Vines Wine and Seafood Bar No Sushi w/o Wine Purchase

Aislinncursala

We were shocked on the Ruby Princess that there was no sushi bar in the early evening. Then after a few days I checked with the Purser's Desk and we were told that there was sushi available in this bar only with the purchase of wine. Neither of us can drink alcohol for medical reasons so we did not have any sushi. Has anyone else had this disappointment?

Hmm, they have vegan sushi in Vines? :confused:

As for the rules, those are the rules and we lived within them. If you wanted sushi I bet there were a few people in vines who would have accepted your glass of wine on your behalf. :)

LOL Dudleydog - I think I mentioned on our board that Adam and I go there and will go there soon - every night before dinner. I drink wine - Adam does not - but they have always served us both whatever we ask for. Wonder if Cyril our barteneder from last year is still working there...? He was a great guy and I can't see him turning anyone away. I think there is a nominal charge for a cheese platter - I would think they could have just charged that or a little more for the sushi....hmmm....can't wait - 3 more weeks!

We were shocked on the Ruby Princess that there was no sushi bar in the early evening. Then after a few days I checked with the Purser's Desk and we were told that there was sushi available in this bar only with the purchase of wine. Neither of us can drink alcohol for medical reasons so we did not have any sushi. Has anyone else had this disappointment?

Well, there are signs that mention the fact that you have to make a wine purchase to get sushi or tapas... Talk to the bartenders next time and see if you can make an equivalent purchase of something that is non-alcoholic to get the sushi.

My wife and I were sincerely planning to check it out. But we were never hungry enough, early enough...

We were actually wondering if the wine purchase could be a few servings of Sake. Because, you know, sushi.

Maybe next cruise...

I will tell you that the best deal is purchasing a wine flight (i think it included smaller glasses of about 3 wines at least) which was around $7 on our last cruise. The wine by the glass was more then $7 and you seemed to get more wine in the wine flight option.

We ordered a few glasses of wine but we were able to get a couple rounds of the sushi which a non-drinking member of our party had no problem helping us out with. There were definitely no evil stares by the bar staff.

Hmmmmmmm, tell me more about the Sushi and Tapas. We will be on the Caribbean Princess in two weeks. We've been to Vines on the Star Princess several years ago when Vines was a new venue on the bigger ships and they did not offer Sushi and Tapas back then.

What kind of Sushi and Tapas did they have to offer? Was it unlimited, ie. could you make and evening dinner out of it, or was it a one drink, one plate type of deal? Love good Sushi when I can get it, we live in Upstate New Hampshire where they think Sushi is when you catch a trout and take a bite out of it while it is still flopping around. The last Tapas I had was at Las Caracolas in Barcelona in the late 70's.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day

"pairodocs"

We had no trouble at all asking for a "refill" of our sushi plates without buying more wine.

As for what we had, we had only found Vines near the end of our cruise so we didn't partake multiple nights BUT what we had was very tasty and freshly prepared by a sushi chef behind the bar.

We had california rolls, and several sashimi that was yellowtail, red tuna, and maybe salmon.

There was no menu to order off of, you took what they gave you, and each round was the same.

We didn't see the tapas menu but if its anything like the sushi you can't go wrong. I wouldn't make an evening of it but it definitely works as an appetizer before going to the MDR, although for a lighter eater it may work for you.

Hmmmmmmm, tell me more about the Sushi and Tapas. We will be on the Caribbean Princess in two weeks. We've been to Vines on the Star Princess several years ago when Vines was a new venue on the bigger ships and they did not offer Sushi and Tapas back then.

What kind of Sushi and Tapas did they have to offer? Was it unlimited, ie. could you make and evening dinner out of it, or was it a one drink, one plate type of deal? Love good Sushi when I can get it, we live in Upstate New Hampshire where they think Sushi is when you catch a trout and take a bite out of it while it is still flopping around. The last Tapas I had was at Las Caracolas in Barcelona in the late 70's.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Please dont get too excited! We live in a city where sushi is quite plentiful and I have enjoyed the sushi well enough at vines, but its not heavy on fresh raw fish - for obvious reasons. I certainly would not go there FOR the sushi. The tapas in fact was more interesting, but I don't remember what we had. We were asked whether we wanted Tapas OR sushi and a small plate with maybe 4 pieces appeared.

Could be a very light meal if combined with some things from the International Cafe.

But please, I read real excitement in your post. You will want to moderate your expectations on this!:D

My first Princess cruise was on the Emerald in 2008. This was the first ship to have the IC & Vines. When the tapas were in the IC, IMHO, there was more variety and they were definately better quality. I cannot remember if the tapas were free in the IC but the Sushi was free in Vines. It was also of better quality. When I sailed on the Ruby in 2009, tapas were being served in Vines but were still gratis without a wine purchase. I noted the tapas and sushi were sorely lacking in quality and variety. I noted the charge for sushi (buy wine) when I sailed the Ruby in 2011. I don't mind buying wine to get the sushi or tapas, I just wish they were both better quality. Just my thoughts.

Bob

Thanks for the info on the sushi and tapas. Guess we'll have to buy a flight of wine and try both and if that doesn't work for us we can always get a plate of the shrimp from the International cafe. Again thanks.

Have a great day

Chuck and Sue Ann

"pairodocs"

My wife and I were sincerely planning to check it out. But we were never hungry enough, early enough...

We were actually wondering if the wine purchase could be a few servings of Sake. Because, you know, sushi.

Maybe next cruise...

I'd certainly welcome the addition of some good sake to the menu at Vines!!

Archived