Sovereign Refit

I just watched the 5-part series on The Learning Channel about the Sovereign's refit. This was a very interesting and informative program. Does anyone know when this took place? Also, I got the impression that not all the work had been completed by the time they were taking passengers on again. Anyone on the Sovereign after the refit and was all the work done when you arrived on that first cruise after the refit?

We were on the SOS Feb 4 the ship was in perfect shape . All the changes were nice. I couldn't say the same for the weather. We wasn't able to go to Coco Cay but we still had a great time . We have been on the SOS 3 times, its a great getaway for us.

I happen to be watching the program right now (VHS) and the shakedown was 12/9/04. They took a 4 day trip with employees to test all the systems. The windjammer,Sorrento's,coffee bar were not open. They had to do the annual coast guard inspection along with the refurbishment inspection. all crew had to be trained and tested,kitchen staff trained, lifeboats launched and dancers had to practice in the unfinished lounge. Managemant teams (passengers) had to run water,flush toilets,run TV and phone,etc. They kept having water leaks above the computer rooms,ceiling panels laying around. They even had to borrow some leather furniture from officers cabins for the public areas when a container was misplaced in Miami.

Sounds like a hectic pace for all that to get done in less than a month. I heard that the Enchantment was scheduled to be out 4 months but they are stretching it too, right?

I know the Sovereign got new cabins and balconies but not cut in half!

Really interesting program. They will be re-running part 3-4 & 5 June 19th if you missed it.

After watching the show I wonder how many people are interested in sailing on her again. I sailed on her when she was fairly new and then did a quicky cruise a couple years ago. Now I am thinking of sailing her again to see the changes in person.

I know time is money, but it felt like the schedule was too tight to me. I think having another five days would have helped them out a great deal.

And after all the fuss was made about the clock not working, they never made a anouncement at the end of the show about it. I remember seeing them get the hands to move at one point...but, that doesn't necessarily mean that it had been fixed. They never told us, which leads me to believe it wasn't.

Does anyone know?

I was on the Sovereign in 1999 and have since enjoyed the Voyager class ships. I never thought I would be interested in returning to the smaller ship. However, after watching the program, I would definitely consider the Sovereign now. I found the program very exciting. I wish they would have given themselves a few more days. The pace was very frantic!!

I hope the program boosts interest in the Sovereign.

I was very interested in the show . The SOS is a beautiful ship but I really think it was rushed. I'm glad to hear that there has been passengers on her since and say that it is beautiful. When they did the shakedown, I'm sure there were problems we weren't told about. The show was very informatiive. It really showed us how one of this ships are refitted. The drydock was amazing. I always thought they lifted the ship out of the water. Silly me.

They drain the water from the lock. Seeing the ship out of the water was cool.

I agree about the clock. They made such a big deal out of it through the entire show they never showed it to us in place working.

Who I really feel bad for is the Cruise Director who had to leave early and could not sail with her. I know he really wanted to see it through. They are replaying it in August for anyone who missed it.

I loved it!

Ann25

I hope the program boosts interest in the Sovereign.

I hope not!!! We live in Tampa and go quite often forbquick weekend get-aways with no problems booking cabins for a bargain. More interest - less bargains!! lol We will be on the SOS again for 4th of July weekend.

:(

not to be a wet blanket but I just want to make sure people don't expect too much, I like the sov as we live in central fla and its a great quick getaway 3-4 times a year. But compared to our once or twice a year 7 day trips on voyager and radiance class she still doesn't even compare. The carpet and decor does look a lot better, boleros and dueling pianos is great, johnny rockets and the windjammer look great, but the cabins are still on the small side, the shower still kept the curtain, there are selected things that weren't updated like some signing, the tv doesn't have the RCI interactive, there is still a very small centrum you are still getting an older ship. Don't get me wrong though I still think its a great cruise but don't go in expecting too much.

