The 'Cheers' Program has created

canalwen

a large number of sloppy drunks in the main dining rooms. We just came back from a cruise on the Victory. It was a spring break and I expected lots of college kids drinking and carrying on. What surprised me the most was the number of non college age people who had purchased the Cheers program and came into the dining room night after night all drunk and loud and basically just obnoxious. These were not students. One evening there were two couples, one of the ladies was obviously drunk and being so obnoxious, the table next to them asked to move. That same night, not far from the 4some, there was a couple I would say at least in their late 40s, the woman could not even walk without tripping over her own feet. They both were very loud, so loud that everyone in earshot knew that they were 'on their 10th drinks thanks to the Cheers program'. This was the first night of the cruise at about 6:00pm. Even the wait staff was a bit disgusted by the behaviour of these groups. Kind of sad, that you have to drink that much to have a good time. Wonder how the dining room staff feels now that they have to deal with all of that intoxication. I feel bad for them.

not surprised and completely expected, especially with the foolishly announced 15 drink limit. the current carnival passenger will be attempting to drink as much as they possibly can to get their money's worth..

these kinds of programs will only work on the refined lines. as carnival heads back to the "party line" they tried so hard to shake off, they will

hit their own crossroads. its a disaster just waiting to happen.

I value my liver to much to even think about consuming enough booze to make the Cheers program worth the $'s.

Me, a glass or two of wine a day is about all the alcohol I am willing to introduce into the old system.

Problem with getting older is the realization that the body isn't designed to deal with all the crap we consume.

not surprised and completely expected, especially with the foolishly announced 15 drink limit. the current carnival passenger will be attempting to drink as much as they possibly can to get their money's worth..

these kinds of programs will only work on the refined lines. as carnival heads back to the "party line" they tried so hard to shake off, they will

hit their own crossroads. its a disaster just waiting to happen.

Not true, we plan on buying the Cheer's program and I have no interest in hitting the magic number of 15. I do plan on enjoying myself and I figure we will probably break even on it, the advantage is knowing ahead of time exactly what the tab is.

I personally wonder why they don't offer a Cheer's program where the limit is 7 drinks for half the price. Then people wouldn't have to worry about getting their monies worth. Surely 7 drinks would be plenty for social drinkers?

So is the cheers program for the entirety of the cruise? My wife and I were considering spending a sea day drinking and watching the world go by, but only if I can get it for one day.

Its a 12 day cruise and I'm not about to spend $1,000 on booze for the entire trip. I'd need a new liver upon debarkation!

It's hard to find concrete info about the program.

So is the cheers program for the entirety of the cruise? My wife and I were considering spending a sea day drinking and watching the world go by, but only if I can get it for one day.

Its a 12 day cruise and I'm not about to spend $1,000 on booze for the entire trip. I'd need a new liver upon debarkation!

It's hard to find concrete info about the program.

You do have to buy it on the first or second day, for the entire cruise

"Getting your monies worth" is a horrible way to manage your money. If you buy the drink package and drink X amount above your norm just to achieve a bargain, you are not saving anything. You would of saved by just drinking your normal amount.

Have a friend that is always buying stuff on sale. Last month it was a new TV. Before that it was a bedroom set. Each time I asked a simple question, "Was this something that you needed and was going to get any how? Each time I get "no, but since it was X% off the retail price, I couldn't pass up the opportunity".

If your main goal is to get as drunk as you can, then the Cheers program is not for you. On some ships (like Victory), you get cut off after the 15th drink, regardless of your appearance of drunkeness or sobriaty. You cannot be served any more.

BS. You can still get drinks. You wil be charged for them at that point.

If you get the Cheers plan and don't come anywhere close to the 15 max, that's still a lot of booze! To break even, you'd have to drink 8 beers or 5 martinis per day. Wow! I couldn't drink that much every single day. Maybe I'm just a lightweight, but that seems like too much.

It is not a lot at all. If you had your first beer at noon and stayed up until midnight. That would be 1 beer every hour and a half. A 5 year old can drink that much and still be safe.

