Weather in Northern Norway

Playtennis

I've found that silk long johns and tee shirt are some of my best friends if I am traveling where the weather can be chilly. They take up almost no space and are great as a first layer.

The time we were in Svalbard (sp?), I was walking through slushy snow in the middle of summer. Unfortunately, when we were at the North Cape, it was so foggy, we could see nothing so one needs to be prepared.

I've found that silk long johns and tee shirt are some of my best friends if I am traveling where the weather can be chilly. They take up almost no space and are great as a first layer.

The time we were in Svalbard (sp?), I was walking through slushy snow in the middle of summer. Unfortunately, when we were at the North Cape, it was so foggy, we could see nothing so one needs to be prepared.

I second this advice, from the perspective of someone who did NOT have these when they would have been welcome.

We had snow in Vienna on Easter last year, and also two very, very cold April days in Salzburg. Layering sweaters/fleece vests/jackets with a waterproof layer on top was great for the upper body, but my legs were freezing when the wind blew...which was often. As soon as we got back home I bought a pair of silk long johns (from the outdoor gear store REI). Lesson learned. Also, gloves if your hands tend to get cold - windproof fleece ones weigh almost nothing but will help a lot.

With all of my time at sea (something over 600 nights) I have never seen the green flash. It's one thing I would like to see.

I am jealous.

The green flash is not uncommon off Waikiki; it takes a clear horizon and occurs just as the sun's upper rim disappears and is replaced by the flash. But the one of which I speak spread like lime juice on a glass table. When the correct conditions exist close the eyes seconds before the sun slips under the horizon and then open again. To my memory this was the only green flash i have seen from a ship. Sunglasses best worn while waiting.:cool:

I second this advice, from the perspective of someone who did NOT have these when they would have been welcome.

We had snow in Vienna on Easter last year, and also two very, very cold April days in Salzburg. Layering sweaters/fleece vests/jackets with a waterproof layer on top was great for the upper body, but my legs were freezing when the wind blew...which was often. As soon as we got back home I bought a pair of silk long johns (from the outdoor gear store REI). Lesson learned. Also, gloves if your hands tend to get cold - windproof fleece ones weigh almost nothing but will help a lot.

I have been in harsh weather as both a Ranger and climber living on ice and enduring all sort of stuff,

The REI source is good. I also think that North Face, Marmott and Mountain Hardware, produce better quality and performance Helly Hansen too.

Better than silk is Polypropylene tops and bottoms underwear ( a base layer) way better than silk because it wicks moisture and keeps you warm even if sopping wet. Its cheaper and can wash and dry in a min.

Next layer is a good long sleeve micro fiber shirt or pullover like caprallene ( Patigonia makes it) Over than a pile over shirt. Then a good wind proof mountain parka ( north face best)

For pants, Northface makes a micro fiber pants with zip off legs which converts to shorts. Super wind proof. Gloves, with silk liners, and a knit or pile hat. If it is windy..wear ski goggles over your glasses... they keep you super warm and yours eyes clear.

I wore this combo last month in Antarctica 29 degree high, and a week later at Iguazu falls in 98 degree 99% humidity.. By layering and having one garment that does 4 jobs you can mix for the occasion. All are ultra light weight and compact. You want to totally avoid cotton and cotton blends as jeans, and sweat shirts.

Do a little research on line.. lots of good info and many popular stylish names are not worth a hoot... like Columbia poor quality I found.

Knowledge is power, power is pleasure.

Hawaiidan et al

Thanks for your advice on gear to wear up north. We've made a list.

Dan - I read your post about reservations and "let things happen rather than driving yourself nuts trying to control things" Unexpected advice from a military man where every little detail is planned out to it's nth degree :D

But like most special ops types you know that S% happens and ya gotta take what's given to you in spite of all the planning.

As the SEALs say, "The only good day was yesterday"! Hoo-yah bay!

Dan,

yep, like the poly stuff...works great. Bought some for my mom who is elderly and is always cold and she wears it all through winter, even inside.

Surprised you didn't like Columbia, have had mine for years and it looks great and shows no wear. I suggested REI because they carry many brands, just not their own....and the reviews published on REI can provide some excellent info.

Layering is crucial. All good advice on this thread.

It was Patton I think who said that ALL plans get tossed aside once the battle begins. He was right

Seriously, we as travelers do not have resources ( equipment) or organization (people) to plan to the extent that many try to achieve.It is not a battle or contest..its a vacation! We don't have to win to enjoy the experience. This is not a SOG op or a business deal...

We are seduced into believing we can be in control by the hundreds of pieces of data, reports, reviews and errata that is possible to compile from the internet, books etc. GPS, Elect gizmos,all sorts of techno toys.

Travel to me is discovery not control. Remember as a child how exciting each day was and discovering the unexpected was a treat? Now as adults we thing we need to be in command. Well, we don't, in fact my best experiences have been ones I had not planned or anticipated.

The best part of knowing how to organize is knowing when not to... now turn 2.

Hey Dan, That quote you attributed to Patton is generally first attributed to Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke, who was Chief of the Prussian General Staff from 1857 - 1887. It's a good observation applicable to many fields other than the military and has also been attributed pretty often to Eisenhower.

Von Moltke first published it in 1871 and then in another book in 1892. It is quite likely that some Greek or Roman General made the same observation but it didn't get written down :).

Your other comments are right on - we're on vacation not planning the invasion of Denmark (as Von Moltke did)

Regards,

Robbie (another old soldier)

well said sir;

We will remember them at the rising and the setting of the sun AND THEIR NAMES shall live with us forevermore, in our hearts and mind and souls.

Sleep well my brother, you do not have the duty tonight

HD ( USN/ret) Clash of 68

Hey Dan, That quote you attributed to Patton is generally first attributed to Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke, who was Chief of the Prussian General Staff from 1857 - 1887. It's a good observation applicable to many fields other than the military and has also been attributed pretty often to Eisenhower.

Von Moltke first published it in 1871 and then in another book in 1892. It is quite likely that some Greek or Roman General made the same observation but it didn't get written down :).

Your other comments are right on - we're on vacation not planning the invasion of Denmark (as Von Moltke did)

Regards,

Robbie (another old soldier)

Robbie21 and HawaiiDan,

Good quotes and info!

I have been pleasantly surprised at the number of veterans who like to cruise. Last Oceania cruise in 2010 we met a number of Air Force vets and one Navy guy. I am retired Navy and, although it may seem to some as a 'bus-man's holiday' being at sea under the blanket of stars is a treasure. (Although all of the shipboard lights kinda spoil it - not like having darken ship)

Your mention of the Invasion brought to mind an exercise I was involved with in 1991 (??). I was stationed near Trondheim and the fleet admiral (COMSTRKFLTLANT) almost chose to bring the 70 vessel task force into the fjord. It caused quite a diplomatic flap that made my stay there...exciting!

Archived