Cunard Dress Code change: Formal and Informal

Salacia

Rorsc, something you wrote really put my mind at ease. "It's more fun to be on a cruise and expecting all to be wonderful than to discover after being forwarned that its not. We're travelling a long way and spending lots to do it. Why take a that risk."

I too was looking forward to my first Cunard voyage. But then came the posts about the new dress code. No more evening elegance. Members wrote about how even the TAs got more and more casual with each passing night. T shirts in the theatre. Jeans OK for the Hamburg-Oslo rocker cruise.

My expectation was the grand ocean liner formality and elegance. Now it was so suddenly changed. With great sadness I too cancelled. Some people here tried to tell me not to cancel over a dress code. But why sail on Cunard only spend the entire time miserable over the change? Like you I was forewarned.

Some of you may judge me to be a pathetic person who has no other place to wear a nice evening dress. Perhaps even petty, selfish, and small minded to cancel just because the other passengers will not be playing ‘’dress up’’ with me. I don’t give a rat's posterior if you do. It is my time and my money and my choice on how not to spend it.

QM2 comes into my ‘hood today. Maybe some things are best appreciated from a distance. She still looks elegant outside. That I can still enjoy until she gets the garish hull art to make her a more contemporary and ''with it'' cruise ship to go with the more contemporary and ''with it'' style of dress.

I wish you all a great time on which ever ship you choose to sail.

Maggie, It is, of course, your choice and I doubt that anyone here will take you to task for your decision. As you must have noticed, most of us love the formal nights for which Cunard is famous, just as we appreciate the casual elegance that characterizes many a voyage from beginning to end. But I do wonder if you've taken unnecessary fright at the changes in the dress code.

Yes, the upcoming November rock extravaganza is one I'd happily miss. But transatlantic crossings appeal to a very different crowd. There will still be three wonderful formal nights, stimulating lectures, afternoon tea, the power and beauty of a magnificent ship, and the adventure of sailing across the North Atlantic. No doubt you'll find some slobs on board, but there have always been a few. I doubt very much that you'll be surrounded by hordes of barbarians.

All this may not be enough for you, and you have every right to seek the vacation of your dreams. Still, I think it would be a shame if you were to miss the good in order to find the perfect that may well not exist.

Whatever you do, I'm sure that we all wish you the very best.

I too was looking forward to my first Cunard voyage. But then came the posts about the new dress code. No more evening elegance. Members wrote about how even the TAs got more and more casual with each passing night. T shirts in the theatre. Jeans OK for the Hamburg-Oslo rocker cruise.

I certainly think you're being hasty there. We depart today for 2 weeks on Queen Victoria, and there are four formal evenings planned. How can you say there is no more evening elegance?

And I think the Hamburg cruise is a bit of a red herring - there is no way Cunard would not warn passengers if what appears to be a normal cruise is going to be a rock cruise.

Rorsc, something you wrote really put my mind at ease. "It's more fun to be on a cruise and expecting all to be wonderful than to discover after being forwarned that its not. We're travelling a long way and spending lots to do it. Why take a that risk."

My expectation was the grand ocean liner formality and elegance. Now it was so suddenly changed. With great sadness I too cancelled. Some people here tried to tell me not to cancel over a dress code. But why sail on Cunard only spend the entire time miserable over the change? Like you I was forewarned.

Some of you may judge me to be a pathetic person who has no other place to wear a nice evening dress. Perhaps even petty, selfish, and small minded to cancel just because the other passengers will not be playing ‘’dress up’’ with me. I don’t give a rat's posterior if you do. It is my time and my money and my choice on how not to spend it.

QM2 comes into my ‘hood today. Maybe some things are best appreciated from a distance. She still looks elegant outside. That I can still enjoy until she gets the garish hull art to make her a more contemporary and ''with it'' cruise ship to go with the more contemporary and ''with it'' style of dress.

Maggie, so sorry you won't be sailing on the QM2, she is such a beautiful ship.

