Disappointed with Beverage Package

The thing that gets me is the "everyone must buy it thing.

I cant drink for medical reasons as i had stomach surgery in december. however my BF would probably quite like the beverage package as he likes a glass of wine etc. |Yet he cant buy it for himself.

It is my understanding that you can often times get a medical waiver. Get a note from your physician saying you cannot drink for medical reasons and you might have some luck. I would call and check with Royal first.

akcruz, in terms of the soda, it would be available in the MDR as well correct?

So, by not buying the soda package basically means you lose out on the Freestyle machine.

Yes, you can get soda in the main dining room with your package.

It is my understanding that you can often times get a medical waiver. Get a note from your physician saying you cannot drink for medical reasons and you might have some luck. I would call and check with Royal first.

You are correct, it specifically states that if you have a medical "excuse" all in the cabin do not have to purchase. Just need to have the note from the doctor stating they cannot drink.

One of the NICEST things about the drink packages is not having to sign all those stupid chits!!! I wish I could elect "no signature, no receipt" when I check in. I never want my receipt and they look at me like I'm crazy. I'm on vacation, I'll take my chances. I understand others may want them, but I'm totally okay not having to hassle with it.

We are just back of The Oasis, which was our first time with RCI. As we both like a drink during the afternoon, wine with dinner, and a few drinks in the bars and clubs in the evening we decided to buy the premium package, and thought that on a day by day basis $385 was worth it. However, it really does lead you to overinduldge, and by day 4 we were certainly not getting our daily value. One by the pool ordered a Jack and Coke and a bottle of water. When charged $5 for the water I said that next time I will ask for a glass of water, and a bottle of Jack. The waiter did at least laugh. My though here, is that the fact that soft drinks and water are not included in a premium package is ridiculous. We are booked on The Allure for March next year, and unless the package changes to include water, juices and coffees, we have both said that we will not buy buying it again. (the list of alcoholic drinks which WERE included though is pretty impressive. The other bonus though is that you don't have to worry about signing anything, or being glared at for not leaving 'additional tips')

One of the NICEST things about the drink packages is not having to sign all those stupid chits!!! I wish I could elect "no signature, no receipt" when I check in. I never want my receipt and they look at me like I'm crazy. I'm on vacation, I'll take my chances. I understand others may want them, but I'm totally okay not having to hassle with it.

hahaha I have just made the same comment in my post after yours, which you posted whilst I was typing. Are you listening RCI??

We are just back of The Oasis, which was our first time with RCI. As we both like a drink during the afternoon, wine with dinner, and a few drinks in the bars and clubs in the evening we decided to buy the premium package, and thought that on a day by day basis $385 was worth it. However, it really does lead you to overinduldge, and by day 4 we were certainly not getting our daily value. One by the pool ordered a Jack and Coke and a bottle of water. When charged $5 for the water I said that next time I will ask for a glass of water, and a bottle of Jack. The waiter did at least laugh. My though here, is that the fact that soft drinks and water are not included in a premium package is ridiculous. We are booked on The Allure for March next year, and unless the package changes to include water, juices and coffees, we have both said that we will not buy buying it again. (the list of alcoholic drinks which WERE included though is pretty impressive. The other bonus though is that you don't have to worry about signing anything, or being glared at for not leaving 'additional tips')

According to RCCL's website soft drinks are included. Did you have a difference experience?

Question, are you sure that soda was not included? In the FAQs here it clearly states that fountain soda are.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Drink&faqId=5531&faqSubjectId=336&faqType=faq

Glad to know I'm not the only one up in the air about the drink package!! :confused::confused::confused:

Leaning towards yes, but I'm a wine drinker... ::"Price Is Right" Sound when you lose the game:: :o

You can buy it on the first day as soon as you board, and the cost is exactly the same. That way you can get a full list of what is, and what is not included.

I'm new to RCI, so I will apologize in advance! What drinks exactly are included in the "fountain soda"? What drinks are totally free? We have purchased the soda package for all 5 of us (2 adults & 3 kids) and were thinking about purchasing a premium alcohol package for the two adults. Hubby & I like diet Coke and were wondering if we should cancel the soda package for us if we are going to purchase an alcohol package?? Thank you!!

Personally, with 3 kids around I doubt you would get your money's worth from paying $770 for two alcohol packages. We did, and we struggled, and that's without kids.

Gotcha! I really wish fresh juices were included!! If they were, I wouldn't think twice about it. I have to decide soon!!!