I think that most people know that the cruise lines use their older ships on the shorter runs and keep their expectations in check. This ship is good for first time crusiers wanting to see what cruising is all about or for the ones like me that want a quick get away.

I think this has been a fascinating show! :) I haven't seen the final episodes, but will have to catch them in repeats. Glad to know that things since then have gone better, after smoothing out the wrinkles from the dry dock.

Having seen the show, and having been on the Disney Magic on the first cruise after a dry dock, I now UNDERSTAND why there were little things that were just not done...screws and plaster on the bathroom floor, a door to the verandah that would not open, public areas not quite ready (they were still installing carpet on embarkation day). Now I know what an ambitious schedule the cruise lines have and how pretty much anything can set you back. Luckily on that Magic cruise things were taken care of pretty quickly.

We were on the Sovereign for the 4 day Bahamas cruise which departed May 23, 2005. I think the old gal looks pretty good. The shower in our D1 stateroom was larger than what we experienced on the Rhapsody last fall.

I hate to report that the Centrum clock wasn't working while we were onboard. However, I am pleased to report that Cruise Director Keith was back on board and in fine spirits. He is very amusing and personable.

Except for the crowds of drunks on their various senior class trips, it was an excellent cruise.

Lightsluvr

we watched the dry dock episodes. Now I see why they had all the trouble with the first few cruises. We have been on SOS twice before and are going in Oct.

We cant wait!!!!:) :)

We cruised SOS May 30. We also had a great time. The ship looks good! Yes the cabins are smaller than the newer ships, but face it you are usually in the cabin to change or sleep, not much else. Our bathroom floor flooded one day, and they had it clean and fixed in about an hour. I am not sure how it happened, but they did a good job taking care of the problem.

For long weekend getaways or introductory cruising this is a great ship!

Enjoy!!!

Rob

How about the problems regarding payment? The shipyard authorities in Freeport agreed to a partial payment when they were complete and the rest payable in 30 days...then when they were ready to set sail for Miami, they changed their tune! The guy from RCCL was really p.o.'d. I actually checked their website afterward to see if it was still a destination because we didn't think much of Freeport - I hoped it was removed from itineraries.

Hello

I was on the Sovereign May 2 4 nights and again June 6 4 nights the ship is in great shape it is a beautiful ship for her age We enjoyed it so much we booked it again in sept . It was nice to see what all they did on the refurb If you sail on her you will enjoy I think Have a great day James

Good to hear!

We'll be on her July 18 for a family reunion. Looking forward to my first time on RCCL, and, after watching the series, it will be cool to see all of the areas on SOS that were featured on the program.

We were on the Sovereign for the 4 day Bahamas cruise which departed May 23, 2005. I think the old gal looks pretty good. The shower in our D1 stateroom was larger than what we experienced on the Rhapsody last fall.

I hate to report that the Centrum clock wasn't working while we were onboard. However, I am pleased to report that Cruise Director Keith was back on board and in fine spirits. He is very amusing and personable.

Except for the crowds of drunks on their various senior class trips, it was an excellent cruise.

Lightsluvr

Hi!! We were on the same sailing... the drunks on senior class trips were out in full force weren't they?

I could have sworn the clock was working but perhaps I didn't pay too close of attention. I guess I wasn't too concerned with time anyhow.;)

Keith is back and very fun, he kept things light. I do have to say I found it very amusing in the refit show where tha captain and he both grew out their beards pretty fully. Probably the only chance they get to do that.

We were pleasently surprised with the size of our SOV room. Though we had nothing to compare it to, we had expected the worst and were happy when we didn't feel crowded once all week. Now I'm interested to see what other ships have in comparison.

. I heard that the Enchantment was scheduled to be out 4 months but they are stretching it too, right?

I know the Sovereign got new cabins and balconies but not cut in half!

The Enchantment arrived in Rotterdam on about 5/15, She is due back in the States around 7/2, and goes back in service 7/7. Actual time in Holland about 5 -6 weeks

Archived