I crossed the end of April on the first transatlantic under the new code. And I didn't notice any difference in how people dressed in the evenings. Everyone seemed to be enjoying dressing up, especially the young people.

Hope in the future you do get a chance to experience the QM2.

best regards,

seasidegal.

p.s. Thaxted, what a lovely post!

Hello again Maggie. Without searching for past posts, if I remember correctly you were thinking of taking the QM2 5 night July r/t Brooklyn cruise. You cancelled because of the change in dress code? If so, I am sorry to hear that. Just my personal opinion, but I think you might be missing a pleasant experience.

I share your concern about the change in dress code. But I'm going on this cruise (for the third time). I can't be responsible for how others dress, but I will do my best to look respectable ;) I have every confidence that my fellow passengers will do the same.

Regards,

Salacia

Hello again Maggie. Without searching for past posts, if I remember correctly you were thinking of taking the QM2 5 night July r/t Brooklyn cruise. You cancelled because of the change in dress code? If so, I am sorry to hear that. Just my personal opinion, but I think you might be missing a pleasant experience.

I share your concern about the change in dress code. But I'm going on this cruise (for the third time). I can't be responsible for how others dress, but I will do my best to look respectable ;) I have every confidence that my fellow passengers on will do the same.

Regards,

Salacia

P.S. "Why take the risk"? - question posed by Bob which you echoed. Weight the benefit to risk ratio - just a thought.

Sept 24th ‘12

Bon voyage! Any embarkation day is a beautiful day! I know that my mood brightens the minute I step on board.

March 2nd ‘13

I haven't sailed on any ship before. The grand ocean liner elegance is exactly what I am looking forward to too!

May 31st ‘13

…I too was looking forward to my first Cunard voyage. But then came the posts about the new dress code. No more evening elegance. Members wrote about how even the TAs got more and more casual with each passing night. T shirts in the theatre…. My expectation was the grand ocean liner formality and elegance. Now it was so suddenly changed. With great sadness I too cancelled. Some people here tried to tell me not to cancel over a dress code. But why sail on Cunard only spend the entire time miserable over the change?…

Hi MaggieMM,

I was sorry to read that you’ve cancelled your first (?) voyage. Esp. as you were intending to board the world’s only ocean liner, Queen Mary 2, for a short cruise.

I respect your decision of course, but would strongly suggest that you book again, this time for a trans-Atlantic crossing on QM2. After all, you’ll never experience those wonderful formal evenings on a “grand ocean liner” that you so desire, if you don’t take the plunge and book a grand ocean liner :) .

You will witness what passengers (including me!) see on board during each and every crossing: wonderful formal evenings with “passengers dressed in their best to impress”… and my guess is… you’ll be hooked as I was several years and many voyages ago.

The pictures via the link below will give you an idea of how much of an ocean liner QM2 is, and not just from a distance! The “winter crossing” set of photos were taken only a few months ago, note the pictures of an evening in the Queens Room: every person dressed formally. Other sets show photos of formal dinners in the Britannia Restaurant: Not a single t-shirt in sight! There are pictures of the many lounges on QM2 as well.

I cannot begin to tell you of the many evenings I’ve spent in the theatres, bars etc. or simply walking the decks, surrounded by fellow passengers all dressed formally. I (and many others) wouldn’t keep booking if it wasn’t so.

Seasidegal has just returned from two crossings of the Atlantic (QE & QM2): you should ask her if there were any formal evenings on a grand ocean liner, mid ocean (edited to add: see above! :) ).

And of course, a crossing on an ocean liner, or indeed any voyage on a Cunard ship, isn’t only about the formal evenings, they are only a part of the whole amazing (and for me, life changing) experience. Once on board, you’ll see what I mean!

And if the informal evenings on a QM2 trans-Atlantic crossing aren’t formal enough for you, then at least you’ll have had the experience of grand ocean liner travel and will be able to say “it wasn’t for me” with the authority gained from first hand experience.

But now, having cancelled, you’re in that other place, with a desire to experience formal nights on a grand ocean liner… and been presented with the opportunity to do just that… but not booked and experienced a voyage on the world’s only grand ocean liner.

