Cunard Dress Code change: Formal and Informal

Salacia

Rick

Hope you are having a great cruise. You will have also a great time on your road trip. I just hope you get this blog. Happy Birthday to Bobbie. I am so excited at seeing you in Southampton before you go on Queem Mary 2. I have been on both the other Queens last year and I don`t think you will be disapointed. Yes it is grandure and keeps to the cunard line reputation,but as for the dressing up it is no more than you would do on RCC. I have somthing to tell you when you reach Southampton, but I intend to keep you in the dark. Alan is 70 and I want it to be a surprise. I think you will to. Continue to have a good trip and see you in the hotel on the 24th May. steph known as(shapwick on cruise critic)

Not bad, this thread was started on March 18th, and yesterday I received this notice from Cunard regarding the new dress code for our upcoming crossing on May 25.

It read:

Cunard has introduced a new Dress Code Policy. Whilst keeping with the same frequency of formal nights, the policy has been simplified to

include just two classifications, Formal and Informal. Formal; Dinner jacket, tuxedo or dark suit with tie for gentlemen. Evening or cocktail dress

for ladies. Informal; Jacket required, tie is optional for gentlemen. Cocktail dress, stylish separates or equivalent for ladies.

On Formal evenings, guests wishing to wear less formal attire may dine in our casual alternative restaurants (Kings Court and Lido) and enjoy

pre/post dinner drinks in the Winter Garden and Garden Lounge Bars.

For your day by day dress codes, please visit 'Your Voyage Information' on Voyage Personaliser at http://www.cunard.co.uk. This page can also be

found within the Travel Documents and Preparing to Go sections.

Thank you for your attention to this notification.

Rick

Hi rick guess who try shapwick

I came over on the epic left Miami on April 20 will be on carnival sunshine,rccl liberty, back on epic the celebrity solstice finally heading back across the pond on June 22 out of Hamburg on the qm2 i have been on everyline let them that want to dress then dress you have the clothes the time the desire do so but truth is cruising is like flying you used to put on clothes now it is pajamas and sweats get used to it

I came over on the epic left Miami on April 20 will be on carnival sunshine,rccl liberty, back on epic the celebrity solstice finally heading back across the pond on June 22 out of Hamburg on the qm2 i have been on everyline let them that want to dress then dress you have the clothes the time the desire do so but truth is cruising is like flying you used to put on clothes now it is pajamas and sweats get used to it

That's the spirit!!

Let us know how the pyjamas bit works out for you :eek:

For most of us, a transatlantic crossing is nothing at all like flying, which is why we spend the time (and spend the money) to sail on QM2. Let those that want to wear sweats and pajamas to dinner enjoy every other line under the sun and leave us to kick up our elegant heels on Cunard.

P.S. "You used to put on clothes"? Things must be getting very lax on those other lines you've been sailing!

By clothes I meant when we were flying the clipper planes we dressed as if we were at a christening at one of the manor houses. Now look around even in first class it is relax and comfortable. This is the future either get with it or stay home and dress up in front of your mirror.

I never cease to be amazed by the faith people put in the future and in their ability to predict it. The future will take care of itself. All we can choose for certain is our present, and many of us very happily and very presently choose an elegant voyage on a most elegant ship.

By clothes I meant when we were flying the clipper planes we dressed as if we were at a christening at one of the manor houses. Now look around even in first class it is relax and comfortable. This is the future either get with it or stay home and dress up in front of your mirror.

Hi Mercury,

Bossy a bit?:rolleyes:

Question: Please by what authority are you telling people to 'stay home' and play 'dress up' in front of their mirrors?

Having just got off the QM2, the 'future' I witnessed was one of the younger generation stepping out in gowns, tuxes and suits and having the most enjoyable time and adding a real 'sparkle' to the evening. They were smiling, taking lots of photos and really enjoying themselves.

Didn't notice anyone in the dining room who wasn't dressed to the requested code for the evening and as we sat in the lobby after main seating and watched the second seating guests arrive, they also were dressed accordingly and looked stunninly beautiful/handsome.

Cunard, I believe, was working hard to make sure that those who wanted to be 'comfortable' knew that the place in the evening to do that was King's Court and the Winter Garden and those who took that route seemed to adhere to that request.

Says the Curnard Lines are changing in fact have changed so that means the future is here! mercury51

Quoting from the daily Shipboard Information (left in cabin):

Tonight's Dress Requirements:

Formal Dress: Tuxedo, dinner jacket or formal dark suit with tie for the gentlemen, evening dress or other evening attire for the ladies. Please note that the Formal Dress Code applies from 6 p.m. this evening. Out of respect for your fellow guests, the dress code will be enforced. The King's Court Dinner Buffet provides an alternative for those quests who prefer a more relaxed evening attire.

They also stated that: Passengers opting out of evening wear on formal nights will be welcome in the ships’ main buffet restaurants and in the adjoining Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bars, but not in other areas of the ship.

These requirements were also put on the TV in the cabin for the daily dress code.

Peter Shanks, Cunard’s president and managing director, said: "The glamour of dressing to the nines is a hallmark of travelling with Cunard, and distinguishes us from the mass of cruise operators where dressing up has become a thing of the past.

"In a world where everything seems to tend towards the casual, Cunard is proud to give passengers the opportunity to put on their best bib and tucker and bring an extra special sense of occasion to an evening at sea."

"On other nights, we aim to loosen the tie-making it optional-but we will still require men to wear a jacket."

