respect others. I have just finished reading a long series of reviews of Cunard ships and their cruises, and am sickened and appalled by what I have read. The cruise line appears to be walking around, nose in the air while its unwiped bare arse is exposed for all to witness and smell. I have never seen such a great number of reviewers stating "NEVER AGAIN will I sail wih them".

The number of formal nights, of ladies loving to preen themselves, of those hiding for dinner in reserved dining rooms are just empty gestures - a kind of acknowledgement that faking class declares it's opposite - some people will do every thing to insist they are not serfs.

More surprising is that the same complaints occur every year. I don't know a successful person, business or company who don't constantly seek feedback, and all work hard at correcting and tuning. Most thank their criics. The unsuccessful ridicule, snub, get angry at,blame and make excuses and excuses. It sometimes takes a child to tell them they have no clothes on.

It hit me that Cunard, for all its self proclaimed superioriy, is totally classless and dying, and the rude waiters, office managers, baggage handlers, rotten food, disorganization, long lines at coffee pots, etc, etc, are all the results of a company that disrespects itself, its employees, and its customers. This isn't bad people, its a culture. Hiding behind tea with stale sandwiches, lawn bowling balls and an insistance upon bow ties and tails at every nights dinner won't save it. Class is not what you wear, it's how you show dignity in the ways you treat your self, and how you treat others.

I have travelled a lot and cruised a lot and know that most of the complaints I read of never had to be, and certainly should never have been ignored or gone uncorrected. and I can only conclude that this must have its core in a classless management. Eventually the market will correct that.

Mean while, I don't need the abuse i read of and won't sail with Cunard.

Wear what you want and have fun. "It's the people in front who get the jar."

Bob

Hi Bob. Thanks for your advice.

I agree with your statement that "Class has nothing to do with clothing and everything to do with how you treat and respect others."

By your own definition, the lack of respect you have shown to the crew and passengers of the Cunard Line has illustrated your 'class' - or lack thereof.

Best wishes on your next non-Cunard voyage.

Salacia

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your post. I also wish you well for your future cruises, you should one day try the Cunard Line that I've enjoyed many times, not the one you describe.

(BTW could you please explain "It's the people in front who get the jar" as I'm afraid the meaning is lost on me, unless you mean that the rude, disrespectful and pushy grab life's rewards, and I'm sure you don't mean that)

Best wishes,

Bob. Your comments might be spot on if Cunard denied anyone those activities. But they don't. They are open to all. So really your post became just a rant based on false perceptions.

I don't get the jar thing either, guess I wasn't in front.

Class has nothing to do with clothing and everything to do with how you treat and respect others. I have just finished reading a long series of reviews of Cunard ships and their cruises, and am sickened and appalled by what I have read. The cruise line appears to be walking around, nose in the air while its unwiped bare arse is exposed for all to witness and smell. I have never seen such a great number of reviewers stating "NEVER AGAIN will I sail wih them".

The number of formal nights, of ladies loving to preen themselves, of those hiding for dinner in reserved dining rooms are just empty gestures - a kind of acknowledgement that faking class declares it's opposite - some people will do every thing to insist they are not serfs.

More surprising is that the same complaints occur every year. I don't know a successful person, business or company who don't constantly seek feedback, and all work hard at correcting and tuning. Most thank their criics. The unsuccessful ridicule, snub, get angry at,blame and make excuses and excuses. It sometimes takes a child to tell them they have no clothes on.

It hit me that Cunard, for all its self proclaimed superioriy, is totally classless and dying, and the rude waiters, office managers, baggage handlers, rotten food, disorganization, long lines at coffee pots, etc, etc, are all the results of a company that disrespects itself, its employees, and its customers. This isn't bad people, its a culture. Hiding behind tea with stale sandwiches, lawn bowling balls and an insistance upon bow ties and tails at every nights dinner won't save it. Class is not what you wear, it's how you show dignity in the ways you treat your self, and how you treat others.

I have travelled a lot and cruised a lot and know that most of the complaints I read of never had to be, and certainly should never have been ignored or gone uncorrected. and I can only conclude that this must have its core in a classless management. Eventually the market will correct that.

Bob

Welcome to the Cunard Board and thank you for your insightful, considered, and tautly written critique of Cunard.

Without your penetrating eye for detail, your many years of experience of cruising on Cunard ships, and your frequent contributions to the discussions on this board, I doubt that I would ever have come to realise just how disgusting my eight cruises with Cunard had been.

