Pre-paid drink package on RCCL

I saw this package a couple weeks ago after surfing RCCL's site for fun things to do and just learn about the ship and cruise line.

I ran the numbers for my and DH's upcoming cruise this fall. At $55/person/day, for 7 days, that would be $770, gratuities are included. Given drinks that we drink (high-end Scotches, Whiskeys, and wines--neither of us like mixed froufrou drinks and we're not big on beer) are usually $12+ per order/drink each and I like to have paired wine flights with dinner, we decided that this would be like an insurance policy for us to not overspend or need limit ourselves in terms of keeping costs down to not get the "Wow I/we spent THAT much??" shock at the end of the trip. We limited ourselves on our last cruise (1/2012) so we wouldn't end up with a huge bill at the end because as you all know that your sign & sail card is a bit TOO convenient to use and can get you in trouble quickly. We ended up with just under $900 for a final bill, with MOST of that being alcohol.

DH is a Program Manager for a major financial services company (15+ years) and even ran the numbers past his boss (for fun and his boss is really nice about giving second looks at stuff like this) who is higher up with a bit more experience. He said to buy it is a no-brainer for us. Even though we may not drink $55 worth of alcohol every day, this way we are guaranteed to not spend more than that after gratuities are added in should we choose to have a drink or two more at dinner or in one of the entertainment areas.

We plan on pre-paying for it before we go so we don't have it on our bill at the end of the cruise and leave room on our credit cards for fun stuff in-port.

While I see people trying to sneak alcohol on in various creative ways, that looks like too much work and effort for me and DH. I don't want to work that hard for something I really don't need that badly to have fun.

Just be sure the things you will drink are included. I am not familiar with the specifics of the RCCL package, but some limit to lower priced alcohol and wine.

There are two packages. One is $45 and the other is $55 (premium)

From RC's site:

Pay one set price and enjoy nearly our entire selection of liquors, beers and wines, plus non-alcoholic beverages.†

Includes: Well, call and premium cocktails, frozen drinks, beers, house wines by the glass, non-alcoholic cocktails, fountain sodas and juices.

Prices subject to change without notice. Packages include server gratuities, cannot be shared, are not transferable and must be purchased for all guests 21 years old or older sailing in the same stateroom. When ordering a beverage selection onboard, you must present your SeaPass card bearing the package sticker to your server. Package does not include room service or in-stateroom purchases, specialty coffee, mini bar items, canned sodas, bottled water / juice and souvenir glassware, specialty beers as listed on bar menus, or super premium category beverages. Package is subject to the terms of Royal Caribbean International's Alcohol Policy.

Not included are Super-premium drink examples such as Dom Perignon and upper-scale cognacs like Remy Martin Louis XIII and Scotches/Whiskeys aged more than 15 years.

Included are ones like Glenmorangie, Glenfidditch, Macallan, Jamison, various proseccos and mid-range champagnes and sparkling wines, etc. We have expensive taste but no need to drink Louis XIII or Dom Perignon. Macallan and Glenfidditch, and Remy VSOP are just fine.

Although from the menu photos I found from someone who went in 2009, (assuming prices haven't gone much higher) a 1oz pour is $77.50 (probably in the $80+ range now). Any of the restaurants in my area that serve that it is minimum $160 per 1oz, the highest I have seen it is $225 at Pittsburgh Blue. At less than $100 on the ship, I am guessing DH and I will be trying it, even though it isn't included in the package price. We sell cigars that are actually infused with it, so it would be fun to smoke one on the balcony with a sip of that stuff.

• 5 months later...

If we buy the beverage package, does that mean we have to go to one of the lounges/bars, etc. each time we want a drink or glass of wine or beer? That seems pretty inconvenient to me, especially if we are enjoying our balcony. and I don't really see a clear description of "unlimited". Does that mean I can order 5 glasses of wine during the day????

If anybody could clarify this for me, I would surely appreciate it.

We are going on our first RCCL cruise in December, and are contemplating this drink package ourselves. I am a wine drinker, with the occasional mixed drink here and there, and my husband is a Jack & Coke, beer kind of guy. In the past, he has been a "smuggler" with the rum runner flasks on Carnival and Norwegian, but, it stresses me out! I just wish that one person per cabin could buy this package, as I think you can bring a couple bottles of wine on board, and that would be enough for me! I am still trying to "justify" the cost. Has anyone done this package, and have any input?

We are going on our first RCCL cruise in December, and are contemplating this drink package ourselves. I am a wine drinker, with the occasional mixed drink here and there, and my husband is a Jack & Coke, beer kind of guy. In the past, he has been a "smuggler" with the rum runner flasks on Carnival and Norwegian, but, it stresses me out! I just wish that one person per cabin could buy this package, as I think you can bring a couple bottles of wine on board, and that would be enough for me! I am still trying to "justify" the cost. Has anyone done this package, and have any input?

I don't know much about the other lines, but have read a ton about it for RCCL. I WILL be purchasing it for my cruise in November. I just want to enjoy my vacation and not worry about drinking something if I don't like it. I'm going to try a lot of new things my next cruise without any worries of a huge extra bill.

You might find this link useful with a pretty current RCCL bar menu that I got the link from another thread (The last page has a list of many things included in the drink package): http://www.bluevine.net/RoyalCaribbeanBeverageMenu.pdf

If getting the higher priced items on the menu, you only need to drink 5/day to be ahead. The $55/day INCLUDES the tips. The drink prices on the menu are BEFORE the 18% tips are added each time. I will still plan to bring a bunch of $1 bills for extra tipping. I like VIP service and never have problems, since they learn quickly that I take care of them like they take care of me.

