Cozumel: Mr. Sancho's or Nachi Cocom?

mindy.le

Thanks for this review Marie and for starting this thread Mindy! We have been booked for Nachi for over a year and I now know I made the right decision in booking this for us. We will finally be there on 9 April as one of our ports. My hubby is 53 and I am 51 and Nachi Cocum sounds like the experience we are looking for. REALLY looking forward to two Tuesdays from now! :)

You guys will have a good time.

I love it. It's quiet and peaceful. I can get loud music on the ship.:eek: LOL!

It's just what the doctor ordered.:D

FYI: Don't order the barbecue ribs. They're not meaty at all and not the same as what we eat here in the states.

We went to Nachi a few months ago on our Christmas cruise (wanted to try something different from the usual Chankanaab). You can read my entire review here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755846&page=10

It starts at post #379. Be prepared there is a lot to read (which you can skip if you want) and TONS of pictures of our day there. At least you will get a clear idea of the place with the pictures. :)

We went to nachi our last cruise and absolutely loved it. Looking forward to going back.

But this cruise our granddaughter and her friend (both 21) are going so we need something more lively.

We've been to paradise beach a couple of times and enjoyed it.. but I'm considering Mr Sancho for something new.

We went to Nachi a few months ago on our Christmas cruise (wanted to try something different from the usual Chankanaab). You can read my entire review here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755846&page=10

It starts at post #379. Be prepared there is a lot to read (which you can skip if you want) and TONS of pictures of our day there. At least you will get a clear idea of the place with the pictures. :)

Loved the photos & review of Nachi. I am trying to decide between there & Mr Sanchos. We have 2 girls, 9 & 11. How bad is the drop off at the beach? We would be upset also if we went but did not feel safe letting the girls play in the water..

Loved the photos & review of Nachi. I am trying to decide between there & Mr Sanchos. We have 2 girls, 9 & 11. How bad is the drop off at the beach? We would be upset also if we went but did not feel safe letting the girls play in the water..

At the time we were there (December) it wasn't a gradual decline like you might find at other beaches and I did not feel that it was safe for my 4 year old. However, you have 9 & 11 year olds, so they are a little taller and would probably be ok. My daughter can swim, but I just didn't feel like it was safe enough for her because she likes to jump over the waves and splash and a jump about a foot out and it would be unexpected and she would probably go under.

I don't know if it's that way all of the time. I have read others post in the past (before I ever went there) that they were losing a lot of their beach area (don't worry, there's plenty of beach area), but it now makes me wonder if maybe the erosion of some of the beach from the past causes this slight drop off about a foot out from flat ground? Maybe someone else can confirm.

We just didn't like it due to the drop and the sand being so hard to walk in and we don't go to the Caribbean to swim in a pool. So it's just not the place for our family and won't return. You'll find those that love this place and return over and over. Then you'll have those that absolutely hate it. I'm in between. Nice place, beautiful grounds, nice pool, decent enough facilities, great food, pretty beach, just unusable to us.

I would say if it looks like anything you would like, go for it. You and your family may love it. You never know until you try it. I by no means gave you the link to the review to discourage you (or anyone else that reads it) not to go. Only to gain knowledge and to be able to see tons of pictures of the place so that you can make your own decision if it "looks" like a place you would like to go. :) Have fun with whatever you decide to do. I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter what. :D

At the time we were there (December) it wasn't a gradual decline like you might find at other beaches and I did not feel that it was safe for my 4 year old. However, you have 9 & 11 year olds, so they are a little taller and would probably be ok. My daughter can swim, but I just didn't feel like it was safe enough for her because she likes to jump over the waves and splash and a jump about a foot out and it would be unexpected and she would probably go under.

I don't know if it's that way all of the time. I have read others post in the past (before I ever went there) that they were losing a lot of their beach area (don't worry, there's plenty of beach area), but it now makes me wonder if maybe the erosion of some of the beach from the past causes this slight drop off about a foot out from flat ground? Maybe someone else can confirm.

We just didn't like it due to the drop and the sand being so hard to walk in and we don't go to the Caribbean to swim in a pool. So it's just not the place for our family and won't return. You'll find those that love this place and return over and over. Then you'll have those that absolutely hate it. I'm in between. Nice place, beautiful grounds, nice pool, decent enough facilities, great food, pretty beach, just unusable to us.

I would say if it looks like anything you would like, go for it. You and your family may love it. You never know until you try it. I by no means gave you the link to the review to discourage you (or anyone else that reads it) not to go. Only to gain knowledge and to be able to see tons of pictures of the place so that you can make your own decision if it "looks" like a place you would like to go. :) Have fun with whatever you decide to do. I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter what. :D

Thx soo much for your quick reply.. I do appreciate your review..Things to consider I guess.. Thank you for mentioning the kids are ok to go there also. I had wondered..

Thx soo much for your quick reply.. I do appreciate your review..Things to consider I guess.. Thank you for mentioning the kids are ok to go there also. I had wondered..

