travelling with a walker?

cruisemom101

I too see more wheelchairs than walkers. Our friend had one of those walkers with a built in seat that did not really fold up I had to put in my back seat (she never warned me how much space it would take) and my sister was on a cane at the time.

I dont think its all that uncommon. Even some who dont usually need them bring them on the cruise because you have to walk long distances.

We used to try and get a cabin near the elevators when I travelled with my sister.

A walker is fine, not sure what kind your loved one is using but if anything rent one of the smaller types that can easily fold.

The only advice I would give is that don't try to be first off the ship, try avoid the crowds....people tend to be quite rude and forget their manners when on vacation. I would also request a table near the entrance, sometimes the dining rooms can be very crowded and difficult to navigate through

Carnival will also rent a wheelchair if need be; this may be nice if you are going long distances and need the convenience.

Don't let it hold you back - enjoy your cruise

Yes, when my Mom and I cruise together, she always brings the walker. She can walk a short distance without it but the halls are long and getting on or off the ship it certainly helps. When we take it to the dining room, the staff will find a place for it and bring it back when we're ready to leave. For the safety briefing, we normally go to the location we are supposed to gather early so we don't have to worry about stairs. Definitely bring it - it makes the trip much easier for Mom.

DW has used a walker without a lot of difficulty on our five most recent cruises including Valparaiso to Buenos Aires on the Splendor starting last month. We have been looking for one with larger wheels to handle cobblestones and other rough surfaces such as the bumps in the Boca neighborhood of Buenos Aires. We saw one in Sweden a couple years back with 14-inch wheels but haven't located one for sale.

On our first Princess cruise, we were amazed at all the walkers and wheelchairs - they were wall-to-wall. They were somewhat cumbersome in the buffet, but the people managed to get their food and to their table without any problem. I wouldn't hesitate to go on a cruise with a walker, but getting onto a tender to take me ashore would be problematic.

If you haven't already booked I recommend choosing one the the newer larger ships, that have good stablizers. On the older ships, you can really feel the rock and roll. But some of those big new ships feel like you're on land

Just how steady or unsteady is this person you're concerned about? I'm a nurse and would say that for maybe 50% of my walker patients I would not recommend cruising. Wheel chairs and scooter do great. But lots of walker folk have difficulty even on dry land.

A walker is fine, not sure what kind your loved one is using but if anything rent one of the smaller types that can easily fold.

The only advice I would give is that don't try to be first off the ship, try avoid the crowds....people tend to be quite rude and forget their manners when on vacation. I would also request a table near the entrance, sometimes the dining rooms can be very crowded and difficult to navigate through

Carnival will also rent a wheelchair if need be; this may be nice if you are going long distances and need the convenience.

Don't let it hold you back - enjoy your cruise

You will have to arrange a wheelchair ahead of time. The ones onboard are for emergencies and aren't necessarily in good condition.

Look on the Disabled Cruising board for more info.

My husband now uses a rollator, the walker with a seat, while cruising. He doesn't use any device at home, but he cannot walk long distances, so it is perfect on a ship.

The staff of the Breeze and the Valor were extremely helpful. In the main dining room, he used his rollator to our table. One of the wait staff took it to the front of the dining room until we were ready to leave. It seemed that by the time he had his last sip of coffee, his chariot was there waiting for him.

He uses a cane on excursions, so I can't speak to the. I usually check to see if there are transporters to push a wheelchair to the end of the pier.

The only other tip I might offer. Sometimes we got on an elevator going in the opposite direction of where the crowd was going. What goes up, must come down... by the time we were back to our originating floor, we were settled in when others got on. Hope you understand what I mean by that.

Elevator ding tip. ONE ding always means UP, TWO always means down. You can determine where to place yourself before the light comes on.

I have used a walker for the last 3 years and we cruise at least 5 times a year. It is important that the walker folds up, otherwise you will not be able to get into a standard cruise door. We keep the walker in the shower while sleeping. The crew are most helpful; even on tenders they have lots of people to help you get on and off the tender and put the walker in a safe place.

