Unpopular post: Didn't care for the suite life

signora

Returned a few weeks ago from our Pearl cruise where we had booked a PH forward--first time in a suite and I didn't care for it (but DH did!). I think I like the small enclosed space of a regular cabin: cozier, safer. We felt like royalty but I kept thinking: "This isn't me!" Also, we spent a lot more time in our cabin (because it was so huge and comfortable) but less time exploring the ship and interacting with other passengers. Didn't feel like Cagney's was something special--more selection at the buffet. So next time around it's a plain ol' balcony for us members of the hoi polloi.

Well I'm pretty sure it's not for everyone.

Friends of ours had the upsell fairy phone them. And they turned it down because they said they didn't want to spend that amount of time hidden away in their cabin as well. And felt if they had a regular sized cabin they would just go there to change clothes and sleep. So you are not alone in your feelings.

While I would like the additional space (I travel with a family of 5 or 6), I would get little value out of the concierge, butler and dining perks I think. Not worth the extra money to me in most cases. You're not alone.

I have a feeling I'd be the same way. Except I'm even fine with an OV over a Balcony. Although...NCL Star's OVs seem to be a bit smaller than the other ships we've been on (not even enough room even for the small couch you get in the Star's balcony cabins!), so I'd be inclined towards an up-sell of some kind if that darn fairy were to call already! ;)

Just this morning taken a look for our sailing and both Garden Villas are still available, as are a handful 2-bed Family and Family suites, some Juniors, Penthouses (inc Aft Facing). In fact, the only thing that's sold out, sold out is OV (though Balcony cabins are also on GTY only).

I loved the two-bedroom suite on the Epic. The room itself was spectacular, and I paid less for it than I did for my one balcony plus one inside on my next cruise.

That said, I don't even know what to do with a butler and rarely used his services. I did use the concierge a few times, but only because I felt like I should figure out something to use her services for! I also really enjoyed the Epic club.

I would book it again if the price was right, but I'm perfectly happy in my regular balcony room.

Interesting post. Thanks for sharing. Interesting that you say you were treated like royalty and did not like the additional space. Most times people complain of the service and say their cabin is too small.

Different opinions is what makes the world go around ;)

We loved out Penthouse suite on the Star. The whole experience was great. However, we never used or saw the conceirge. The Butler we saw every day when he brought the late afternoon snacks. Other than that we had no request for the Butler either. Although he did find out I love cookies and brought me cookies every day. But we could easily return to our balcony cabins as long as it is aft facing. :D

Well I'm pretty sure it's not for everyone.

Friends of ours had the upsell fairy phone them. And they turned it down because they said they didn't want to spend that amount of time hidden away in their cabin as well. And felt if they had a regular sized cabin they would just go there to change clothes and sleep. So you are not alone in your feelings.

I agree. I keep thinking maybe I will do it for my daughter's graduation, but the truth is, we'd never be in there .... just like now. We are in the cabin to dress and sleep. To me, it would be wasted money. If it was a comfort issue, like first class seating on an airplane, that would be a different story.

Now that you have tried it, you know it is not for you.

I really enjoyed the suite life. then again, I enjoy cruising in regular cabins, too. Assuming I had the time, I'd probably select two or three weeks in an inexpensive cabin rather than spending the same amount for a week in a nice suite.

For me its a double edged sword. I love a suite but then after the cruise, I tell myself you dont need to spend all that money on a cruise. But next time, I still find myself wanting a suite :(

I'm the same way with coach class on commercial aircraft, particularly long haul flights. Always find myself pining for business class, especially when it's an overnight flight and business class has seating that converts into a flat bed.

Heaven forbid I should ever run into anyone who wants to give me a ride on a private jet! ;)

I usually book the 2 bedroom, I love the extra space for four of us. I work 2 jobs and life is very hectic for me. The haven area is truly heaven. Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a snob, but I don't have any other time to pamper myself.

I have never stayed in a suite. I did have a fabulous aft balcony wraparound cabin on the Carnival Glory last summer, which was amazing. I don't really care about having the extra cabin space, but having a balcony large enough to fit several chaise loungers is fabulous! My next cruise is on NCL Dawn this summer and we have a BD balcony guarantee-crossing my fingers for an upgrade :)

I'm the same way with coach class on commercial aircraft, particularly long haul flights. Always find myself pining for business class, especially when it's an overnight flight and business class has seating that converts into a flat bed.

Heaven forbid I should ever run into anyone who wants to give me a ride on a private jet! ;)

Absolutely agree. We also walk to the airport as we enjoy nature and also take a sandwich to the airport as the champagne bar requires waiting for service.

;)

I'm really, really glad you posted.

We just got off our first suite experience yesterday, from the Jewel.

It is our favourite ship, but we thought the suite experience was highly overrated.

We LOVED the room size and the balcony... but you can accomplish a balcony without a suite.

We ate in Cagney's twice - boring, and you have to watch the clock to make sure you arrive at the appropriate times, so no.

Never saw the butler .. we always had dnd when the afternoon "snacks" came by... napping.

Never used the concierge - ate in the Garden Cafe every night except Chef's dinner.

Disembarkation only gained 15 minutes.

Embarkation was nice though... but it's too much money to pay for that one perk.

I'm glad you had the courage to post... I was thinking of it, but too chicken! You'll probably find lots of folks to agree with you. For our next cruise, with kids, planning on an aft balcony (I am addicted to aft) and an inside for the kids. ... it will be the same price we paid for just the suite this time, so we're content.

