Children in the steakhouse

hayesktrm

Age restrictions in the steakhouse?  

582 members have voted

1. 1. Age restrictions in the steakhouse?

• No age restrictions, everyone is welcome
    • No babies under 2
    • Only 12 and older allowed
    • Only 16 and older allowed

Mother of 4 kids here. Babies cry, kids act up, but WHY do people feel it's the "kids" that are a problem? Wake up - it's the parents who sit there ignoring an issue ... we all know those type of parents, we've seen them too. Bottom line - majority of parents know in a situation like that, remove the child.

Not sure this is any worse though then seeing / hearing / or being near a stumbling drunk adult.

And I vote for no age restriction - IF we're going to have certain standards for kids, we need to start at the adult level. And btw, my "kids" are grown now, but I always had taken them into such places (and removed them if needed).

Good for you

Children should not be in there, period. If I paid a cover for a meal and was seated with or near a child after I went out of my way to secure childcare then I would be ticked. It has nothing to do with wether they are well behaved or not. When my child is not with me and I am spending time with my husband, the last thing I want to hear is someone elses child. There is nothing wrong with wanting to have an adult conversation in an adult restuarant.

And yes I am a mother of a beautiful six year old who goes to camp or with someone else when I want to enjoy a nice meal with my husband. My child has never missed a meal or had to down grade her food on a cruise, she was always well fed and happy.

You have the right to be protected from screaming or acting up kids (or adults for that matter) and the manager should have done his job.

If a child is behaved he/she has every right in the world to be there.

Children should not be in there, period. If I paid a cover for a meal and was seated with or near a child after I went out of my way to secure childcare then I would be ticked. It has nothing to do with wether they are well behaved or not. When my child is not with me and I am spending time with my husband, the last thing I want to hear is someone elses child. There is nothing wrong with wanting to have an adult conversation in an adult restuarant.

And yes I am a mother of a beautiful six year old who goes to camp or with someone else when I want to enjoy a nice meal with my husband. My child has never missed a meal or had to down grade her food on a cruise, she was always well fed and happy.

I personally think it's wonderful to see kids out with parents at a nice place. IF you really don't "want to hear someone elses child" then I suggest maybe dinner for 2 in your cabin. My DH/I have 4 kids all grown now and we always stop at a table to let the parents know what a pleasure it's been to see well behaved kids enjoying fine dining as a family.

I'm mom to 8 children who have all had sucessful fine dining experiences. I'm absolutely in agreement with the posters who have suggested that disruptive behavior be banned rather than a certain age demographic. My own children are as well behaved as I am diligent and respectful of others. After 21 years of purposefully observing other families I can say that the same holds true for all parents/children.

While diligence doesn't guarantee that your children will have stellar manners and behavior, being a respectful person does guarantee that you won't make other diners miserable. Why ? Because you don't think of yourself as the most important person in the room, who should be satisfied at the expense of someone else.

I don't hesitate to take my children anywhere that I go. I do so confidently because my children know what to expect from me and I from them. Went out for a fine meal last night in honor of my daughters 10th birthday. We received compliments from other patrons who would stop at our table on their way out. My kids aren't freaks.... they are just regular kids with parents who care. If we had policy banning entire age groups from various places due to inconsiderate behavior, we would have empty ships.

Wow! I am in shock over this. When you go out at home do you demand no one else bring their kids to a restaurant too? As long as the child is well behaved who cares if you can hear them? What if your voice annoys me and ruins my dining experience? That is the craziest thing I have heard on here. I totally agree about misbehaving or crying kids, but well behaved ones? Sounds to me like you should never eat out anywhere. How is a well behaved child at another table keeping you from having an adult conversation?

