Where is QM2?

turquoise 6

:D:D

All times UTC

12:28am passing Buetzfleth

12:36am -- -- Stadersand

01:16am -- -- Wedel

01:51am arrive Hamburg

Apart from that I have no idea ;) (humour)

I do hope we donot enter any port at that hour of the day as I am looking forward to entering and leaving every location we sail to :)

I have no idea what problems this ship had but when you have this modern type of system that generates electrical power to propel the ship, are they more exposed to loosing their main drive? (definitely a question and NOT a statement)

Hello. G

Looks good. Everything is up and running

Thank you!

Hello. G

Looks good. Everything is up and running

Thank you!

Morning T!

Everything was up and running and looking good just before it broke!!!:eek:

I'd still feel safer withought any power whatssoever on a ship than an aeroplane in the samne situation.

Stephen

Morning T!

I'd still feel safer withought any power whatssoever on a ship than an aeroplane in the samne situation.

Stephen

Morning Stephen,

great point! :D

best regards,

seasidegal

Morning T!

Stephen

. Hi Stephen

Yes i agree. I feel safer on a ship without power than a plane

The QM2 seems to have frequent power outage

Hope all is well

T

Hi everyone! I was on this QM2 which arrived in Hamburg this morning.

Yes, we had a power lost on the sea day from Southampon to Hamburg in the late afternoon. But I didn't feel anything as I was swimming in the indoor pool. I think the engine stopped for 10 mins (?)

We arrived in HH at around 5am, 1 hour earlier than expected.

Hi everyone! I was on this QM2 which arrived in Hamburg this morning.

Yes, we had a power lost on the sea day from Southampon to Hamburg in the late afternoon. But I didn't feel anything as I was swimming in the indoor pool. I think the engine stopped for 10 mins (?)

We arrived in HH at around 5am, 1 hour earlier than expected.

HI : thanks for the update and good to hear everyone safe.:)

Where there any announcements made by Captain?

HI : thanks for the update and good to hear everyone safe.:)

Where there any announcements made by Captain?

Yes, the Captain made a short announcement but I can't remember what he has said exactly. In case you didn't see it, people talk about this incident in another thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1859019

Glojo - response to your questions in black type below:-

It is nice to hear folks confirming what we say and what are the thoughts of those that sailed on both the old trans-Atlantic Queens and the Queen Elizabeth 2?

Unfortunately I am not of sufficient years to have sailed on QM, but I agree with you below about the QE2 being a hybrid cruise ship and liner.

Was the QE2 a significant step forward regarding its interior design\layout? The original ships were out and out ferries designed for a scheduled route across an area of ocean that at times was not the most pleasant of places to be and I am assuming individual balconies were not high on the list of required features. The QE2 however was more of a cruise ship as opposed to the 'ferry' that had a type of weekly trans-Atlantic service and as such passengers might want their own individual, private area in which to sun bath.

The QE2 was significant in that most of the public rooms were placed in the centre of the ship, with wide walkways and windows each side. Thus one could promenade inside the ship in bad weather. I actually liked this layout and rather miss it on QM2.

There were few cabins on QE2 that had their own balcony. Most such cabins were the "dox-boxes" (Q2s) added up on the Signal and Sun Decks and were not part of the original plans for the ship. When the QE2 was built, there was not this mania for balconies. Some Q1 cabins on QE2 had no balcony, including that behind the QG restaurant that was converted from the old radio room.

Did the QE2 carry on with the very traditional wooden interior design styling of her older sisters or did she make her own statement and have a more modern looking interior?

Some parts of QE2 retained original wooden interiors, particularly the QG cabins on One and Two Deck. However, most of the public rooms were of a less traditional style, from the Princess Grill (60s) to the Yacht Club (70s) to the Chart Room (80s) style. Some rooms had no defined style at all.

I must confess that I dislike with a passion this so called 'Art Deco' type styling brrrrr I totally accept some folks like it and here I am having booked a cruise aboard the Queen Elizabeth. In my defence, all the pictures I have seen of this ship's interior look very nice but how does it compare to the other two more traditional ships? Is the interior theming of the Queen Victoria similar to that of the Queen Mary 2?

I agree that I am not a fan of recent reinterpretations of "art deco".

I think we have had some excellent discussions about liners vs cruise ships and what a great pity the latest two 'smaller' Queens do not have a similar styled bow to that of all their predecessors. It would most certainly make them more comfortable in adverse sea conditions and also possibly the best designed cruise ships for their size?

