Enclosed balcony on Dawn

vanilaise

Anyone ever been in an "enclosed balcony"?... our rep said we got "upgraded to an exclosed balcony on deck 9 at the front of the ship, it is literally right next to a high end suite... any thoughts on these? I have no preference so not sure if its an upgrade or what

Most likely it is a "hull" balcony. Meaning that instead of deck railing keeping you on board, it is steel hull plating.

These face forward and look over the bow. The balcony area is quite large! Seems like a good upgrade to me. :)

If your "hull" balcony faces to the side, the steel hull plating is sort of like a picture frame around the opening, maybe one foot wide. The balcony itself is the same size as any other along the side of the ship.

What was your original booking category?? If it was a BX, then that was a guarantee and NCL assigned you whatever they want within the general category.

If you booked a specific cabin number, then you need to figure out "who" upgraded you...NCL doesn't "upgraded" without contacting you (if booked direct with NCL, or contacting your travel agent (if you booked through them). In general, the forward balcony cabins are a lower grade than midship, and would not be considered an upgrade.

Most likely it is a "hull" balcony. Meaning that instead of deck railing keeping you on board, it is steel hull plating.

These face forward and look over the bow. The balcony area is quite large! Seems like a good upgrade to me. :)

If your "hull" balcony faces to the side, the steel hull plating is sort of like a picture frame around the opening, maybe one foot wide. The balcony itself is the same size as any other along the side of the ship.[/quote]

the bottom paragraph in bold is completely correct.....I have stayed in several hulled balcony's and enjoyed them....you don't get as much wind with the sliding door open either.....the forward facing balcony's are Penthouse Suites not hulled balcony's.....:D

The balcony you were assigned (cabin 9508) is a hull balcony in the sense that the balcony is enlcosed slightly with a steel frame (hull of the ship) which is approx 12 inches wide. Its like a picture frame around your balcony, as another poster has stated. We have stayed in this exact balcony and enjoyed it. It provided a sense of provacy and the hull acted as a wind break when the ship was sailing. Does not impede your view. We also enjoy feeling the movement of the ship, which is more prevelant when you are located in the front or aft of the ship. A slight perk was that our cabin steward was also assigned to the suite right next door to our cabin. We received exceptional service from our room steward throughout the cruise. I would absolutely book this cabin again.

Archived