I understand that some people are offended because of this poll, but we as adults have a right to eat dinner in peace. Some parents are not responsible enough to train or teach their children how to act in public, so we end up having to put up with disruptive children during dinner. For one, I would not tolerate it. I taught my children how to act in public at a very early age, but to put them through a two-hour dinner with nothing to entertain them...any parent that would do that is asking for trouble. BTW, it's not fair to other patrons in the restaurant, but it's not fair to the children who are expected to sit through dinner for so long. I have no problem saying that an age restriction should be in place at a restaurant like that. But when I go to dinner at any restaurant, I expect to have a nice quiet dinner. Either I'm leaving or they are leaving, but something will be done.

I am on the fence here. I have taken my kids (now grown) to fancy resturants since they were born. I taught my kids how to behave. But I dont see many parents being parents anymore. They want to be "a friend" to the child and are afraid of hurting little Johnny's feelings by making him behave in public. I took my then 5 year old grand daughter to tea time on the Ecstasy and she behaved like a little princess. Now put that child in a steak house for 2 hours and I am sure, my little princess would turn into a frog! She would have problems setting still for that long and I would never subject her to it. Nor others around us. I think it should depend on the child but I am hard pressed to see any child younger then 10 who would have the maturity to set through that long of period. Hell I get bored after 30 minutes!

I think this falls back to the parents. They know their child better then anyone else. If the kido is being disruptive - remove the kid. I also think that the manager did a poor job when he didnt ask the parents to remove the kid or themselves if they had no where to take the child.

Only 16 and older was the option the OP put in the poll, that was the option I chose.

Some children are very well behaved, but some are not-

(For all the Sheldon's reading-"goat" was not meant in a literal sense, more as a joke):)

Most adults don't want to dine in a fine restaurant with babies and children.

**The family's with babies and children should be given an option of going either for lunch or have nights dedicated to family's and other nights for adults only.

Only 16 and older was the option the OP put in the poll, that was the option I chose.

Some children are very well behaved, but some are not-

(For all the Sheldon's reading-"goat" was not meant in a literal sense, more as a joke):)

Most adults don't want to dine in a fine restaurant with babies and children.

**The family's with babies and children should be given an option of going either for lunch or have nights dedicated to family's and other nights for adults only.

Substitute your last sentence with "Families with <insert ethnic group, handicap, the aged, or hair color>, you may see how wrong that sounds. Anyone with 35 GW's are welcome.

Unless your infant or toddler is a miracle child and never has a tantrum, I would avoid bringing them to the Steakhouse. At the very least be prepared to have to step out with the upset child.

Besides apparently having a miracle child, my DW has had more tantrums that I would care to recount.

I just saw a post on Facebook from John Heald stating a man was upset because he went for a nice dinner at the steakhouse and there was a baby crying and nothing was done. So, would you have a minimum age requirement? Disney had that when we cruised with them and it was wonderful. I would not be happy to pay $35/pp and have to listen to that. IMHO, that is no place for a small baby.

How about $35 for adults and $75 for each child under the age of 10. Sounds like something Carnival should look into, more "profit" for them - kinda like FTTF. I for one would not have put up with the crying and if the waiter didn't do something about it, I would. I may end up in the brig, but IMHO that's disturbing the peace hearing a child crying throughout a meal.:mad:

I have mixed feelings. A baby or child having a tantrum is a fact of life and one we all need to learn to live with. At the same token, I strongly feel that when it does happen, it's the parents' responsibility to take action and put a stop to it immediately. If that's not possible, they should understand that it's impacting others and leave so that those around them can enjoy their meal/movie/show/etc... I never blame the child for their behavior, but you can bet I put full responsibility on the parents. Today's parents are more vested in being a friend to their kids as opposed to teaching them life lessons.

I should also mention that if your child needs to be stimulated at all times, hence your first reaction is to throw him/her their handheld game, fine, but TURN OFF THE MUSIC!

But to outright ban kids from a dining area? Nope. Perhaps babies (that's what I voted for), but all kids unless they're 16 or older? Not a chance. how will they learn to behave properly in that type of setting unless they're exposed to it?

