Where is QM2?

turquoise 6

It is great when the locals turn out, en masse, to see the QM2 when departing. Makes you feel very lucky when onboard. I especially like all the water traffic and tours hovering around the ship.

The locals here are Germans , and they have a strong Tradition in Transatlantic

Ocean Liner Travels. Bremerhaven to New York

And back

The German Ocean Liners were Strongly built ,beautiful and popular

I can understand the great turn out

In Hamburg haven, Germany

We berthed at 6am today, Pier 12 in Red Hook. The weather is perfect with no rain forecast and blue skies! All aboard at 4.30 for a 5pm departure. We're expecting some rough weather on the way back thankfully :)

Bon Voyage Cap'n

Hope you enjoyed your day in New York

Yep. Looks like some rough seas ahead , and you

Are looking forward :)

T

Where will she be between 26th and 30th November 2014? There is a small gap in the schedules, not enough time for Hamburg dock?

QM2 was scheduled to be on a 4-night "Autumn Escape" (voyage M429) between the 26th and 30th of November, 2014. Here is the itinerary:

Nov 26, 2014 - Southampton

Nov 27, 2014 - Le Havre

Nov 28, 2014 - At Sea

Nov 29, 2014 - Zeebrugge

Nov 30, 2014 - Southampton

But I'm not sure what's going on with that voyage. It can be found on various cruise booking web sites, but I can't locate it doing a voyage search on Cunard's site.

Regards,

John.

Thanks, Ray.

Apparently this is a glitch on Cunard's U.S. web site then. Here in the U.S., when I search for voyage M429, I get a terse "No Results" message. The same happens when I click on your link which automatically redirects me from cunard.co.uk to cunard.com. But when using a proxy server to access cunard.co.uk without being redirected to cunard.com, I am able to find voyage M429.

Regards,

John.

Please note I am not being critical of the QE2 and I am sure that compared to her peers she was indeed a state of the art 'liner' and a trend setter for the new type of cruise holidays :)

Apart from the size of the QM2, her design, she also has stabilisers and other items of technological wonder that helps to keep her far more stable than the older vessel. Having said all this, no matter how hard they try, ships cannot defy the laws of physics and even this iconic vessel will sometimes have to play second fiddle to mother nature ;);)

HI glojo, with all due respect, but you may have to "eat your words"

The Qm2 hit major, 2 lows including depression Melissa with more than 14 meter waves or more than 45 feet , consistently and winds of 50 mph.

Can you imagine how the QE2, the United States, France will have done?

There would be ropes in public rooms and Sand Bags at exterior door exits, to stop sea water from the waves coming into the public rooms.

Not so with the Majestic QM2. The QM2 surpasses them all!

Edited by turquoise 6
adding a word

• 4 weeks later...
Is the QM2 sailing to New York on December 15,2013? The marine weather map shows extreme rough seas in the North Atlantic from Dec 14 thru 18.

Waves can be as high as 30 ft or more.

Very Challenging ,but typical North Atlantic December weather.

Not a red wine cruise then...

Should be great fun. Regards to all my fellow passengers of Dec 20/21 2009.

Not a red wine cruise then...

Should be great fun. Regards to all my fellow passengers of Dec 20/21 2009.

"Not A Red Wine Cruise" reminds me of when

I was on board the QM2 during a crossing and we hit VERY ROUGH seas.

It was so rough, that even the crew was getting sea sick. There was a delightful well seasoned couple from Maidenhead sitting in the Wintergarden,

immuned from seasickness. Their cure: CHAMPAGNE :cool:

[quote name='lannp']A friend is on board the QM2 and reports that the swells are 12-18 ft. with force 8 winds.[quote name='capnpugwash']Almost millpond conditions then :)[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE][url=http://s102.photobucket.com/user/pb82/media/0r%202011%20Quebec%20Sep%2027%20-%20Oct%207/MVI_1454.mp4.html?sort=6&o=3]Here[/url] is a short video from October 2011 of my favorite non-millpond view from QM2.

[quote name='pmb1'][url=http://s102.photobucket.com/user/pb82/media/0r%202011%20Quebec%20Sep%2027%20-%20Oct%207/MVI_1454.mp4.html?sort=6&o=3]Here[/url] is a short video from October 2011 of my favorite non-millpond view from QM2.[/QUOTE]
Amazing videos! Was that the Canada cruise from NY in October ,2011?
The QM2 left Quebec in a major Hurricane ,while some other cruise ships stayed in port. The 2nd video, showing the seating of passengers in the Queens Grille when there was fire in the turbines on deck 12 during the same voyage in that hurricane!!!
The QM2 did very well in those adverse conditions.

It is certainly quite 'lively' out in the Western Approaches but I see that all the local ferries are still sailing, the small coastal fishing boats are out plying their trade!! MAD.... If folks like 'uppy downy' then the smaller boats are the place for the fun fair ride :)

The videos that I like to see are those from another ship showing how the flagship cuts through heavier seas. It will sometimes give the illusion her bow is dipping down into the sea but I would suggest she merely gets out of kilter with the odd wave?

I am guessing there will be less slamming on this ship when compared to any other cruise ship of a similar size travelling at the same speed :)

Unfortunately it will be dark when we both navigate down the English Channel in a few weeks time as it would have been a beautiful sight, especially if conditions are similar to those we are experiencing these last few days :)

[quote name='turquoise 6']Amazing videos! Was that the Canada cruise from NY in October ,2011?
The QM2 left Quebec in a major Hurricane ,while some other cruise ships stayed in port. The 2nd video, showing the seating of passengers in the Queens Grille when there was fire in the turbines on deck 12 during the same voyage in that hurricane!!!
The QM2 did very well in those adverse conditions.[/QUOTE]Yes, that was "big storm, small fire" cruise, NYC-Newport-Boston-Bar Harbor-Halifax-Quebec-NYC September 27-October 7, 2011. Captain Oprey and all crew were superb; I especially liked his "exciting day" [url=http://s102.photobucket.com/user/pb82/media/0r%202011%20Quebec%20Sep%2027%20-%20Oct%207/i%20storm%20fire%201005%20Wed/MVI_1460.mp4.html?sort=9&o=29]wrap-up[/url].

Update from the QM2.
Since they left Southampton they have had almost continuously Force 8-9 winds. The seas are running 20-40 ft. and outside decks except for deck 8 have been closed. All the pools have been drained. The Commodore might allow deck 7 to be opened today.

[quote name='lannp']Update from the QM2.
Since they left Southampton they have had almost continuously Force 8-9 winds. The seas are running 20-40 ft. and outside decks except for deck 8 have been closed. All the pools have been drained. The Commodore might allow deck 7 to be opened today.[/QUOTE]

[I]Yikes! [/I]Thanks for the update lannp.
No doubt passengers will be ready for a nice long walk when the ship docks in NYC on Sunday. Happily, they will arrive to what could be record breaking temperatures for this time of year - around 65 degrees F with slight rain. Sorry for those who were hoping for snow, but we've had enough of that in the past couple of weeks in NY :)

BTW, when the waves are that high, are passengers permitted to use their balcony?

Cheers,
Salacia