Measured or free pour for drinks?

seaver

Free pour as stated But.....I noticed last time around that they pour a much more generous measure if you order at the bar and watch the drink being prepared. When ordering from the server, I frequently noticed that the drinks brought were, what can I say, less potent :eek:. Perhaps it's just me though my 'spidery senses' when it comes to my rum & cokes rarely let me down. :cool:

Its pay pour.

Good one ! :)

Ok, everybody is right and wrong.

I just spent time AND money during 8 days at the Martini bar on a ship, and we had plenty of chats with a super friendly barman.

Standard NCL drinks is 3oz of alcohol. It is free pour ( except for glasses of wine ) BUT BUT BUT the bartenders HAVE to count in their head to have the right amount of alcohol.

For a few $ they throw in more ?? Nope :( , maybe once in a while but not everytime. Why ?? They punch in the POS system all drinks and they DO have an inventory to take after every cruises. The amout of alcohol sold must match ( to a certain % ) the amout of alcohol missing.

"My" bartender had 11 years of experience on cruise ships... And still he has to count to match inventory.... Plus have you looked up and saw how many cameras are watching them ??

If Ncl suspects a bartender of being " freestyle" ;) then they review all of their shifts.... If Ncl is right... 1 warning... Then you are sent home. And this is what they are all afraid of.

No employee will take that chance for a few $.

Anyways, this is what I learned for one guy. Maybe you had different version of this but it all makes sence to me.

Sebas - cool info! Thanks. Love reading stuff like that (and being addicted to Bar Rescue, it's very interesting!)

From my point of view, never really had a weak drink on my NCL cruises - the frozen ones seem less potent, but a regular cocktail is always right on and sometimes a little strong.

As attested by cruzface on our recent Epic sailing, the martinis served in Posh were very very potent. LMAO!

I just spent time AND money during 8 days at the Martini bar on a ship, and we had plenty of chats with a super friendly barman.

Standard NCL drinks is 3oz of alcohol. It is free pour ( except for glasses of wine ) BUT BUT BUT the bartenders HAVE to count in their head to have the right amount of alcohol.

For a few $ they throw in more ?? Nope :( , maybe once in a while but not everytime. Why ?? They punch in the POS system all drinks and they DO have an inventory to take after every cruises. The amout of alcohol sold must match ( to a certain % ) the amout of alcohol missing.

"My" bartender had 11 years of experience on cruise ships... And still he has to count to match inventory.... Plus have you looked up and saw how many cameras are watching them ??

If Ncl suspects a bartender of being " freestyle" ;) then they review all of their shifts.... If Ncl is right... 1 warning... Then you are sent home. And this is what they are all afraid of.

Anyways, this is what I learned for one guy. Maybe you had different version of this but it all makes sence to me.

Well you might have just saved me some $$ on my NCL cruise as it looks like throwing money will not get me more booze in my glass. :D I also spend a lot of time and money in the Martini bar, something I can't do on land because I do not have to drive home after diner or bar hoping on a cruise ship

Sebas - cool info! Thanks. Love reading stuff like that (and being addicted to Bar Rescue, it's very interesting!)

From my point of view, never really had a weak drink on my NCL cruises - the frozen ones seem less potent, but a regular cocktail is always right on and sometimes a little strong.

As attested by cruzface on our recent Epic sailing, the martinis served in Posh were very very potent. LMAO!

Ditto to your comment about Sebas 030's comment and Bar Rescue. :)

I've had the same experiences regarding the frozen drinks and the regular drinks.

It was my understanding they are taking inventory all day every day, from shift to shift. They have to know if they are making the budget on alcohol or not so they can adjust specials accordingly.

Most of the bartenders that I have had on NCL do a very good job and I am an ex bartender who likes to sit at the bar and watch them. They do free pour and it is a good drink. If they do pour a 3 oz drink as one poster has stated that is basically a double shot you are getting as industry standard with the measured pourers is 1 1/8 ounce to 1 1/2 ounce. I do tip the bartenders extra and they do appreciate it. I don't think it makes much of a difference on the drink you will get as they make a good drink to begin with, but they do keep a good eye on you and you seldom have to wait for another drink when you want one.

It was my understanding they are taking inventory all day every day, from shift to shift. They have to know if they are making the budget on alcohol or not so they can adjust specials accordingly.

They do "THE" inventory on the last night of the cruise, punch in all the numbers, prepare the order for the next cruise ( alcohol, snacks, etc... ).

Maybe they do some inventory during the cruise, but the "official" one is on the last night. They also desinfect everything, redo bar setup, making the bar look like brand new for the next guests. On the morning we all get off the ship, once they get the call we are ALL off the ship, they have a 30 minutes cleaning session again and then they can get off the ship until all aboard for crew. In example in NYC it gives them about 2hr of break before a new cruise.

What a non stop crazy life they have....

Dear ncl customers, thank you for letting us know of the discrepancy in drink consistency on our ships based on tip amounts, to correct this we will be installing drink measurers in our bars so that every customer has the same experience.

Sincerely,

Ncl

(obviously not real)

:)

On RCI it takes a couple days but when we frequent same bars and same servers they do notice the extra tip ($1-2 depeonding on drinks). Usually by mid cruise the drinks (Bourbon & water) become not only stronger but served on larger glass. And RCI is about as tight on control and costs as anyone without auto-pour machines.

I suspect that even with an inventory system the good bartenders learn pretty quick who the Georges are and who don't add tips and can adjust drinks accordingly so it all averages out and the good tippers return to tip again.

Most of the bartenders that I have had on NCL do a very good job and I am an ex bartender who likes to sit at the bar and watch them. They do free pour and it is a good drink. If they do pour a 3 oz drink as one poster has stated that is basically a double shot you are getting as industry standard with the measured pourers is 1 1/8 ounce to 1 1/2 ounce. I do tip the bartenders extra and they do appreciate it. I don't think it makes much of a difference on the drink you will get as they make a good drink to begin with, but they do keep a good eye on you and you seldom have to wait for another drink when you want one.

So they do a 6 count pour?

Archived