Drunks will be drunks, regardless of the Cheer's program

I really thinkj this program will make drunks out of social drinkers..I have two sets of friends that would really make out on this program..One couple we went to Cancun with to an AI and they started drinking when they finished breakfast..Another couple we used to cruise with got so drunk they could not get out of the bus at the Panama Canal...Dennis

If you are worried about getting your money's worth, why not just buy a bunch of booze and stay home and get snockered for a couple of weeks.

Think about it --- You save the price of the cruise -- The booze is a LOT cheaper --- And you will remember it just as much !

You do have to buy it on the first or second day, for the entire cruise

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'll be going A la carte with respect to booze purchases. I'm not about to spend 12 days in Norway completely intoxicated.

I value my liver to much to even think about consuming enough booze to make the Cheers program worth the $'s.

Me, a glass or two of wine a day is about all the alcohol I am willing to introduce into the old system.

Problem with getting older is the realization that the body isn't designed to deal with all the crap we consume.

And then are those that have a very low tolerance for alcohol and get very tipsy after just one glass of wine. I have a couple of relatives that are like that.

And then are those that have a very low tolerance for alcohol and get very tipsy after just one glass of wine. I have a couple of relatives that are like that.

As do I. Two tall glasses of wine and I am "very tipsy". Wouldn't feel safe driving after 2 glasses for sure.

And I am 205lb 40ish year old male.

I personally wonder why they don't offer a Cheer's program where the limit is 7 drinks for half the price. Then people wouldn't have to worry about getting their monies worth. Surely 7 drinks would be plenty for social drinkers?

This.

I would eagerly pay $25 for 5 if it still included the bubbles (sodas).

Obviously since carribean/mexican beers are 4.95, it would not be targeted to beer drinkers but there is always the "bucket" which isn't covered under the current cheers program anyway.

I think Carnival would sell more than twice as many at this level.

The lushes will all complain but they will still buy it :D

But can you do 4 beers a day on a port day?

Port Days.

And really that's part of where Cheers falls apart, IMHO. I am on off the ship (away from the hotel so to speak) exploring...MAXIMIZING my time at port which means in order to "make my money's worth" for that day I have to act like a lush at dinner. And while I want enjoy myself and imbibe a few adult beverages, I don't want to be falling down drunk.

Why I will never purchase the current Cheers program:

• The lack of value on port days
  • The fact that there is no way my 98lb DW can ever drink enough to get her 'money's worth' but she would have to purchase it as well since we are in the same cabin.

Are all-inclusive resorts truly all-inclusive? If so, for comparison, are many of the resort guests trashed trying to get their money's worth, too? Just curious.

I've only been to 2 AI's (both times for destination weddings). While there was a contingent of folks getting fairly snookered in the afternoon at the "party pool" I only witnessed 1 incident where someone was so obviously 'over the limit' that she could barely keep her head up. However there were plenty of heavily inebriated people. Light/social drinkers were still having fun at the "party pool" with the heavy drinkers. At dinner time I never noticed anyone still stumbling around though or being overly loud or obnoxious. I've noticed that the drinks served at AIs tend to be smaller and weaker than cruises.

I haven't been on a cruise with a "Cheers" type program yet but on the 2 cruises I have been on (1 Disney 1 Carnival) I have witnessed both times multiple people 'over the limit'.

One summer I spent nearly a month hanging with my buddy at his dive shop, a port day did not pass where I did not witness a number of cruise passengers stumbling back to the ship. Then again on that trip I did spend my last afternoon falling down drunk at a local mini golf course after drinking waaaay too many painkillers and peanut butter mudslides (omg those were so good). So I am not without faults :p

Edit: just to clarify I was actually not "falling down" drunk in the sense that I could not walk even a straight line...unless you count laughing so hard at our own antics that I literally was on my back holding my sides with laughter. Even the 2 sober people in my group of friends were having fun and were laughing almost as hard. But still I was very very inebriated.

I think it depends on what you want from your vacation. I was in the comedy club one night and had a $9.00 drink, took a sip or two and decided I was done drinking for the night and would not finish it even if I spent the money for it.

I think you could say the same thing about the food, someone could go to the buffet two hours after dinner in the MDR because they felt wanted their money's worth.

Archived