15 Days to Hawaii With Kids

bartamus2002

Haven't done a Hawaii cruise, but if you are going over Christmas break, I think all the "usual" patterns are a bit different...meaning, there will probably be quite a few families and probably many children on this cruise.

We checked the numbers on a similar cruise a couple of years ago. Few children were booked. However, if you're thinking about the Dec 20 cruise, the numbers might be different this year since the 20th is the Friday before Christmas, just before break begins for many kids. Unfortunately, my children have a much shorter break, so we can't cruise then, but it sounds like fun! Enjoy!!!

We checked the numbers on a similar cruise a couple of years ago. Few children were booked. However, if you're thinking about the Dec 20 cruise, the numbers might be different this year since the 20th is the Friday before Christmas, just before break begins for many kids. Unfortunately, my children have a much shorter break, so we can't cruise then, but it sounds like fun! Enjoy!!!

That is correct. This cruise perfectly positioned around winter break in schools. At least in son's school. So, I'm expecting lot more kids this time around. (That why its so expensive.)

We don't try to keep track of how many kids. Unless perhaps they are running all over the place. But for sure you will have some children of all ages. But still on that cruise you have a lot of sea days.

On our Hawaii cruises if there were 25 kids on board it would have surprised me. And not doubting the 85 kids, that would be way more than we have ever seen.

Most of our cruises you were hard pressed to count hardly any. When we took GD to Alaska, Coral Princess there were virtually no kids.

I have done the cruise twice once with kids and once without. the without was in the summer and there were a number of kids on board. The one with was a xmas cruise and I believe the number of kids was over 800. That was not a problem and really there was no problem with them. the last few nights the older kids started to hang out more on the lido and stairways. I remember them all looking so sad because the cruise was almost over and they were heartbroken that they were losing new friends.

I am sure there will be kids your kids age. they only need a few to have a great time and I think there will always be a good number.

My wife and I are thinking about doing a 15 day cruise from LA to Hawaii over Christmas. We have a16 and 13 year old and was wondering if there would be a lot of other children on the cruise. Anyone have any insight on this? Thanks.

We did the Hawaiian RT over the holidays three times: 2005/6, 2010/11, and 2012/13. I really don't know how many kids under 21 as I didn't check, except for the first one when our girl was 8, and I believe there were 250 kids. She was 13 and 15 on the last two times and she didn't spend too much time in the Remix, but she did go the first night or so to meet the teens and make some friends for the cruise, to hang out by the pool, etc. Two of the girls from that second cruise were on our December cruise -- one she liked, and they had actually kept in touch the last two years on FB so they were able to make plans to meet up on this last cruise. They added another girl and three boys to their group. It was funny when we would run into them -- when we were in the Piazza, we heard her voice in the art gallery. They were analyzing the art work. I also saw her group walk by when watching a movie or eating in the Horizon. They seemed pretty well behaved.

There will be packet of info in your cabin for the teen program with the day-by-day listing of activities, but it seems it's best if they go the first night to make sure they meet many of the others and see who they click with. If you're on the ship for NYE, the teens will enjoy the party in the Piazza (it seemed there were passengers from age 1 to 80 or older partying in 2013).

But don't go strictly by the roll call as you'll find there will be plenty who will be on your cruise who have never heard of Cruise Critic, or have, but aren't into posting about their kids.

As for the one sailing on the Oct. 4th cruise, I wouldn't expect to see too many kids as usually this cruise is heavy on west coasters, and I really don't think too many (at least not the big school districts) that take off in early October. Especially not for two weeks.

Our family has done the Hawaii Christmas cruise four times and it is a favorite for our kids. There have always been plenty of kids onboard during that time of year, even when the schedule didn't exactly coincide with school breaks. We have allowed our kids to miss a couple of school days prior to or after break if need be to make this cruise. You will find lots of extended families traveling together with grandparents down to toddlers. It definitely has the most congenial, family feel of any cruise we have done. People seem to be engaged by the holiday spirit. There are Christmas activities specifically for families onboard such as the Gingerbread House contest and Family Fun Fair complete with a visit from Santa with a gift for each child and teen. It is a wonderful way to spend the holidays!

My wife and I are thinking about doing a 15 day cruise from LA to Hawaii over Christmas. We have a16 and 13 year old and was wondering if there would be a lot of other children on the cruise. Anyone have any insight on this? Thanks.

If you call Princess, they can tell you how many kids in that age bracket are booked for your cruise.

Of course it is only March now, and the answer can change by the fall.

We are leaving from SF on Oct 4th and bringing our 11 year old daughter. The trip syncs beautifully with her fall break and I hope there are other kids her age onboard.

I am afraid that there will be very few, if any, kids on this cruise. The only time this cruise has children onboard is during holidays... This will probably be a very boring cruise for your daughter. Not sure how the kid's club will be, because of the lack of kids... It would be a good idea for you to call Princess and ask how many kids will be onboard, then you will have a better idea. But yes, this cruise is mostly comprised of older people, especially on non-holiday ones... Maybe your daughter can catch up on her reading on those long sea days. Also, remember that the first two sea days and the last two sea days can be cool to chilly...

Let's put it this way, I would not take my 22-year old son on this one for all the reasons listed above.

Fortunately, we have a great relationship with our daughter and can keep ourselves entertained for days. She has made plans with youth groups on the various islands, so for the sea days we will enjoy our books and games and covered swimming pools and restaurants and entertainers and movies and views and trivia and cooking demonstrations and crafts, etc...If there happens to be some other kids her age, we will happily share her as they experience those things, and Mama and I may get some alone time :D.

Of course, some time alone with her Mother and Father is at the top of her list of things to do :rolleyes:...but it will be great to have some kids to hang with on the boat.

Fortunately, we have a great relationship with our daughter and can keep ourselves entertained for days. She has made plans with youth groups on the various islands, so for the sea days we will enjoy our books and games and covered swimming pools and restaurants and entertainers and movies and views and trivia and cooking demonstrations and crafts, etc...If there happens to be some other kids her age, we will happily share her as they experience those things, and Mama and I may get some alone time :D.

Of course, some time alone with her Mother and Father is at the top of her list of things to do :rolleyes:...but it will be great to have some kids to hang with on the boat.

Your family seems very similar to ours. We spent 23 days in Southeast China with our two kids when they were 7th and 8th grade. Hardly any other kids on the cruise. Our two enjoy spending time with us, just as we do spending time with them. You will have a wonderful trip.

In that case, you and your daughter will have a great time. It is a wonderful cruise!

We were on the Sapphire for New Years this year to Hawaii. It had quite a few kids onboard of various sizes and ages. Saw many in the pools when they were open. (rough seas on our voyage)

We were on the Coral (14 day through the canal) in February of last year and there was a total of three children onboard.

So, it just depends.

Whatever way the dice roll. . just be sure that they keep in mind some rules that didn't seem to be informed on this past cruise. Yes, we had lots of children and they seemed to 'swarm' at times. For example, there were about 15 of us waiting for the elevators, staying far enough away so those exiting could do so when the doors opened. The 'swarm' appeared before the doors did open and they crowded at the doors and then hijacked it from the rest of us.

The other problem I saw was the 'swarm' that ran up and down the halls when the weather wasn't optimal and there was nothing else to do. We had many passengers who were semi-disabled and I am glad to report I didn't see any accidents in my dealings with them. I would tell them to stop running as no one else in the area seemed to be concerned. You just don't know what is around the corner from you!

I am sure you will all have a great trip. Enjoy!!

Archived