I would say wait until you get onboard. I can sense you are very excited as you're sialing in a few days.

I would say wait until you get onboard. I can sense you are very excited as you're sialing in a few days.

Since the Navigator is sailing out of NOLA, all purchases--including drinks--are taxed. I cannot find anyone that has the definitive answer if this includes buying the drink package. :confused:

The thing that gets me is the "everyone must buy it thing.

I cant drink for medical reasons as i had stomach surgery in december. however my BF would probably quite like the beverage package as he likes a glass of wine etc. |Yet he cant buy it for himself.

We were on Freedom in January, not long after the package had been rolled out.

I went to Guest Services on the first day and explained I would like to buy the package on my own as wife did not drink. They called the head bartender who confirmed that was OK.

It is worth pointing out, when I ordered a drink for myself and a soda for my wife (always offering to pay for the soda) I was never charged once for the soda!

Since the Navigator is sailing out of NOLA, all purchases--including drinks--are taxed. I cannot find anyone that has the definitive answer if this includes buying the drink package. :confused:

Why not call RCI?? Just a thought.

UPDATE C&A says tax is not added to the purchase price when you buy the drink package on the ship.

The first 8 hours while sailing out of New Orleans they add, "Value Tax" or something while you are in the Mississippi River.

I'd no chance it and pre-order online, so you can go straight to the Pool Bar! :D

-Michael

The first 8 hours while sailing out of New Orleans they add, "Value Tax" or something while you are in the Mississippi River.

I'd no chance it and pre-order online, so you can go straight to the Pool Bar! :D

-Michael

We just sailed on the Navigator out of NOLA and bought the wine package once we got onboard.

What RC did, was just not run the purchase until the next day, so, there was no tax charged on the package, but, we were still able to use the package the first night.

So, since they did it for the wine package, I'm sure they would do the same for any of their packages.

But you're right anything that was bought, drinks before embarkation and during the cruise down the Mississippi, had the tax added. On the way back, the shops closed early before we hit the river, so, they wouldn't have to deal with the tax reporting on that.

Susan :)

I'm really on the fence. Like others, I really really really LOVE the idea of not signing those receipts. I never keep them either. I did the first few cruises of my life and I STILL find those stupid receipts in weird places in my house. LOL

I have also never once had an issue of being overcharged. I don't know, maybe I have, but I haven't noticed.

My BF and I do drink what I would consider to be A LOT. But even then, our onboard account is right around $600-$800 for our liquor purchases, which generally includes some nicer wine that is not included. The @$800 was a rare occurrence. If we do pre-purchase it will be purely for the convenience because otherwise, I think it is really is just a wash for us.

The one thing that could really make it a "No Go" is if Martinis are indeed not included (I thought I read that a few months ago?) and if Basil Hayden's is not on their list. i didn't see it on the one online, but it also says it does not include all the liquor that is in the package. They generally only have it in a couple venues onboard but we always have to go to where it is served.

"And then the kicker.... The Royal package is a dollar MORE per day!"

From checking the websites it appears that RC charges $55 and X charges $54. A dollar a day difference. But, 15% gratuities are included in the RC costs and X adds 15% to their package. So the RC package costs $55 per day per person and the X package costs $62.10.. That 's a six dollar difference which may explain why RC excludes some things that X includes.

We too had been going back and forth trying to make the decision to buy or not. We have purchased the package on Celebrity and it was worth every penny!! We were lucky enough to get the "free" package that was offered a few weeks ago when we booked our upcoming New Year's Eve cruise on the Eclipse. We just booked the Oasis for a late April sailing on our first big ship experience :-) At first we were going to purchase the package but looking at the fine print we backed off. I am really shocked that water wasn't included. The water was the decision maker, for the price....not worth it!!

We took advantage of the 1-2-3 promotion on Celebrity. We were given the Classic drink package for free and to upgrade to the Premium package was only $161.00 for two for the week. Great deal. What was even better was the fact that Celebrity did not limit the promotion to new bookings only. We are once again taking advantage of the same promotion for our 14 night cruise next March on the Eclipse. Two Premium packages for $322.00. Unlimited water, coffee and cocktails for $322.00 for two for a 14 night cruise is a heck of a deal. The only drink that we had to pay extra for on the Reflection was the Sangria in Qsine. $1.00 per glass.:)

I agree that it's not worth it on RCI. I think as others have stated, RCI is trying to make this as customer unfriendly as possible or they would be offering a program similar to Celebrity.

Archived