What do the ships do for X-Mas??

I was on NCL Majesty December 18-25 (obviously including Christmas Eve) this past year.

They actually did not a lot. There was no special dinner Friday night (the 24th) However, that night did become an unofficial formal night.

The Chef's staff made a bunch of HUGE gingerbread houses that were placed around the ship.

They did have a thrown-together show on the evening of the 24th were different crew members did some Christmas songs. Some of the kitchen staff did "Christmas Time" by Eric Clapton, a Romanian girl sang a Romanian song, etc.

The funniest thng was they brought a bunch of kids up on stage and the Captain read the Night Before Chirstmas. He was Finnish and kept pronouncing "T'was" as "tu-was" (two Syllables)

They also had a Christmas Carol sing along in the main lobby with the show cast.

But other than that there was not much different than usual except the baggage handlers when we left (Chirstmas Day) had thier hands out (for a tip) a bit more than usual.

Take xmas wrapping paper and ribbon to wrap your cabin door. Looked cool on the xmas cruise we did last year. Also makes it easy for your kids to find your cabin.

The trees and decorations looked great, but not really a lot of special xmas events.

Snooze

We were on the Disney Wonder last year for a 3 night cruise including New Year's Eve. The ship was absolutely gorgeous! Looking beautiful with Christmas decorations everywhere. They put on a magnificent party on Dec. 31st. We were in Nassau and we were able to see the fireworks from Atlantis. This year we'll be on the Majesty of the Seas , RCI for the same days.Let's see if they do a good job like Disney did.

I was on the Monarch last year and I thought they did alot. The ship was beautiful with lots of Christmas trees!! We went to a special Christmas show and went to midnight mass. They had a couple different services I know on Christmas day. Santa arrived by speedboat which was very cool. The kids on the ship loved it. We also got a special gift one per cabin. It is a really nice rolling piece of luggage. It looks like a tote bag almost. It also had a small big inside it. They did have a special dinner for Christmas. I know this because I was on the ship two weeks later. This is a good year for a three day again since it lands on the weekend.

How early do Royal Caribbean ships usually decorate for Christmas? DH and I are booked on the 12/3 sailing of the Grandeur this year, and we hadn't even thought about this. Can we look forward to a little added bonus of some nice decorations and/or Christmas lights? Or are we sailing just a little too early?

We sailed the Norwegian Dawn from New York to the Caribbean during December. It was wonderful seeing NY and the Statue of Liberty during the holiday season. I noticed there was a Hannukah service as well as a Catholic Service every day on the ship. Decorations were wonderful. Xmas carols in the champagne bar area were great too.

our prior 2 cruises began on dec. 26th. the ships were decorated to the hilt. on the last cruise (jewel '04) we were on went through new years. the jewel has a 12 story atrium. at around 11:30 p.m. anyone who could still stand was there looking down into the center. there was a wide screen suspended from above and the countdown began at 1 minute. at midnight everyone cheered and 100's of balloons dropped from netting on the ceiling. it was the closest thing to being in new york's times square. it was awesome. unfortunately, people will be people and several people had 10 too many and were sick all ovet the place. i felt very badly for the crew who had to deal with it. this year we will be onboard the serenade from dec. 24th -31st. we will actually be on the ship for christmas and in puerto rico for new years. i can't wait.

We are going on the 5 night Western Caribbean cruise that leaves X-Mas Eve. Does the ship do anything for X-Mas and also for Hanukkah? We are going with kids under 12.

Thanks!

I was on the vision last year on Christmas. The ship was beautiful with lots of Christmas trees!! We went to a special Christmas show . we had Santa give presents to all the kids . we got a real nice piece of luggage, A tote bag . We had a real special dinner for Christmas. and Cptn George read a nice Christmas poem at Dinner.

We were on the Nordic Empress (now the Empress of the Seas) 1994 Christmas cruise. They took the window washing equipment that cleaned the centrum glass area around the elevators and decorated it like Santa's sleigh. They raised it to the very top of the centrum. Santa got in and descended down wishing all the merriest of Christmas's! Of course, all this was previously advertised, "Come see Santa arrive on the Nordic Empress, etc." It truly was a lot of fun.

our prior 2 cruises began on dec. 26th. the ships were decorated to the hilt. on the last cruise (jewel '04) we were on went through new years. the jewel has a 12 story atrium. at around 11:30 p.m. anyone who could still stand was there looking down into the center. there was a wide screen suspended from above and the countdown began at 1 minute. at midnight everyone cheered and 100's of balloons dropped from netting on the ceiling. it was the closest thing to being in new york's times square. it was awesome. unfortunately, people will be people and several people had 10 too many and were sick all ovet the place. i felt very badly for the crew who had to deal with it. this year we will be onboard the serenade from dec. 24th -31st. we will actually be on the ship for christmas and in puerto rico for new years. i can't wait.

thanks for the info cruz...i'm looking forward to my upcoming new year's eve cruise.

Ships generally start decorating after Thanksgiving. Isn't there an article on this subject somewhere on Cruise Critic?

We're on the Mariner on Thanksgiving - will be IN Grand Cayman on Thanksgiving Day. Maybe we'll catch the very beginning of the decorations.

I can't WAIT to cruise over a holiday. We almost did a New Years on the Enchantment. Had it booked and everything when my Mom couldn't get it off, so we changed to Thanksgiving. Enchantment was a 5 day, Mariner is a 7 day, and they ended up being the same price. So although we're going to miss out on all the beautiful decorations and lively New Years celebrations, we're going as a family and I don't have to make Turkey for 65 family members this year! WOOHOO!

Archived