You’ll never know till you try it for yourself…

Best wishes… and maybe a huge “Bon Voyage”??? :) :)

I share your concern about the change in dress code. But I'm going on this cruise (for the third time). I can't be responsible for how others dress, but I will do my best to look respectable ;) I have every confidence that my fellow passengers will do the same.

Regards,

Salacia

My thoughts entirely,

I was disappointed when I found out about these new dress codes but will it effect me?

Or alter the way I dress?

There is an excellent saying that might be worth considering...

You can never judge a book by its cover.

Just like Maggiemm I have never cruised before and some folks suggested I try a short cruise to see if we would enjoy the experience. I have since read posts that have prevented me from even considering going on a short cruise (Our decision, our choice) but on the cruise we will be going on, I WILL be wearing a tie when wearing a jacket. What others decide to wear is down to them but hopefully whatever folk opt to wear they will be decent folk and good company.

Maggiemm

What cruise line will you sail with instead of Cunard?

General Question

Does any similar priced cruise company have an enforced dress code?

For some unknown reason, some people don't understand the concept of a dress code and what it involves.

It's not "what others decide to wear is down to them", it's about wearing something that complies with the dress code.

I don't.

I think he may be referring to this:

"But why sail on Cunard only spend the entire time miserable over the change?"

The entire time? As if formal evenings are 24/7?

Or perhaps it was this:

"No more evening elegance"

Really? Formal nights have not been removed, and it will be the same few slobs violating the code as did before. Nothing has changed as many here have confirmed after sailing under the so-called "new" dress code.

The most troubling aspect is that she is putting her own assumptions of what might happen over actual facts and observations made by those having experienced the new code....as though she would prefer to believe the worst rather than be comforted by better news. I supposed many would be stuck with this idee fixe in the beginning but after two months why is there still such worry?

Maggie, don't cut off your nose to spite your face.....how will you feel when the first review of your sailing is posted only to find out that there was no change in the elegance and formality of Cunard formal nights? You will be kicking yourself into tomorrow. Take the voyage and make your own observations rather than relying on fear to guide you in this decision.

I was hoping folks would understand what I meant when I stated

What others decide to wear is down to them

I suppose I should have said:

What others decide to wear is down to them as long as it complies to the required dress code

I just feel it is down to the individual to decide what colour, cut of jacket they wear, it is down to the individual what style or cut of trousers they wear, hence my comment.......

What others decide to wear is down to them

Apologies for the confusion

For some unknown reason, some people don't understand the concept of a dress code and what it involves.

It's not "what others decide to wear is down to them", it's about wearing something that complies with the dress code.

HI Whitemarsh,

I was hoping to meet you on the Queen Mary this year. I did ask around, but could not find you. Perhaps next time :).

Marie

Hi Maggie and Rorsc. You have decided that you don't want to go through the months prior to your cruise worrying about whether or not it will live up to your standards. I can understand how those pre-cruise worries can make you think that the whole cruise experience may not be worthwhile (because, after all, we spend more time anticipating the cruise than we do actually cruising). I had a worry over a different issue but luckily it was resolved before I left. However, it makes me understand your situation.

Let me just say that in terms of dress, the males among us can still dress in jackets and ties while the women can still wear long dresses and cocktail dresses. (In fact I see the possibility for MORE formality, not less, as I could wear a cocktail dress more often now than with the old dress code.) The concern, then, is what you will see around you. Will it worry you if you are dressed up and others are in jeans and t-shirt? As long as I am wearing suitable attire, I choose not to notice what others are wearing. I can be selectively blind. Only you know how it will affect you.

Good luck choosing a cruise. I hope you come on a Cunard cruise in the near future as it is a fantastic experience.

Definition of the term "Drama Queen"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=drama%20queen

I think that it is appropriate here

Appropriate - in the sense that there are quite a few here

Barry

Name Calling:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/name-calling

noun:

the use of abusive names to belittle or humiliate another person.