I think you said it best when you said, "Suites just aren't "me" ". Us either. Happy inside-ing.

You would love a Gulfstream G5 or a Challenger!

i usually book the 2 bedroom, i love the extra space for four of us. I work 2 jobs and life is very hectic for me. The haven area is truly heaven. Sorry, i don't mean to sound like a snob, but i don't have any other time to pamper myself.

nm.

Returned a few weeks ago from our Pearl cruise where we had booked a PH forward--first time in a suite and I didn't care for it (but DH did!). I think I like the small enclosed space of a regular cabin: cozier, safer. We felt like royalty but I kept thinking: "This isn't me!" Also, we spent a lot more time in our cabin (because it was so huge and comfortable) but less time exploring the ship and interacting with other passengers. Didn't feel like Cagney's was something special--more selection at the buffet. So next time around it's a plain ol' balcony for us members of the hoi polloi.

I am so sorry you did'n't enjoy your suite life while on the Pearl. DH and I haved sailed in inside staterooms and in Haven suites. We like the Haven while we sail on the Pearl. Particularly Room 14514 because it is not overly huge. Don't need the 2nd bedroom.

Cagney's isn't for everyone. I agree that after about the 3rd day it can be tedious to find something new and interesting. Many times we are apt to go with the pastry and fruit for breakfast rather than a hot meal.

Regardless, I hope the rest of your trip was enjoyable!

I'll be in my first NCL suite next month on the Star. Was in a "suite" once before on the Carnival Elation. Not really much difference on CCL. The primary reasons I booked a suite was:

1. Aft-facing location. Since I had an aft-wrap on the Conquest I realize the aft is where it's at for me!

2. Balcony size. Same reason as above. I never realized how much fun and how much one may utilize a nice-sized balcony until the Conquest cruise! The balcony was the best part of the whole cruise...

3. Had to try it once. Considering it would cost me $2000-$2500/wk for a condo on the beach in Destin, the suite price isn't any more considering food is included! I just had to give it a try once!

OP...I guess you now know that suite-life isn't for you... For all I know I may be right with you in less than a month!

The highest cabin level I've ever gone was an obstructed minisuite on the old NCL Crown - no balcony- only because I caught pricing at the time of a very low solo supplement. It was nice, but I had a terrible time getting out of the bathtub. Even if I could afford it nowadays, the bathtub thing puts me off (and I'm a lot less nimble now than I was then). I might be convinced to change my mind if I came across a really great solo price for a Sun minisuite. Otherwise, I don't think I'd get much use out of a suite, unless I was on a cruise with lots of sea days.

I don't understand why anyone would book a suite on a normal "Port-a-Day" cruise.

The nature of these cruises drive you out of the suite daily. Why not book a "room" instead of a "suite" if you are leaving for a port stop every day anyway?

I personally prefer repositioning cruises with many sea days. I get to enjoy the ship and the suite along with all of the perks.

On these cruises I would go crazy if I was in an inside cabin and felt I had to leave the room to "see" if it is nice outside or to just find fresh air.

The nice thing is that the options are available for all cruises and you get to choose what fits you best.

I have been on four NCL cruises - nos 1 and 4 were in penthouses and 2 and 3 were in balcony rooms. On our first cruise we were visited by the upgrade fairy - BTW this was our first ever cruise. We really did not know what to expect - but we did enjoy spending time there - as well as in the other parts of the ship (which was the Sky). Our second cruise was the same as the first only with the kids - balcony +inside and we spend more time out and about - not really enough room in the balcony for all 4 of us. 3rd cruise was the Pride of America in Hawaii - so port intensive we probably could have gone with an inside - but loved the view from our balcony. Our last cruise was on the Pearl (to AK like nos 1&2) this time we had my MIL so there was more cabin time spent catching up on family stuff - yes it was nice to have the extra room and we did stay in during Glacier Bay day as well as on Monday and Tuesday morning on the way to Juneau. We used the butler to deliver our breakfast a couple of times - I think we used him more on our first cruise than our last. I was temped to arrange for our dinner in Juneau to be delivered to the room as I knew we were going to have a late day - but was overridden by the DW and MIL - we ended up at the Blue Lagoon.

Will I book another suite - perhaps, but it will be cruise dependent - ie if I ever do a TA or Panama Canal or a cruise longer than 7 days (been thinking of the Quebec - Boston as a B2B). Europe is also on the long range radar.

To each their own - I am happy as long as I am on vacation and have a roof over my head and a bed to sleep in:D

I can take one or leave it. We have another one booked for 2015 (8202) but only because I wanted to try out the forward SG's on the Sun. I booked it 100% for the balcony because size of the cabin doesn't matter nor does any of the other perks. I usually look to see what the prices are and decide from there. We too prefer the buffet for breakfast because the food was hotter and the selection was better.

I have never stayed in a suite. I did have a fabulous aft balcony wraparound cabin on the Carnival Glory last summer, which was amazing. I don't really care about having the extra cabin space, but having a balcony large enough to fit several chaise loungers is fabulous! My next cruise is on NCL Dawn this summer and we have a BD balcony guarantee-crossing my fingers for an upgrade :)

We had one of those aft wraps on the Valor in February. We had room for all of our family for sailaways from each port. We loved that cabin and if I sail CCL again I'll go for the same thing.

Archived