Unpopular post: Didn't care for the suite life

signora

Jerry Seinfeld--I'll take the first class seat

Elaine--Why should you get the first class seat?

Jerry--Elaine, have you ever flown first class?

Elaine--No

Jerry--All right, then. See, you don't know what you're missing. I've flown first class, Elaine. I can't go back to coach. I can't . . . I won't.

Seinfeld "The Airport"

hahahah, love that one!

Damn you all! :p :)

Now I'm starting to have some real misgivings about the size of the OV cabin we've booked on Star after telling "she who must be obeyed" that it doesn't have the little sofa/sitting area we've had in previous OV cabins on other cruise lines (why ARE the cabins so small on Star anyway?).

So I'm thinking I may just "upgrade fairy" us myself (at prevailing rates, naturally), and pay the extra $1000 to switch into a Mini Suite (there are 15 currently available, 11 of which are mid-ship. While only GTY is available on balcony cabins).

There are 31 days left, so I think I'll keep my eyes peeled for any further price drops for the next couple of weeks at least. And then maybe take the plunge before the real "upgrade fairy" starts to call folks herself (or himself, as the case maybe).

We personally loved the suite life on the Star a couple of years ago. We ate breakfast every morning in our room while enjoying the beautiful aft view. I loved not having to get showered and dressed for breakfast. It was definitely my favorite perk! It was also nice to have the priority embarkation and debarkation, as well a the priority tenders in Cabo. We never used the concierge. He (Patrick) seemed very uninterested in us lowly penthouse suite guests, to the almost insulting level. He got the tip he earned, a big fat ZERO. Our butler was nice and efficient, although not overly friendly. It didn't stop him from providing good service, I would just not say it was over the top. My mom's butler was very friendly and went out of is way to make their stay amazing. (She was in one of the new family balcony suites at the front of the ship). There was a definite difference between the 2 butlers.

We loved the suite life so much we will only go in a suite now. We really don't cruise very often, so we make it work financially. We own several time shares, so cruising is really expensive compared to our normal vacations anyway, so when we do it, we do it the way we want. :)

Will be taking our first Suite cruise this fall (B2B Boston-Quebec-Boston). Decided to splurge for my 50th birthday, and since it leaves from our home port there's no airfare or hotel stay involved, which freed up a little extra. Will end up about the same price as our trip to Hawaii which was close to two weeks (but only one week on the POA). This way, no flights, straight cruising the entire time, and a suite on top of it. Should be delightful.

We spend a lot of time in our cabin, so more space and a great view (SJ cabin, no balcony) seemed like the way to go on this cold weather itinerary. We enjoy our excursions, and dinner in the restaurants and the shows, but don't spend much time just hanging out in public spaces outside of that. The small Norwegian cabins are fine for a week, functional enough, but for a longer cruise I think the extra space will be well, well worth it.

I anticipate trying most of the restaurants over the course of the two weeks, but we were really happy with the buffet on POA, so I imagine on port excursion days that will be more efficient than Cagneys and we'll just grab something there on our way out.

We'll get a spa pass, too, which we're looking forward to. My mom loves a good hot tub, but not tempted by the hot tubs on the main deck with all the commotion going on. I hope this way she can relax and enjoy the spa time to recuperate from the gogogo vacation time.

Will be taking our first Suite cruise this fall (B2B Boston-Quebec-Boston). Decided to splurge for my 50th birthday, and since it leaves from our home port there's no airfare or hotel stay involved, which freed up a little extra. Will end up about the same price as our trip to Hawaii which was close to two weeks (but only one week on the POA). This way, no flights, straight cruising the entire time, and a suite on top of it. Should be delightful.

We spend a lot of time in our cabin, so more space and a great view (SJ cabin, no balcony) seemed like the way to go on this cold weather itinerary. We enjoy our excursions, and dinner in the restaurants and the shows, but don't spend much time just hanging out in public spaces outside of that. The small Norwegian cabins are fine for a week, functional enough, but for a longer cruise I think the extra space will be well, well worth it.

I anticipate trying most of the restaurants over the course of the two weeks, but we were really happy with the buffet on POA, so I imagine on port excursion days that will be more efficient than Cagneys and we'll just grab something there on our way out.

We'll get a spa pass, too, which we're looking forward to. My mom loves a good hot tub, but not tempted by the hot tubs on the main deck with all the commotion going on. I hope this way she can relax and enjoy the spa time to recuperate from the gogogo vacation time.

My mom and her friend are also doing that cruise! Although they are only going one way ending in Boston. They too chose the suite without the balcony, as they figured the windows would be more than sufficient with the cooler weather. Have fun!

Archived