Not sure why you think this adds anything to the discussion:confused: or

why anyone would want to do this to another person.

best regards,

seasidegal

Just a funny observation. In Australia we would say "it is UP to each person to decide what they will wear" not 'DOWN to". :)

Fantasy, you may be right. People might dress a little more formally on those previously called 'casual' evenings. Except on embarkation day.

I think ignoring comments designed to personally insult is the best thing.

HI Whitemarsh,

I was hoping to meet you on the Queen Mary this year. I did ask around, but could not find you. Perhaps next time :).

Marie

Hi, hope you had a great cruise and a nice holiday. :)

Just a funny observation. In Australia we would say "it is UP to each person to decide what they will wear" not 'DOWN to". :)

Fantasy, you may be right. People might dress a little more formally on those previously called 'casual' evenings. Except on embarkation day.

I think ignoring comments designed to personally insult is the best thing.

That's right, we would say up instead of down. But, upon reflection I believe they would say the same thing in England, as in it's up to you not it's down to you.

It's down to you would normally be used in a different context, such as motivating a team member during a crucial part of a game.

Hi, hope you had a great cruise and a nice holiday. :)

That's right, we would say up instead of down. But, upon reflection I believe they would say the same thing in England, as in it's up to you not it's down to you.

It's down to you would normally be used in a different context, such as motivating a team member during a crucial part of a game.

Same in the US.... it is up to you means a decision is yours. Down to you means you are the only one left, or the last who can help.

In fact I see the possibility for MORE formality, not less, as I could wear a cocktail dress more often now than with the old dress code.

That is certainly going to be true for me. I have a lot of clothes that I intended to to be worn on semi-formal nights. Now the vast majority of them will be worn on informal nights.

I don't often wander over on to the Cunard forum but this thread immediately caught my eye.

If the World is forever getting more casual where, apart from eventually to our deathbeds, will those of us who like to dress up on their holidays go? I am saddened that Cunard is yielding to this trend. I thought it marvellously eccentric that on my QE2 transatlantic (which was done in five nights in those days) we had three formal nights in a row. In fact I would seriously consider any cruise line where every night was formal.

You can spot me in a beach-front hotel around Europe - I am the only man in a suit - apart from the staff that is. I too defy the 'casual' dress codes aboard ships.

Oh well, I will not be running back to Cunard anytime soon. One of their unique selling points has just been extinguished.

I don't often wander over on to the Cunard forum but this thread immediately caught my eye.

If the World is forever getting more casual where, apart from eventually to our deathbeds, will those of us who like to dress up on their holidays go? I am saddened that Cunard is yielding to this trend. I thought it marvellously eccentric that on my QE2 transatlantic (which was done in five nights in those days) we had three formal nights in a row. In fact I would seriously consider any cruise line where every night was formal.

You can spot me in a beach-front hotel around Europe - I am the only man in a suit - apart from the staff that is. I too defy the 'casual' dress codes aboard ships.

Oh well, I will not be running back to Cunard anytime soon. One of their unique selling points has just been extinguished.

It hasn't changed that much. There are still formal nights (I have 3 in my upcoming 7 night cruise) and men still have to wear jackets each evening - the only difference is that on informal nights you don't have to wear a tie.

It hasn't changed that much. There are still formal nights (I have 3 in my upcoming 7 night cruise) and men still have to wear jackets each evening - the only difference is that on informal nights you don't have to wear a tie.

... and a lot of us still wear ties even then. Rumours of the death of the Cunard dress code have been greatly exaggerated.

Spot on. We got off QV yesterday and have never before seen so many cocktail dresses on non-formal nights (twelve in total). Those who have a problem with tieless males may find life a little difficult, however, as the majority seem to have embraced this change with enthusiasm.

Those of a delicate disposition may wish to look away now but we ate in the Lido on several evenings (painfully slow service in Britannia, but that's another story), passing though the Winter Garden, the area reserved for those not wishing to conform to the evening's dress code, on our way. It was completely deserted on every occasion and the bar staff looked bored stiff.

Apart from the slow service, everything was wonderful.

Mary

Archived