Children in the steakhouse

hayesktrm

Age restrictions in the steakhouse?  

582 members have voted

1. 1. Age restrictions in the steakhouse?

• No age restrictions, everyone is welcome
    • No babies under 2
    • Only 12 and older allowed
    • Only 16 and older allowed

I didn't vote because I don't like the options...I think the restrictions should be not younger than 5 years old. And it's not that I don't like kids...I do. I like them enough to know that a child under five has zero interest in sitting at a dining room table for three hours in a high chair or booster seat and being quiet. And I honestly do not believe anyone who tries to tell me otherwise. You may want to think that your two year old LOVED being in the steakhouse...but I guarantee you that two year old would have been far happier with a simple half hour meal and two and a half hours playing with you by the kiddie pool. Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

Over 5, then I think a parent would hopefully know their child enough to know if they could handle it...some could, some could not. Teenagers? Absolutely...they should take every advantage to enjoy a fine meal.

Yes, this means some parents might not have the ability to eat at the Steakhouse because their child is too young. Guess what? When you decided you were going to have a child, you are accepting that there are going to be times when you are going to have to act in the best interest of the child, even if it cramps your style a little bit. This would be one of those times.

:) LIKE

:rolleyes:

And it is because you never know if they are going to behave or not. So it is the anticipation that sets you on edge right from the start.

Really no different than any other pax...

never know if they are nice or an "A" double

snake sound..... until it's too late. :p

I have mixed feelings, though I voted for 12+. My granddaughter has been dining out like a little princess since she was born. No problems, great tolerance for extended "fancy" dining. She's now 10. We took her and her parents to an elegant Easter brunch when she was about 4, and SHE was the one giving the stink-eye to the young man (11 or so) at the next table who was playing a video game and getting antsy.

My grandson, now, is a completely different story. He's 5 and unless we're going someplace entertaining (hibachi works pretty well) or where he can "visit" with each of us at the table without disrupting everyone, it's just not happening. No elegant dining experience for him, probably for quite some time. And his parents are well aware of that. They would send him to the moon before inflicting him on the patrons in a nice "date-night" restaurant. He's not horrible, just active. Plus, his palate leans heavily toward the pizza/mac & cheese level. (His sister has been eating sushi, steak and more exotic fare since she could eat solid food and would much more appreciate the offerings).

It's not like there are no other places to dine on any given cruise ship. I'm sure even for my fancy-pants granddaughter, the MDR would be plenty elegant enough.

We took out 9 month old to Nick and Nora's 2 times last cruise and after 1hr she needed a few walks outside but the Girls working loved her and wanted to be our Nanny's and even brought her around...

I have a Cruise planned on the Splendor and Expect them to allow her and if she acts up one of us will take her outside until she clams down.. We always Get grand suites and expect a first class ship and staff with Zero Issues..

Even if they don't eat off the menu.....cover charge $35 per person to be in the Steakhouse, regardless of age.

Its only $35 a person. I dont know where you eat off the ships at home but We spend almost $200 for a couples dinner on a friday or sat.. I like the steak house's on the cruises But I feel the price is very cheap.. I do know food is free down stairs but I never had a bad meal or service up stairs...

• 4 weeks later...

I would welcome the concept of certain nights begin 'adults only' nights. The remaining nights begin 'family open' nights. That would be a great way for CCL to gather data (sales) as to which concept if preferred by the customer. Then go with that. Hard to beat data driven decisions.

JKrise

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I am a parent, however, I really do not like children. When babies or small children cry around me while I am trying to eat it upsets my stomach and causes me a great deal of anxiety. I think there are plenty of places in this world for children, however fancy dining and movie theaters are, in my opinion not suitable. There are baby sitting services available and people should either use them, or refrain from potentially ruining other people's experience. My vote is that the steakhouse be for 16 and up. I doubt any younger children would appreciate the experience and would just ruin the romantic ambiance. I would be very upset and disappointed if my steakhouse meal was disrupted by a crying baby. It really isn't fair to make a small child sit through such a long meal, nor is it fair to everyone else who are trying to enjoy a relaxing meal to endure it.

I have children myself, but I don't see anything wrong if there was an age restriction for the steakhouse. It's not like there aren't other dining options on the ship and you can eat steak in the MDR. 12 & over is good. Not uncommon in the Northeast where I live to see some restaurants with restrictions like this. People should use common sense and be courteous. I wouldn't bring a small baby to an alternative dining restaurant on a ship. They don't want to be there either - hence the crying.

QUOTE MrPete

That's not true. The charge is only if you have an entree.

--------------------------------------------------------------

That is the problem! If ALL were charged, parents would think twice before bringing a child would not enjoy the meal and being there.

Some school age children actually do enjoy being in a nice restaurant and having a great meal at a relaxed pace.

LuLu

~~~~

QUOTE MrPete

That's not true. The charge is only if you have an entree.

--------------------------------------------------------------

That is the problem! If ALL were charged, parents would think twice before bringing a child would not enjoy the meal and being there.

Some school age children actually do enjoy being in a nice restaurant and having a great meal at a relaxed pace.

LuLu

~~~~

And we did just that. We ordered her the porterhouse, and she's been a steak lover ever since.

I have taken my kids even when they were little to the steakhouse so I dont see a problem with that. But as soon as there are any unessesary noises, or crying, I leave. I have to respect that others want to enjoy their meals, plus, I will not be comfortable leaving a crying baby to cry anyway. I think that there shoukd b3 a disclaimer that the steakhouse reserves the right to ask a patron to leave, which should be communicated before a reservation is made.

Archived