The biggest problem is with the other passengers they are always in a big hurry and have almost knocked me over several time. I have learned to give way to most. I have tied ribbons on the wheels so people don't trip on them and try to move as fast as possible.

We live to cruise and Cruise to live is our motto. Next cruise will be our diamond cruise with Carnival and we have 20 with other cruise lines

Hope this helps

ddot

I have a walker with wheels and a seat. Mine folds up sideways and I can still use it when folded. That way in the elevator I can either fold it up so it is out of the way or I sit on it. It is only old here in Canada and I have never seen one like it. It has large wheels so that it makes it easier to use pretty well everywhere. I have never had a problem on the cruises with walker but the elevators can be a problem because people will rush in front of you and then you are left to wait.

tigercat

I use a walker with a seat on all my cruises. It gives me exercise and the seat comes in handy while waiting in line for the MDR. Also storage for camera sweater, food, etc. at shows, I tuck it in the nook of the steps going too the stage. Never had a problem.

I have used a rollator (walker with a seat) for our last 3 cruises. I have had no problems other than when trying to get down the hallways to the cabin in the morning if the cleaning carts are in the hallway. My DH will usually fold it up and carry it past the cart for me though.

In the dining room, they will take the walker and put it to the side until we are finished with dinner. They are extremely accommodating.

It's great to use in the buffet area because I can set my tray on the seat until I find a table. Often times, one of the crew members will help carry it too.

It's wonderful when there are times you have to wait in line too. I can't walk long distance but I use the walker to get exercise while on the ship. I can take a rest whenever I want. Don't need to worrry about there being nowhere to sit.

You will have to arrange a wheelchair ahead of time. The ones onboard are for emergencies and aren't necessarily in good condition.

Look on the Disabled Cruising board for more info.

Correct, sorry I should have mentioned that........thanks for the help

Has anyone had experience with an elderly parent who uses a walker to get around? Is this a huge problem on a cruise ship or not a big deal if they are able to easily manage getting around with the walker.

Traveleing with my mom not quite elderly(middle aged gem:D) & she has a fold up walker, we encountered almost no problems! In the dining room the front desk staff will help a person to their table if there are stairs or diners in the way;) to your table! VIP service lol!

Also when tendering go to the "guest services" desk & an employee will walk & assist her/walker to the tender, easy breezy!

Only snag "some" ships the door doesn't magnetize open to your cabin(Destiny/Conquest,Splendor class) so its hard to hold the door open & put the walker in the cabin, on the Fantasy class the door has a magnet on the back which makes hauling the walker in the room easy! ALSO they must be folded to fit in a "standard" cabin door FYI!

Have a great cruise & same to your family member in the walker!:):)

***Correction*** Mom says shes to hip to use a walker, she uses a "rollator" (walker with 4 wheels, brakes, & a fold up seat) MY BAD!

JEEZ... at first glance from the title, I though you were travelling with a zombie... (Sorry... Walking Dead fans would understand)

Lol! I have seen some of those "walkers" on deck early in the morning. ;)

But seriously, thank you for all your great advice. I will look into the rollator for her. She is able to walk enough to go through a buffet line and small walking areas. Traveling from her room throughout the ship may be a bit long for her. I will look into cruises with no tenders as a possibility. She seems to be very stable when she walks. I told my mom that I'd ask my cruise critic family and they would give me the best information! :)

Lol! I have seen some of those "walkers" on deck early in the morning. ;)

But seriously, thank you for all your great advice. I will look into the rollator for her. She is able to walk enough to go through a buffet line and small walking areas. Traveling from her room throughout the ship may be a bit long for her. I will look into cruises with no tenders as a possibility. She seems to be very stable when she walks. I told my mom that I'd ask my cruise critic family and they would give me the best information! :)

Now that i stand corrected from walker to rollator they are pretty cool! very light weight, brakes, & a chair! They also fold pretty flat! Mom was the envy during black friday at a "dept sore" the "HOURS" it took to checkout she had the only seat in line;);););)

Archived