If we buy the beverage package, does that mean we have to go to one of the lounges/bars, etc. each time we want a drink or glass of wine or beer? That seems pretty inconvenient to me, especially if we are enjoying our balcony. and I don't really see a clear description of "unlimited". Does that mean I can order 5 glasses of wine during the day????

If anybody could clarify this for me, I would surely appreciate it.

There is NOT a drink limit per day under the RCCL package. However, they only serve 1 drink at a time (at least they are only supposed to serve 1 at a time).

I don't know much about the other lines, but have read a ton about it for RCCL. I WILL be purchasing it for my cruise in November. I just want to enjoy my vacation and not worry about drinking something if I don't like it. I'm going to try a lot of new things my next cruise without any worries of a huge extra bill.

You might find this link useful with a pretty current RCCL bar menu that I got the link from another thread (The last page has a list of many things included in the drink package): http://www.bluevine.net/RoyalCaribbeanBeverageMenu.pdf

If getting the higher priced items on the menu, you only need to drink 5/day to be ahead. The $55/day INCLUDES the tips. The drink prices on the menu are BEFORE the 18% tips are added each time. I will still plan to bring a bunch of $1 bills for extra tipping. I like VIP service and never have problems, since they learn quickly that I take care of them like they take care of me.

Thank you for the great information and especially the menu. You have a great point about trying new things. I never thought about that, and isn't that what vacation is all about? :)

I'm planning a cruise for next year with two other couples for our anniversaries. (They are mere days apart.) As my husband doesn't drink at all, buying the premium drink package isn't an option. On our honeymoon cruise I bought a few cocktails and a couple bottles of wine. I would have liked to have had more cocktails, but was scared away by the price.

How possible is it for someone who has purchased the premium alcohol package to sneak beverages to me? I realize that we couldn't sit in a bar and pass drinks around, but it seems someone in my party could order me a drink and walk away with it....right? maybe? I'm talking like one maybe two a day.

I'm planning a cruise for next year with two other couples for our anniversaries. (They are mere days apart.) As my husband doesn't drink at all, buying the premium drink package isn't an option. On our honeymoon cruise I bought a few cocktails and a couple bottles of wine. I would have liked to have had more cocktails, but was scared away by the price.

How possible is it for someone who has purchased the premium alcohol package to sneak beverages to me? I realize that we couldn't sit in a bar and pass drinks around, but it seems someone in my party could order me a drink and walk away with it....right? maybe? I'm talking like one maybe two a day.

If caught your friend could have his/her packaged taken away, with no refunds.

We sell cigars that are actually infused with it, so it would be fun to smoke one on the balcony with a sip of that stuff.

No cruise line permits cigar smoking on a balcony. Royal Caribbean no longer allows smoking of any type on its balconies.

Smoking is not permitted inside any stateroom and any stateroom balcony. This applies to all stateroom categories onboard. If a guest is in violation of this stateroom policy, a cleaning fee of $250 USD will be applied to their SeaPass® account and may be subject to further action pursuant to the "Consequences Section" of the Guest Conduct Policy.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=3101&faqSubjectId=333&faqType=faq

There are two packages. One is $45 and the other is $55 (premium)

From RC's site:

Not included are Super-premium drink examples such as Dom Perignon and upper-scale cognacs like Remy Martin Louis XIII and Scotches/Whiskeys aged more than 15 years.

Included are ones like Glenmorangie, Glenfidditch, Macallan, Jamison, various proseccos and mid-range champagnes and sparkling wines, etc. We have expensive taste but no need to drink Louis XIII or Dom Perignon. Macallan and Glenfidditch, and Remy VSOP are just fine.

Although from the menu photos I found from someone who went in 2009, (assuming prices haven't gone much higher) a 1oz pour is $77.50 (probably in the $80+ range now). Any of the restaurants in my area that serve that it is minimum $160 per 1oz, the highest I have seen it is $225 at Pittsburgh Blue. At less than $100 on the ship, I am guessing DH and I will be trying it, even though it isn't included in the package price. We sell cigars that are actually infused with it, so it would be fun to smoke one on the balcony with a sip of that stuff.

That has to be one incredible cigar!!!

We did it on a 10 night cruise and found it was good to know what we had to pay but wouldn't do it again. PL likes beers, mixed drinks (run & coke), soft drinks and the very occasional cocktail or wine. I like cocktails, wine and vodka. It was good throughout the earlier part of day to get soft drinks and the bar staff were good about that.

Difficulties were around the fact you could only have house wines which is disappointing but I was happy to drink cocktails. However the cocktail menu is made with lots of not included spirits so constantly had to request they make it with some other brand; it's a cocktail why they are making it with top shelf spirites (eg tequila) is beyond me.

Easy to order mixed drinks, once asked "is absolut ok?", very happy because in most bars/pubs in Sydney you wouldn't get that. In Australia Absolut is considered a premium spirit, not quite "prestige" but not "cheap".

It was the first time it was on the ship we cruised on and some bar staff were good about it, others seemed a bit sullen/put out by it. I think this has to do with missing out on the 15% gratuity.

We wouldn't do it again because we felt the need to get the value out of our $55/day each which means about 5-10 drinks a day depending on what you are having. Bit difficult for me to pull off, not so bad for PL.

Archived