No Frills for 2014 (UK)

Norfolk Brit

Interesting about the shuttle buses. They are normally provided by the Chamber of Commerce of the city that is being visited or the Port authority for safety reasons, both at no cost whatsoever to the cruise line so this is another little moneygrubbing scheme from them. The other lines that currently do this say that the charge is to cover administrative costs, I believe that this means the cost of having someone from the crew standing on the dockside. What absolute tosh.

I expect it's to cover the cost of having a crew member lurking about asking passengers if they're "frills or no-frills", before flogging the new Getaway underclass a ticket.

Mary

"Underclass" is right. That article makes it clear that the no-frills getaway fare is designed to be discouraging. We joke about steerage, but the message I'm getting is that if you don't want to be treated like something that came up from the bilges, you had better make your booking at one of the higher fare schedules, like Vantage.

They obviously think we came down with the last shower. Last year our getaway fare meant we paid in full at time of booking, could not select our cabin number and no further paperwork was issued by agent after initial confirmation. Yes, the shuttle bus aspect is a new thing. I don't think the left hand knows what the right hand is doing. Perhaps they should start charging for the gel to make a few more $$.

Am I misunderstanding or does it also say that those choosing a getaway fare will not be able to choose their dining options, which you can at the moment. That could be a pain, but not enough to make me want to pay so much more to get the vantage fare.

What would happen if you said you would rather walk than pay for a shuttle bus when the ship is docked inside a commercial dock? Would they refuse to let you off unless you went on the bus and paid?

Sarah

Am I misunderstanding or does it also say that those choosing a getaway fare will not be able to choose their dining options, which you can at the moment. That could be a pain, but not enough to make me want to pay so much more to get the vantage fare.

What would happen if you said you would rather walk than pay for a shuttle bus when the ship is docked inside a commercial dock? Would they refuse to let you off unless you went on the bus and paid?

Sarah

Interesting question! Letting you walk off on your own is a security risk, and you'd probably be stopped somewhere along the way. And you might not be allowed back onto the port property if you were able to leave.

I remember QE2 being docked at the back of beyond in Rotterdam, a 40-minute shuttle ride from the city. Lines to catch the shuttle back to the ship were very long. But we couldn't take a taxi because we had no idea how to tell the driver where we were--the port was a rabbit warren of side roads! Plus, we didn't know if a taxi would be allowed onto the port property. So we stood in line for the bus. (They weren't charging for the bus back then. It was supplied by the local tourism office.)

Am I misunderstanding or does it also say that those choosing a getaway fare will not be able to choose their dining options, which you can at the moment.

Sarah

Like this year, I think they are deliberately trying to infer that you won't get the dining time you want on Getaway, whereas with Vantage you will. Someone more cynical than moi may believe that this is an attempt to encourage better take up of the more expensive Vantage fares.

I've always had my requested dining time plus table for two on Getaways; however, for all I know, the 2014 Getaway underclass may be dining at 2am in the public lavatories.

Mary:)

Like this year, I think they are deliberately trying to infer that you won't get the dining time you want on Getaway, whereas with Vantage you will. Someone more cynical than moi may believe that this is an attempt to encourage better take up of the more expensive Vantage fares.

I've always had my requested dining time plus table for two on Getaways; however, for all I know, the 2014 Getaway underclass may be dining at 2am in the public lavatories.

Perhaps those booking Getaway fares on QM2 will be confirmed with a table for Royal Dining at the Court of the King! That alone would make it worth booking. :rolleyes:

If the Port won't allow foot traffic within their walls they will have to provide gratis transportation as they currently do.

Yes that is correct, often You will be dropped off outside the dock gate which may leave a long walk to town.

David.

I was certainly asked for my dining option preferences when I booked a getaway fare this year.

Another thought - If they are going to charge the getaway underclass for shuttles, etc, then they are going to have to mark them out somehow. Prehaps with a different cruise card or something so that they can collect the extra fares etc.:eek:

Sarah

I was certainly asked for my dining option preferences when I booked a getaway fare this year.

Another thought - If they are going to charge the getaway underclass for shuttles, etc, then they are going to have to mark them out somehow. Prehaps with a different cruise card or something so that they can collect the extra fares etc.:eek:

Sarah

All they need to do is make boarding of busses by ticket only. These could be in your cabin on boarding the ship.

David.

Archived