You are very welcome. It was an extremely windy day, so that didn't help with the swimming in the ocean bit either. :( Just be cautious, just in case, as I'm sure you will at any beach. ;)

WARNING FOR FAMILIES WITH CHILDREN VISITING MR SANCHOS

My family visited Mr Sanchos last Tuesday while in Cozumel. My daughter is 13 and my son is 10. We arrived at Mr Sanchos around noon, the waves were a bit rough so we decided to stay near the pool. When we arrived I noticed a group of ladies in the pool and they were a bit loud and dancing around...no big deal. As the day went on these ladies were getting louder and a bit more crazy ( again no biggie) but their language got a little bit out of hand (again no biggie just told the kids to ignore it). I was not too concerned until three of the women felt that it was ok to flash their breasts at everyone in the pool....including my children. I told the kids to just ignore them and face the other direction. I mentioned to the ladies that there were kids in the pool but they were too drunk to care and continued their drunken love feast on each other. At that point a couple of the ladies then thought it would be a great idea to stand around the pool and dance as if they were stripers! It was then I noticed the staff members laughing and taking pictures of these woman. In fact one of the pictures in on the Mr Sanchos facebook page! After their little dance they got back into the pool and decided to "breastfeed" off of one another (trying not to be too graphic here). Basically bare breasted body shots without the liquor! When all of this went down their male friends/husbands decided to join in on the fun and hoot and holler about it as well. So of course my kids are looking around to see what all of the fuss is about and seen most of it. There were staff members around watching this the whole time and no one said a word to them. At that point we gathered our things and headed back into town. My children saw more boobs and nipples that day then they had all of their lives! Not to mention the other acts they witnessed. I am in no way a prude, I was upset that my children had to see that. If it were just myself and hubby that day I would have just laughed it off but I do not want another family with children to have to explain that type of bahavior to their kids. I seen several other acts and overheard a lot more that I can't even mention due to the content.

On a side note the food was good and the drinks were great! I hate that all of this happened but I feel like the staff could have asked the ladies to keep their breast in their bathing suits and their hands above the water!

That's unfortunate that happened to you guys.

All I can say is, it was spring break and that happens.

However, you did the right thing by getting the younger ones out of that environment.

There's a lot of Girls Gone Wild moments on spring break.

Isn't Spring Break over by now? I guess what I didn't like was that the staff was taking pictures & did nothing about it.. Nothing I'm interested in taking my kids to.. :(

The sad thing was these ladies were not the "typical college aged spring breakers" you would expect to see acting this way. I would say about half of them were in their early twenties but I heard at least 2 of the ladies say they were in their forties! I was shocked! I guess we just picked a bad time to cruise!

Edited by CPAYNE1997

While I hate that these people spoiled your day there, this can happen anywhere you go. I have never read another post (it may be out there, but I haven't read it) that stated they have witnessed this before there. You never know when something crazy can happen and I have seen stuff like this on a ship before. I don't think it was right that the staff encouraged them if they are having families there.

As for spring break and the ladies being in their 40's so not college students...I'm 47 and I'm a Nursing college student. ;) So yes, even those of us that are "older" do have to cruise during spring break as well. :)

We were at Mr. Sanchos on April 2nd with our teen sons (apparently one week before the incident described above) and saw nothing unusual. We were there from about 11 to 3. There was one person who was too drunk and the staff was removing him from the premises as we were leaving. That was the closest we saw to behavior that was inappropriate and the staff seemed to be responding to it. As others have mentioned you had the misfortune of being at a place on a day where a group of drunks obviously lost the ability to control their behavior. I would go back there again in a heartbeat but, then again, nothing goofy happened during our day there.

How long does is take to get to and from the dock to Nachi? How much for a taxi for 4 people?

It depends on where your ship docks at. I think there are 3 docks. We were just there on Friday and we docked at the Punta Longosta pier. it took us about 30 minutes from there and it cost us $17 each way for a cab.

Bill

It depends on where your ship docks at. I think there are 3 docks. We were just there on Friday and we docked at the Punta Longosta pier. it took us about 30 minutes from there and it cost us $17 each way for a cab.

Bill

Did the prices go up? We have always docked at Punta Laguna pier and it has always been $15. (With the last time being in December). :confused:

Did the prices go up? We have always docked at Punta Laguna pier and it has always been $15. (With the last time being in December). :confused:

I guess so. They had the big board out there with all the prices and that's what it said. I didn't have my camera or i would have taken a pic of it.

They had the same sign at Nachi Cocum with the prices.

We always docked at a different pier with CCL and the price was $16 for last time we went which I think was about 18 months ago.

Bill

I guess so. They had the big board out there with all the prices and that's what it said. I didn't have my camera or i would have taken a pic of it.

They had the same sign at Nachi Cocum with the prices.

We always docked at a different pier with CCL and the price was $16 for last time we went which I think was about 18 months ago.

Bill

Thanks for the heads up. I have always sailed with NCL and they are always at Punta Laguna and we have always paid the same price for the last 3 years.

This cruise we decided to try Carnival and I assume they are at the pier at International (which is actually closer to everything). I'm now wondering what their prices are. :confused:

Thanks for the heads up. I have always sailed with NCL and they are always at Punta Laguna and we have always paid the same price for the last 3 years.

This cruise we decided to try Carnival and I assume they are at the pier at International (which is actually closer to everything). I'm now wondering what their prices are. :confused:

I just spent 15 minutes looking online for prices and they all say $16 from Punta Langosta to Mr Sanchos or Nachi Cocum. :confused:

Bill

We just got back from Nachi Cocom for the second time, and it was just as great as before. Food and drinks were great, and people were very nice.

When were you there? we went friday 4/19 and everybody was great as usual and service and drinks were flowing freely.

It looked like they just had some bad weather as the beach had a lot of sea grass on it and the water was all churned up.

There was maybe a handful of people in the water and the rest in the pool.

No fault of Nachis. we just hung in the pool and under our palapa all day.:)

it was our 4th time there.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

We had been to Nachi several years ago and really enjoyed it, but decided to try Mr Sancho's on our cruise last November. We were so disappointed. The food was awful and the menu was not what was posted online. The pool was so cloudy we could not see the bottom. No one, including ourselves, were swimming in the pool. The beach was beautiful, but next time, we'll go back to Nachi.