I agree that the two smaller Queens would have been better designed with a more streamlined hull form. But this would have caused additional design cost, which Cunard apparently did not wish to pay.

I am genuinely looking forward to listening to both Louise and is it the head of the Fashion Police who will also be accompanying us on our cruise aboard the newest member of the Cunard fleet? I do note how one of them has 'bottled out' of the first leg of the upcoming trip which is that crossing of the North Atlantic.:D;) (apologies for my teasing type humour)

Having dealt firmly with the fashion miscreants on QM2, the Fashion Police will indeed be turning their attention to QE. We have assigned various operatives to different sectors of the next world cruise.

On a different forum folks that have cruised on all three Cunard ships have mostly rated the smaller vessels as being better laid out, and having better interior designs, but on this forum the Queen Mary 2 tends to come out on top?

For those interested in naval architecture, there is no doubt that the QM2 will always be considered the better ship of the three current Cunard vessels.

Thank you for your testament a la the Cunard Ships

I don't agree with you.

No problem

Edited by turquoise 6

It is a shame, but Cunard is now part of the NWO brigade. On the surface, the company must do what it can in these endlessly harsh economic times :rolleyes:. However, the British tradition of Cunard had to be very gradually dilluted. Hence, QM2 is now a tourist cruise ship.

I brought this up because of the recent changes at the

"TOP"

We must not forget that Carnival is the owner of Cunard

The Cunard of the 1930 to 1960 is gone:(

I think perhaps Carnival pseudo art déco. It is a long way from the 1930s liners Normandie or the original Queen Mary in style.
I love how you make design "your own"

How can one describe your term " carnival pseudo art deco?"

what does it mean?:(

I love how you make design "your own"

How can one describe your term " carnival pseudo art deco?"

what does it mean?:(

Thank you for your words of praise. Carnival pseudo art deco is best illustrated by thinking of the way the QM2 is decorated in the common passages leading to the Britannia restaurant on Decks 2 and 3.

It is a modern reinterpretation of art deco. If you have studied the amazing décor on the QM as originally launched in 1936, which I have been privileged to do, then you will readily see the difference between that original style and what we can see on board the QM2.

Thank you for your words of praise. Carnival pseudo art deco is best illustrated by thinking of the way the QM2 is decorated in the common passages leading to the Britannia restaurant on Decks 2 and 3.

It is a modern reinterpretation of art deco. If you have studied the amazing décor on the QM as originally launched in 1936, which I have been privileged to do, then you will readily see the difference between that original style and what we can see on board the QM2.

HI, ok I got it. It's very nice that you remember the QM of 1936. That's a tribute of its own.

The QM2 is a ship of the 21st. century , so things change ,hopefully for the better.

At least the Queen Mary is still around for everyone to enjoy in california

I hope they'll report back on how the 'informal' nights are going over...that is, just how are people dressing under the new rules.

The informal for the 4th July Getaway: Jacket required & tie optional for gentlemen. Cocktail dress,stylish separates or equivalent for ladies. Four nights.

The formal : Dinner jacket,tuxedo or dark suit with tie for gentlemen.

Evening or Cocktail dress for ladies

ONE NIGHT ONLY

Hi Ray. I don't know what caused the delay of several hours, but if I'm reading AIS correctly, QM2 is currently underway. Destination: Hamburg. Speed 18.1 kn. Not sure what the arrival time will be, but AIS has it at 06-21 21:00 UTC. When was she scheduled to dock in Hamburg? -S.

Don't know if it was the reason here, but the ship will wait when passengers on Cunard sponsored tours are late returning. That is the main reason we book Cunard shore tours when what we want to see isn't an easy run back to the ship.

The informal for the 4th July Getaway: Jacket required & tie optional for gentlemen. Cocktail dress,stylish separates or equivalent for ladies. Four nights.

The formal : Dinner jacket,tuxedo or dark suit with tie for gentlemen.

Evening or Cocktail dress for ladies

ONE NIGHT ONLY

Bring your own lobster bib :D

Thanks. It should be quite acceptable: all lobster bibs are 'self-tie' (no clip-on) hehehehheheh :D

Ah yes. Should be quite acceptable , but one never knows

With the way Cunard changes the Dress code. LOL

Do the bibs come it colors? Hmmmm Pink with poco dots

Will suit me fine... LOL:D