Children in the steakhouse

hayesktrm

Age restrictions in the steakhouse?  

582 members have voted

1. 1. Age restrictions in the steakhouse?

• No age restrictions, everyone is welcome
    • No babies under 2
    • Only 12 and older allowed
    • Only 16 and older allowed

I just saw a post on Facebook from John Heald stating a man was upset because he went for a nice dinner at the steakhouse and there was a baby crying and nothing was done. So, would you have a minimum age requirement? Disney had that when we cruised with them and it was wonderful. I would not be happy to pay $35/pp and have to listen to that. IMHO, that is no place for a small baby.

I think there should be an age requirement. $35 per person is a good amount of $$$ after paying for the cruise too and I would love it if I didn't have to listen to screaming babies. That being said, I wouldn't be bothered if there were children in there and if they got out of hand if the parents corrected the situation. I've been that parent before and I've always left if my child was crying / acting up. I do respect others wishes to dine in peace.

1 baby with parents that don't know what to do with a crying baby in a restaurant certainly should not set policy.

And the restaurant manager should have had the cajones to pack their meal and send them on their way.

I just saw a post on Facebook from John Heald stating a man was upset because he went for a nice dinner at the steakhouse and there was a baby crying and nothing was done. So, would you have a minimum age requirement? Disney had that when we cruised with them and it was wonderful. I would not be happy to pay $35/pp and have to listen to that. IMHO, that is no place for a small baby.

Oh, man, that would frost my cornflakes. I'd glower at the offending parents until someone had the decency to take the child outside to calm down.

:mad:

I completely agree that Carnival should have asked the parents to take the child out, but why would you ever take a baby there in the first place? It's more than a 2 hour meal. What baby would enjoy sitting for that long? I don't mind at all when they are in the MDR...they have every right to be there and most of the time parents have taken their babies out when they have acted up...but to pay for a nice meal with that kind of ambiance? I'd be upset.

If parents not smart enough to remove their disruptive kid they should be asked to leave.

Some kids can handle the experience some cannot.

We took our one year old grandson last year and he was ok for first 90 or so minutes and when he got bored took turns taking him for walks and finally after about 2 hours son in law took him to bed.

Fancy steak restaurants is no place for babies or anyone under 16. Nobody who is going to spend $$$ wants to hear a baby crying or be around children acting like goats. There is the Lido buffet where they can eat or other places besides the steakhouse.

If I had been in that man's place I would have said something to a Carnival employee at the time to at least ask the parent to take the child out until they stopped crying.

1 baby with parents that don't know what to do with a crying baby in a restaurant certainly should not set policy.

And the restaurant manager should have had the cajones to pack their meal and send them on their way.

No restaurant manager/employee (on land or sea) should be held responsible for a parent(s) who refuse to deal with their children when they get out of hand or are disrputive to others in any way, particularly in this setting. IMHO all that does is set the stage for the manager to get fussed out by the parent(s) & that's a lose/lose situation for any employee. Having watched parents sit there & ignore it while their own kid(s) scream their head off/act out like it's not really happening, I'm not sure how such a situation can be rectified except to set an age limit.

Flame on if you must.

No restaurant manager/employee (on land or sea) should be held responsible for a parent(s) who refuse to deal with their children when they get out of hand or are disrputive to others in any way, particularly in this setting. IMHO all that does is set the stage for the manager to get fussed out by the parent(s) & that's a lose/lose situation for any employee. Having watched parents sit there & ignore it while their own kid(s) scream their head off/act out like it's not really happening, I'm not sure how such a situation can be rectified except to set an age limit.

Flame on if you must.

No?

I am speaking from visual experience.

Flame on if you must.

Sorry - but that is part of the manager's job - to make sure ALL customers are enjoying their meals. If the manager did not do something of their own accord I would have asked to my server to have someone speak with the parents.

100% correct MrPete! This was a sign of a poorly trained manager.

