Mexican Riveria in January?

Lollipop's Mom

I am currently trying to decide between doing a Mexican or Carribean in January. We live near Vancouver, so the flight time/expense is much more appealing to only have to go to CA, as opposed to FL.

January is the only time of year we can travel, so any thoughts on the weather,etc... would be great. We are 'beach' people.....would rather be relaxing on a beach than zipping through the rainforest and riding tubes in caves!

Thanks for any input!

We were on RCCL's Vision from January 2 - 9, 2005. The weather was cool the first day and the last day on the ship (leaving and returning to LA) which I understand is typical. The weather in Cabo was very warm. The weather in Mazatlan was also beautiful and people were swimming in the ocean. (We went riding on Stone Island with Randi -- highly recommend it.) PV was slightly overcast the day we were there, but still pleasant The following day, a sea day, was absolutely perfect -- it made having that balcony worth every penny.

I haven't been to the Carribean, but from what I have read, the water is warmer than the Pacific. If snorkeling is important, the Carribean might be a better choice. (And there are cruises out of Galveston, which is a little closer than Florida.) If you just want to sit on the beach and take an occasional dip, Mexico is fine in January. I would go again in a heartbeat!

I am currently trying to decide between doing a Mexican or Carribean in January. We live near Vancouver' date=' so the flight time/expense is much more appealing to only have to go to CA, as opposed to FL.

January is the only time of year we can travel, so any thoughts on the weather,etc... would be great. We are 'beach' people.....would rather be relaxing on a beach than zipping through the rainforest and riding tubes in caves!

Thanks for any input![/quote']

We sailed on Carnival Spirit this past January. The first day at sea was a little chilly, but being from Iowa it still felt good to me. The further south we went the warmer it got. All 3 of the ports were in the 80's -90's. Acapulco was hot and humid and the public beaches were dirty, but you could go to a resort and the beach was very nice. Our other ports had good beaches!

We were on the Diamond Princess last January, and I agree with the above --- the first and last day were a little chilly, not too bad, and it was really warm the other days, especially ashore in all our Mexico ports. I have done the Caribbean at this time of year, also, and that has been warmer but still hit or miss for the first and last day --- Florida sometimes gets pretty cold in January. I do have to say that you have a better chance of all warm weather in the Caribbean, but we came from Massachusetts and were quite satisfied with our weather in the Mexican Riviera.

• 3 weeks later...

I live in LA. You will have typical LA weather on the first and last days of your cruise. This usually means a high in the mid to upper 60's. With the breeze on the ship it may feel a little colder, but I'm sure people coming from colder climates won't mind at all. Of course, it can also be warmer or colder, depending on if there is rain in the forecast. We've done this trip in January and the weather was beautiful once we reached Cabo. The Pacific is colder than the Caribbean - it's a big ocean - but the water is pretty warm in Mexico.

January is dry season in Mexico. It is very pleasant shorts weather during the day. Water is a little chilly to my taste but many people don't seem to mind. Warm but not oppressively hot. It's a great time of the year there.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with most of the other writers. We've done Mexico 3 times in January and out of the 3 weeks we were there, it's only rained 1 day. Unfortunately, we missed Zih/Ixtapa because of it. So we're going to try it again this January on NCL Star. All our other days were just perfect for the beach. Enjoy!

Archived