How to 'bump' a thread?

kdinkus1

How does a thread continuely get 'bumped' up to the beginning again? Does it stop after a certain amount of days or answers? I have been writing on the Roll Call board with other members for a cruise in December and now it never seems to be looked at. I find it hard to believe that everyone just stopped (!) because we were all trying to find a time and place to meet on the ship, etc.. Any ideas? Thanks...

When a new post is added to the thread, it gets "bumped" to the top. Sometimes, people will add an entry simply for that purpose. That way it stays near the top, visible, and keeps it active.

A thread gets bumped up to the top of the list every time a new reply is posted, simple as that. It's also possible to post a reply that just says "Bump" for its message, to get your thread to the top again. I think the problem is that there are so many threads in every category and so many posts that it doesn't take long for a thread to get on page 3 or even beyond, and then people just don't see it. So don't hesitate to bump it up!!

When a new post is added to the thread, it gets "bumped" to the top. Sometimes, people will add an entry simply for that purpose. That way it stays near the top, visible, and keeps it active.
Please do NOT add posts to threads just to bump them to the top.

First, it's considered to be bad manners on the Internet, because it suggests that that thread is somehow more important than the other threads which are by definition actually being read and posted to by more people than the one you're thinking of bumping. All threads are readily capable of being located using the search function - that's what it's there for, after all.

Second, but for much the same reason, CC guidelines specifically say:-

Please do not manipulate postings on the boards by "bumping" topics to the top of the forum. Members will assume something of value has been posted, only to find that the newest posting is nothing more than a "bump post". This only wastes everyone's time.
Needless to say, it also wastes precious server resources - and we all know how close to the edge CC sometimes lives already without the capacity being wasted by bumping posts.

How does a thread continuely get 'bumped' up to the beginning again? Does it stop after a certain amount of days or answers? I have been writing on the Roll Call board with other members for a cruise in December and now it never seems to be looked at. I find it hard to believe that everyone just stopped (!) because we were all trying to find a time and place to meet on the ship, etc.. Any ideas? Thanks...

The thread goes to the front by being responded to. Keep trying, not eveyone is booked yet. Some feel one answer is enough, so that limits your ability to be found.

Archived