By the way, your third sentence is, without a shadow of a doubt, quite the classiest piece of writing I have encountered on this board in the six years in which I have been a member. Well done!

J

The trouble with online forums is that the membership is self selecting and therefore skewed in favour of those with vested interests. You will always find those who want and need to criticise things, and those who support the topic through thick and thin. I am a recent member here, excitedly waiting to board my first Cunard ship this weekend, and have been amused by some of the criticism I have read. I take most of it with a pinch of salt - without evidence it is mostly anecdotal and clearly erroneous. The positive advice I have read from seasoned cruisers has been very useful, and I thank everyone who has helped with some of my own questions.

The rant by rorsc has not dented my enthusiasm for my forthcoming holiday one jot. I look forward to returning with thousands of photographs, hours of video, and memories to treasure for the rest of my life.

rorsc is one of those people who used to frequent my father's hotel, never happy unless complaining. Best ignore those people!

Neil

We disembarked the QM2 in Southampton on 25th May & we didn't notice any difference from the 'old' dress rules. On some nights men wore ties, others not. The formal nights were as splendid as ever. The jacket rules were enforced unless in KC or the Winter garden,.

I think mercury51 must being in a state of shock now if he expected everyone to be in sweats! :D

Bob

So it's not all bad news then!:D

I too, like Bob, have read endless reviews of Cunard.

A lot of the time, some of the criticisms raised amaze me. I have to wonder what these people are seeing - because it's not what I see (but some of their comments are true of course).

But, when I read these highly critical reviews, you will then see other's posts along the line of "Well, in that case, you have confirmed it for me, I too, shall never cruise with Cunard because of what you have said".

But the fact is, they were never going to cruise with Cunard in the first place - they just use someone else's review to justify to themselves not doing something they were not going to do anyway.

I too, like Bob, have read endless reviews of Cunard.

A lot of the time, some of the criticisms raised amaze me. I have to wonder what these people are seeing - because it's not what I see (but some of their comments are true of course).

But, when I read these highly critical reviews, you will then see other's posts along the line of "Well, in that case, you have confirmed it for me, I too, shall never cruise with Cunard because of what you have said".

But the fact is, they were never going to cruise with Cunard in the first place - they just use someone else's review to justify to themselves not doing something they were not going to do anyway.

And, for all the whingeing, moaning, complaining and threatened litigation, Cunard never seem to have the slightest difficulty filling their ships.

Before our first cruise, I also read some of these hyper-critical reviews and, on return, wondered if I had actually travelled on a completely different line. I'm not sure what planet these people exist on or how stratospherically high their standards are, but little of what they say seems to bear any relationship to the world that I inhabit.

J

....I also read some of these hyper-critical reviews and, on return, wondered if I had actually travelled on a completely different line. I'm not sure what planet these people exist on or how stratospherically high their standards are, but little of what they say seems to bear any relationship to the world that I inhabit.

To give an example. I recently read a review where the person said a member of staff shouted at her at the terminal, then she was barged out of the way in the corridors by the staff and also she was constantly banged into by waiters in the dining room.

Where on earth did she get those incidents from ? I've never had anything like happen to me, or ever seen anything like that happen to anyone else. But she claimed all those things happened to her.

:rolleyes:

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your post. I also wish you well for your future cruises, you should one day try the Cunard Line that I've enjoyed many times, not the one you describe.

(BTW could you please explain "It's the people in front who get the jar" as I'm afraid the meaning is lost on me, unless you mean that the rude, disrespectful and pushy grab life's rewards, and I'm sure you don't mean that)

Best wishes,

Pepper,

What I googled and found was this:

http://astarmusic.bandcamp.com/track/catch-the-moon

"As a beauty, I am not any star

There are others more handsome by far

But my face, I don’t mind it

I’m behind it

It’s the people in front who get the jar"

"Wear what you want and have fun. "It's the people in front who get the jar."

Bob

So trying to make sense of the comment in regards to the formal aspect of Cunard...I believe it to be a 'put-down'. :rolleyes:

best regards,

seasidegal

Strange, I'm quite looking forward to my upcoming stale sandwiches (followed by a bit of rotten food) as I hide in my dining room, thrashing the serfs as I call for another grape and twiddle idly with my bow tie - then it's off in my top-hat and tails to have an argument with the maitre-d who will no doubt try to punch me, because that's what they are like :rolleyes:

Let's hope this is just someone trolling for fun - the thought that someone could actually believe that and be given access to the internet is too frightening to contemplate!

Archived