From what I read on FB, he did go to Carnival and asked them to say something...they didn't. He then was so frustrated he said something to the parents (probably not smart, but it's frustrating) and they did nothing!

Also, the steakhouse isn't that big so moving tables probably wouldn't do that much good.

I mean, really people, you can't handle leaving your child for a few hours to reconnect with your spouse/significant other? Flame away!!

Fancy steak restaurants is no place for babies or anyone under 16. Nobody who is going to spend $$$ wants to hear a baby crying or be around children acting like goats. There is the Lido buffet where they can eat or other places besides the steakhouse.

If I had been in that man's place I would have said something to a Carnival employee at the time to at least ask the parent to take the child out until they stopped crying.

Under 16? Really? Just because they're under 16 doesn't mean they will act like "goats". The vast majority of children above toddler age have the ability to sit through dinner like a human being. Did yours not (if you have kids)? Did YOU not? I cannot imagine.

This sort of thing should be handled as a one-off. To put a policy in place to keep certain people out based on what some will do is ridiculous. To put a policy in place to keep certain people out, whether adult or child, who behave in ways that interrupt and interfere with others' dining experiences is completely sensible.

By the way, the man did approach the Carnival staff and they did nothing. They also approached the other passengers personally and they didn't leave.

From what I read on FB, he did go to Carnival and asked them to say something...they didn't. He then was so frustrated he said something to the parents (probably not smart, but it's frustrating) and they did nothing!

Also, the steakhouse isn't that big so moving tables probably wouldn't do that much good.

I mean, really people, you can't handle leaving your child for a few hours to reconnect with your spouse/significant other? Flame away!!

Nope. Never took a family vacation and then decided I needed to all of a sudden need to reconnect.

DD's first steakhouse experience was at the age of 6.

I don t agree with a policy, not all parents have the luxury to leave their kids alone. If I was Carnival, I would allow the option of take out to enjoy the food. That way parents with kids and can t leave them alone for specific reasons can still experience the meal. I am a parent, I would feel unfair if I am not allowed to ANY restaurant because I have young kids, but I definitely would do something about my kids not behaving.

It's the managers responsibility to handle the situation. Either one of the parents takes the baby away or the manager packs them all up to eat elesewhere. Now my wife and I were trying to eat in the steakhouse when a group of 20 and 30 somethings(drunk) were yell talking where the whole restaurant heard, screeching laughs, obnoxious as can be and the manager gave them the boot. Unfortunately you didn't have a category for obnoxious loud adults.

Absolutely there should not be a ban on kids at the steakhouse. Does Ruth's Criss ban kids? NO! Carnivals steakhouse is certainly no fancier than Ruth's Criss. Geez people...treating the Carnival steakhouse like its dining with the queen.

I always think back to the Miracle where we were dining - there was the family from hell - kids screaming - running into wait staff etc. 4 tables asked for their meals to be delivered to their cabins and told no and they said either the family is evicted or they WOULD dine in their cabins. family was asked to leave and final words from mother was "we paid for our vacation too" I will not even say what went on after that - needless to say I never saw that family anywhere after that and the dining room was back to where it should have been. I have seen many well behaved children (and adults) in the Steak House but parents just have to be prepared to leave with child if they cannot handle it - it is a long dining experience - hell, I get bored at times.

So all kids under 16 act like goats?

I would rather spend my dinner with a whole room full of those so-called "goats" than have to share my table with an adult with a stick up his ***!

While a non stop crying baby can be annoying, it happens. And yes, the parents should have had the good sense to remove the baby from the restaurant. BUT we weren't there to hear how loud the baby was or for how long he or she was actually crying. AND John Heald's fb page is famous for people griping to get something for nothing.

How do we even know this happened the way this guy says it did?

Have you read the things people complain about to get refunds?

No kids under 16? Please! I've seen lots of adults who act way worse than kids under 16.

BTW, Carnival is a FAMILY cruiseline and a $35. steak house isn't exactly the Ritz.

Archived