Deciding if I need "Cancel for any reason" insurance

TexasMoogy

I put my deposit down on my Aug cruise and bought the airline tickets. I know I am in my window for pre-existing condition waiver, which I want to get. I am wondering if there might be reasons for me to pay extra for cancel for any reason insurance. What are some circumstances that have caused you to use this coverage (or wish you had it)?

The regular cancellation seems to cover illness or death of close family members. We aren't likely to have job conflicts since we are planning this far in advance...

Thanks for any words of wisdom,

TexasMoogy

I remember a post from someone whose husband at the last minute could not get off of work. They had to cancel the cruise. Brainstorming here... what if your house burned down, there was a natural disaster, your best friend was dying of cancer, your pet of 15 years died (seriously, I have a friend who took two days off of work because she couldn't stop crying)? OK, that's all the nasty things I can think of off the top of my head.

I guess what it really boils down to is how much more it would cost to get the added insurance and would you be willing to lose everything you paid for your cruise.

I have some pre-existing conditions, including lupus. I purchased it. Just in case. Now I booked my cruise almost a year in advance, and a lot can happen in that time. I felt it was the best thing for me. Now I can't say what is best for you.

Wish I was sailing tomorrow. I feel so alive when I'm at sea.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
I put my deposit down on my Aug cruise and bought the airline tickets. I know I am in my window for pre-existing condition waiver, which I want to get. I am wondering if there might be reasons for me to pay extra for cancel for any reason insurance. What are some circumstances that have caused you to use this coverage (or wish you had it)?

The regular cancellation seems to cover illness or death of close family members. We aren't likely to have job conflicts since we are planning this far in advance...

Thanks for any words of wisdom,

TexasMoogy

Do you have pets? have cancelled at the last minute when one of my cats got sick and I could not leave her with others not knowing what was wrong. Luckily she recovered but I was out alot of money. Something to think about.

I generally don't get the "any reason" insurance if I can absorb the loss of the trip cost. If it's a $2000 trip, I can self-insure the possibility of cancellation; if it's $10,000, not so much. If I have to cancel, I can lose the money, and I've probably saved more over the years by not paying the extra premiums than I'd lose on any one trip.

If I'm traveling with someone else, and there's a possibility that they might cancel, I make sure that I'm covered against getting hit with a single supplement or being liable for their half of the trip.

Archived