Incidentally, growing up, my folks left my brothers and I at home when they went out for dinner for "date night." But they did bring us to various nice restaurants and the club for meals, as well as the officers' club (Dad was career military), on many occasions. We didn't dare act up and or do anything but be gentlemen when that happened. We sat up straight, we spoke quietly, we used the silverware for eating, not musical instruments, we didn't shout or wander around the dining room. Why? Because we knew that if we did otherwise, we would suffer the wrath of Dad. We did anything wrong, there would be repercussions. Something a lot of parents just don't quite seem to grasp today.

Stop being a friend to your kid and be a parent.

I have mixed feelings. A baby or child having a tantrum is a fact of life and one we all need to learn to live with. At the same token, I strongly feel that when it does happen, it's the parents' responsibility to take action and put a stop to it immediately. If that's not possible, they should understand that it's impacting others and leave so that those around them can enjoy their meal/movie/show/etc... I never blame the child for their behavior, but you can bet I put full responsibility on the parents. Today's parents are more vested in being a friend to their kids as opposed to teaching them life lessons.

I should also mention that if your child needs to be stimulated at all times, hence your first reaction is to throw him/her their handheld game, fine, but TURN OFF THE MUSIC!

But to outright ban kids from a dining area? Nope. Perhaps babies (that's what I voted for), but all kids unless they're 16 or older? Not a chance. how will they learn to behave properly in that type of setting unless they're exposed to it?

Incidentally, growing up, my folks left my brothers and I at home when they went out for dinner for "date night." But they did bring us to various nice restaurants and the club for meals, as well as the officers' club (Dad was career military), on many occasions. We didn't dare act up and or do anything but be gentlemen when that happened. We sat up straight, we spoke quietly, we used the silverware for eating, not musical instruments, we didn't shout or wander around the dining room. Why? Because we knew that if we did otherwise, we would suffer the wrath of Dad. We did anything wrong, there would be repercussions. Something a lot of parents just don't quite seem to grasp today.

Stop being a friend to your kid and be a parent.

Amen! We took our 5 year old daughter to see the musical Cats when she was 5. She had heard the CD all the time (I played it a lot) and loved it. We knew if there was a problem we would have to leave (no matter the cost of the tickets). But, that wonderful child sat throught the whole thing and sometimes whisper/sang (I could only really see her lips moving). I was so proud of her and people came up to us during intermission complimenting her behavior. That is how they learn, but parents have to learn the correct thing to do when they misbehave!

MrPete, I am not concerned with being right or wrong today, I think most of the people will know what I meant.

I am leaving to go on our cruise in 3 days, nothing said will rock my boat today :):):):):D:D

There is no right or wrong in opinion.

The only fact here is, all ages are welcome. Matters not if anyone disagrees with this.

..and you expect something like this on a mass makret cruise ship....a CARNIVAL cruise ship???? :confused:

You would have better opportunity to experience an all adult atmosphere on a line that caters to older cruisers, I think....

Also, from my experience, longer itineraries (14+ days) often don't have many kids on board, however there are always some.

I don't enjoy a cruise that has way too many kids on board either...which is why I choose my cruise accordingly. I also don't enjoy a cruise where there are too many older people either.....a good mix is always preferable...so I also choose my cruiseLINE accordingly.

I understand that some people are offended because of this poll, but we as adults have a right to eat dinner in peace. Some parents are not responsible enough to train or teach their children how to act in public, so we end up having to put up with disruptive children during dinner. For one, I would not tolerate it. I taught my children how to act in public at a very early age, but to put them through a two-hour dinner with nothing to entertain them...any parent that would do that is asking for trouble. BTW, it's not fair to other patrons in the restaurant, but it's not fair to the children who are expected to sit through dinner for so long. I have no problem saying that an age restriction should be in place at a restaurant like that. But when I go to dinner at any restaurant, I expect to have a nice quiet dinner. Either I'm leaving or they are leaving, but something will be done.