Hope you enjoy your crossing on the beautiful QM2..whichever venue you pick to frequent in the evenings.

best regards,

seasidegal

You speak in the past my last cruise. The discussion is about the changes that are to be after the end of the world cruises late April May. There will always be people who dress for dinner that is fine but times they are a changing Curnard will soon start to lose its present base when they lay down for the last time in their finery Curnard is unable to compete with other smaller luxury lines that only have to cater to 600 or so. They have a ship to fill and what people wear on that ship will be second to the bottom line.

You speak in the past my last cruise. The discussion is about the changes that are to be after the end of the world cruises late April May. There will always be people who dress for dinner that is fine when they lay but times they are a changing Curnard will soon start to lose its present base down for the last time in their finery Curnard is unable to compete with other smaller luxury lines that only have to cater to 600 or so. They have a ship to fill and what people wear on that ship will be second to the bottom line.

Mercury:

My sailing was last week and it was under the 'new code'. My sailing on the QE was on March 30th and under the 'old' code. However, on both sailings

I noticed that the young people were dressed to 'the nines' and having a really enjoyable time. Since 'young people' are the future, if this trend continues it speaks well to the atmosphere of elegance continuing on Cunard.

"but times they are a changing Curnard will soon start to lose its present base down for the last time in their finery Curnard"

Well, speaking as someone who you would probably class as Cunard's 'present base', I'm hoping to cling to life a bit longer and hope to have many more sailings on Cunard and do my best to dress these old bones in my 'finery'.:D

I doubt that Cunard will put the dress code second to the bottom line as the word 'elegant' is a major part of what Cunard sells as their sailing experience.

However, as Thaxted pointed out, "The future will take care of itself. All we can choose for certain is our present, and many of us very happily and very presently choose an elegant voyage on a most elegant ship."

With those wise words, I bid you a good night.

seasidegal

And away we go again.......

Mercury:

My sailing was last week and it was under the 'new code'. My sailing on the QE was on March 30th and under the 'old' code. However, on both sailings

I noticed that the young people were dressed to 'the nines' and having a really enjoyable time. Since 'young people' are the future, if this trend continues it speaks well to the atmosphere of elegance continuing on Cunard.

"but times they are a changing Curnard will soon start to lose its present base down for the last time in their finery Curnard"

Well, speaking as someone who you would probably class as Cunard's 'present base', I'm hoping to cling to life a bit longer and hope to have many more sailings on Cunard and do my best to dress these old bones in my 'finery'.:D

I doubt that Cunard will put the dress code second to the bottom line as the word 'elegant' is a major part of what Cunard sells as their sailing experience.

However, as Thaxted pointed out, "The future will take care of itself. All we can choose for certain is our present, and many of us very happily and very presently choose an elegant voyage on a most elegant ship."

With those wise words, I bid you a good night.

seasidegal

Thanks seasidegal - on behalf of some of those who are in Cunard's younger demographic, I salute you.

Louise

Hi mercrury51. You certainly must be a very experienced criser, having been on "everyline". So this must not be your first experience of a Cunard voyage. Did you see passengers wearing "pajamas and sweats" in the evening in public areas on Cunard ships? I've experienced only ten QM2 voyages - that makes me a newbie when compared to other dedicated Cunard passengers - and I have not observed that type of dress in the evening in public areas of the ship. (Obviously, to walk the deck in the evening requires different attire, and there was always the casual dining option of Kings Court Buffet. But PJ's, no, that I haven't witnessed.)

My suggestion would be that if you wish to encourge passengers dressing in their pajamas, you should have a PJ party in your stateroom (cabin, suite, or 'room' -your choice). My husband and I have done that more than once when we didn't feel like dressing formally. But the guest list was limited to just the two of us. ;)

Best of luck on your Transatlantic Crossing on QM2. -Salacia

You speak in the past my last cruise. The discussion is about the changes that are to be after the end of the world cruises late April May.

THE WORLD'S GOING TO END IN APRIL/MAY????

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

That should pretty much wind up any discussion about future dress codes.

J

J

You wish! New topic: how to dress for Eternity?

J

Gees, I just realized that bit of good luck! My final payment for my next QM2 isn't until June. Dodged a bullet there! Whew.

... but truth is cruising is like flying you used to put on clothes now it is pajamas and sweats get used to it
Thank you for your contribution to the Cunard board.

I think you may have a surprise (read shock) waiting for you when you are on board QM2, based on my experience. However, I hope you have a pleasant voyage.

(By the way, what are "sweats"? Are they the items of "sports" clothing one sees being worn by some in our major cities; almost always by people who have never played a sport, or seen the inside of a gym? (they seem to be compulsory when purchasing a Mega-Mcburger ’n Fries). Thank you in advance for explaining).

Have a great time on board the amazing Queen Mary 2, Bon Voyage!

(By the way, what are "sweats"? Are they the items of "sports" clothing one sees being worn by some in our major cities; almost always by people who have never played a sport, or seen the inside of a gym? (they seem to be compulsory when purchasing a Mega-Mcburger ’n Fries). Thank you in advance for explaining).

Have a great time on board the amazing Queen Mary 2, Bon Voyage!

Pepper:

I'm so glad that I had that extra cup of coffee that has kept me awake till 2 a.m. just so I can end this day with a great laugh. :D

I have never seen a better definition of 'sweats'!

You not only take the best pictures you are truly a funny guy:D

continued happy sailings to you,

seasidegal

Archived