Fishing on Chilkoot Lake in early July

emeltee

There is an excursion offered through Princess in Skagway. Would this be a good place to go fishing? My brother is interested in fishing somewhere on our cruise. He's not really picky in terms of what or where. His only chances are Skagway on the 9th or Juneau on the 10th. Ketchikan is out since he's planning a different excursion (I know Ketchikan is the most ideal port for fishing, but he really wants to do the Deadliest Catch excursion.)

Here is the Princess excursion details:

Your adventure begins at the pier with a short drive to the terminal where you'll board a high-speed catamaran and take a scenic cruise along North America's longest and deepest fjord to Haines. Enjoy spectacular views of waterfalls and ice-sculpted peaks as your guide provides informative commentary and points out marine wildlife.

From Haines, enjoy a scenic 30-minute drive to Chilkoot Lake, one of the most picturesque locations in southeast Alaska. Your fishing expedition begins aboard a comfortable, 28-foot pontoon boat. Depending on the season, several varieties of wild salmon and Dolly Varden are the likely catches.

Spin cast rod/reel, tackle, rain gear and snacks (soft drinks, bottled water, granola bars, candy bars, nuts, cheese and crackers) are provided. Every fisherman is in control of his or her own spin-cast rod and reel. There is a maximum of six guests per boat and the tour operator is the only fishing company on the lake. Your experienced guide assists with everything from new fishing methods to untangling your lines while you relax and absorb the grandeur of the surrounding snow-clad mountains. Fishing is conducted on a catch-and-release basis.

They must be walking with the "30 minute" reference they claim it will take to get to Chilkoot lake, it's a 10/15 minute slow drive. :)

Check the fishing charts. Haines is known to have one of the latest salmon runs. "Lake" salmon is going to be pretty uneatable. I would suggest he look at Juneau.

They must be walking with the "30 minute" reference they claim it will take to get to Chilkoot lake, it's a 10/15 minute slow drive. :)

Check the fishing charts. Haines is known to have one of the latest salmon runs. "Lake" salmon is going to be pretty uneatable. I would suggest he look at Juneau.

It's catch and release. So no worries on how the fish taste. :)

Each person gets their own rod vs other non-chartered excursions where you take turns at the rod.

Can anyone provide a link for the fishing chart for Chilkoot Lake? I'm having trouble finding what I need.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=ByAreaSoutheastHainesSkagway.fishingInfo#/harvest

And check the 2 PDF files for info; 'fishing spots' is about 20 pages.

You could also post to the Haines forum on Tripadvisor to get info from a local. I don't know if the town of haines web site gets that specific, but check there.

Archived