Yes, you should be able to eat dinner in peace....but you are generalizing when you assume that all kids can't sit for a two hour meal. Although I imagine a lot of kids can't, our kids were raised with sit down dinners at home, with everyone present. Our dinners at home didn't last two hours, but they were long and we enjoyed each other's company...so they were used to sitting down to a meal. I'm Italian...holiday dinners last 1/2 a day. SO.... was I supposed to skip out on a meal in the steak house just because someone like you can't comprehend the fact that some kids can sit and just be with their parents and enjoy a longer meal?? That's just bull. NOT all kids need constant stimulation/entertainment...depends on how they are raised.

Not all kids are raised like animals. The cruise line should have the *nerve* to make sure people know to take a screaming baby or a rambunctious toddler OR an obnoxious adult OUT and enforce that.

Disruption is disruption and should not have to be tolerated.

I would like them to open it up to families for the first couple of hours and After that limit it 16 or older.

That way you would have the option of dining with whatever group you prefer

I think that's a wonderful idea, and a good compromise for those who would prefer that children not be allowed. I'd say after 7:30 pm it should be 16+.

I have to say, I kind of resent the comments that say children should not be allowed. Many children are well behaved in restaurants, as mine (11 and 14) were when my family dined in the steakhouse on the Magic during our last cruise.

..and you expect something like this on a mass makret cruise ship....a CARNIVAL cruise ship???? :confused:

You would have better opportunity to experience an all adult atmosphere on a line that caters to older cruisers, I think....

Also, from my experience, longer itineraries (14+ days) often don't have many kids on board, however there are always some.

I don't enjoy a cruise that has way too many kids on board either...which is why I choose my cruise accordingly. I also don't enjoy a cruise where there are too many older people either.....a good mix is always preferable...so I also choose my cruiseLINE accordingly.

Yes, you should be able to eat dinner in peace....but you are generalizing when you assume that all kids can't sit for a two hour meal. Although I imagine a lot of kids can't, our kids were raised with sit down dinners at home, with everyone present. Our dinners at home didn't last two hours, but they were long and we enjoyed each other's company...so they were used to sitting down to a meal. I'm Italian...holiday dinners last 1/2 a day. SO.... was I supposed to skip out on a meal in the steak house just because someone like you can't comprehend the fact that some kids can sit and just be with their parents and enjoy a longer meal?? That's just bull. NOT all kids need constant stimulation/entertainment...depends on how they are raised.

Not all kids are raised like animals. The cruise line should have the *nerve* to make sure people know to take a screaming baby or a rambunctious toddler OR an obnoxious adult OUT and enforce that.

Disruption is disruption and should not have to be tolerated.

Well, the good news is, it is policy for the manager to ask anyone unruly to remove themselves from the steakhouse. This is in stark contrast to that OP's complaint, but that manager remembers the situation a bit different.

Maybe the OP is a kid hater embellishing his story.

It's a Carnival cruise. That means families and that means lots of kids. Those who prefer adults (or mostly adults) only should book on Holland. Kids are fine. Ours are older now (16 and 19) but I still have no problems with a family spending family together. Thats the way it should be.

I would like them to open it up to families for the first couple of hours and After that limit it 16 or older.

That way you would have the option of dining with whatever group you prefer

I agree with this one. If an age limit is going to be put in place, this is an excellent compromise. (Though I'd probably say 12 instead of 16.)

If I were in any *nice* restaurant with either of my children, I'd leave whether the noise is from crying OR happiness. E.g., my DD2 does not have a reliable volume knob. She frequently, rather spontaneously, decides to "entertain" us with her song and dance routine, which consists of her bouncing, kicking and swinging her arms around while telling us all about her day in a vaguely melodic yell. It's completely adorable at home - it's even a HAPPY loudness, rather than a cry. But in a nice restaurant, I'd kindly remove her from the dining hall to finish her performance. :)

Archived